Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: American Bandstand secret

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@sunshine45 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

It is so sad that people had to hide what they are, even sadder that there are some people today who want to go back to that time.

there are often a number of people that say they prefer "the old days" because times were much "simpler" back then.

I always want to ask them simpler for who ?

BINGO!

Big hugs to you @QVCkitty1 and @sunshine45Woman Happy

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

OP: Wondering what your source is for this info? I'm 69 and used to watch it now and then but those kids were a lot older than I was.

I read it in today's NY Post.  I really wish people who start threads like this would provide documentation for what they are writing, esp. when beginning the post with "Apparenty."

I will not believe a post  - unless I've already read something myself - that is undocumented.  Why should I?

Honored Contributor

@mollybgood wrote:

Apparently many of the young people on the show were gay.   Clark knew and was afraid if the viewers knew they would change the dial.  Arlene (the Arlene & Kenny couple) is gay, for instance. Justine and Bob were my favorite couple.

What's the point of this if at all true? How does this in anyway affect us more than 50 years later?

Honored Contributor

I read it too. I think it's mean to invade these peoples lives. They are private citizens, and shouldn't have to have information  about themselves ,plastered all over the media. Who knows if its even true?  If it is , it's no ones business but theirs

All they did was to appear on a TV show when they were not much more than children. They were never in show biz. 

I think most of them probably led exemplary lives. They probably led boring ones by today's standards

Respected Contributor

So??? Too bad they had to hide it. I was too young to care about the show, so, while I knew about it, i wasn't a fan.

Honored Contributor

If they were gay, at that age they probably didn't even know it!! I don't care if they were or not-they sure could dance.

There was a rumor circulating for years that Connie Francis and Dlck Clark were having an affair. What a bunch of hooey. No proof-just trying to get something on Dlck Clark. They were friends-good friends. I wonder if when she had her trouble he helped her, but I don't think anything ever helped her. She's ok now, I know I read that for sure.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline wrote:

If they were gay, at that age they probably didn't even know it!! I don't care if they were or not-they sure could dance.

@Judaline, , with all due respect every single gay person I've ever talked to about it has said they knew from the time they could formulate thoughts that they were attracted to the same sex. To paraphrase Gaga, they were born that way.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori  I know they are born that way, just didn't think they knew that early. I learned something.

Esteemed Contributor

you ask easier for who?  Well I feel it was for me,  we didn't have all these issues and problems ,  life was simple no cell phones, computers, terrorism etc.  kids could stay out past dark and play in the neighborhoods without the fear of abduction or worse.  People actually talked and didn't just text each other,  society has lost the social skills.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town and it was safe and everyone knew everyone I don't know ,  but I sometimes long for those old days and the simpler times.   I do realize that maybe it wasn't as good for every young person ,  but compared to now Imo I'm glad I was young then.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kitty Galore wrote:

you ask easier for who?  Well I feel it was for me,  we didn't have all these issues and problems ,  life was simple no cell phones, computers, terrorism etc.  kids could stay out past dark and play in the neighborhoods without the fear of abduction or worse.  People actually talked and didn't just text each other,  society has lost the social skills.  Maybe it's because I grew up in a small town and it was safe and everyone knew everyone I don't know ,  but I sometimes long for those old days and the simpler times.   I do realize that maybe it wasn't as good for every young person ,  but compared to now Imo I'm glad I was young then.  

@Kitty Galore you were very fortunate to have lived in a small town but many of the problems we have today DID exist back then too but wasn't known to everyone!

Terrorism, bigotry, heroin, unwed mothers, juvenile problems, social diseases, alcoholism, war, protests, riots, crime, corruption etc. All of the above existed back then too.