Honored Contributor

I've been on the internet with Comcast for the second time within 3 days. I just found out out that Comcast changed around their HD channels without FIRST notifying their customers.

They did that so that the customers (probably who were leaving in droves) could get more channels even though they weren't HD. In other words, not as many HD channels.

Anyway, this has thrown me over the top. I've decided to change to Verizon Cable starting maybe next week (as soon as ALL) of the holidays are over and I know people will be back to work.

I don't want any interruption. This is why people HATE Comcast. They don't just dislike them they feel very strongly about them. Ha!

I pay a lot of money for all of the HD channels and to not sign a contract (for this exact reason) and not get bundled (i.e. internet, telephone, cable, etc).

Anyway, any of you who have Comcast I don't know how far it extends but just wanted you to know. They've changed the HD channels.

Super Contributor

I was unhappy with Comcast, principally because of the expense. Verizon was offering a "great deal" so I switched.

Within 2 weeks I had to upgrade because I missed so many channels.I also think that using Verizon's On Demand is so overly complicated compared to Comcast, it's frustrating. Both companies could do better with the program guide. Life would be simpler if listings were given numerically and alphabetically. Would certainly make comparing carriers easier when signing up.

Neither company can seem to cancel the "Call Waiting" feature. I hate the beep!

Respected Contributor
On 4/2/2015 Anglophilly said:

I was unhappy with Comcast, principally because of the expense. Verizon was offering a "great deal" so I switched.

Within 2 weeks I had to upgrade because I missed so many channels.I also think that using Verizon's On Demand is so overly complicated compared to Comcast, it's frustrating. Both companies could do better with the program guide. Life would be simpler if listings were given numerically and alphabetically. Would certainly make comparing carriers easier when signing up.

Neither company can seem to cancel the "Call Waiting" feature. I hate the beep!

Trust me they are all alike they all have the twist and turns I have had Comcast which is the pitts, I had Verizon in NYC, I like it, I also had TWC, AT&T, DirecTV I now have WOW internet service nothing else...

Most of what I want I will watch the next day for free on the internet and you can set up a tablet to connect to your TV to get the stuff off of the small screen on to the big screen...

I subscribe to The Blaze TV, Netflix's, CBS apt, BYUTV which is free I also have Roku, there are others out there even Apple has a connection, as well as Amazon. How many stations do you really or can watch there is always some way to get what you want most of the time.

One can also get an antenna, I once subscribed to a digital antenna company $10. which only showed our local and non cable stations, but the cable company shut them down so much for free enterprise in 2015.

I got rid of the big phone companies and only pay $15 a mo. with all the bells and whistles Broad voice. conglomerate crop complicate everything that is why everything cost so much...

Honored Contributor

Definitely all alike, you will troubles with Verizon too, bet on it.

Respected Contributor
On 4/3/2015 Shelbelle said:

Definitely all alike, you will troubles with Verizon too, bet on it.

I no longer live in NYC and Verizon is not in my area...

One of the things I liked about Verizon was a perk they use to offer was MSN email it is the best service out there... and that I miss!

Honored Contributor

Well last night I came upon something VERY disturbing. Now I'm not a pr8u,de. However, at least 3 maybe 4 of the channels I'd picked for my FAVorites (you know, you push and it goes ot it) they came up as real p, 0*,rr,nn, o. It was terrible. So, what was originally maybe USA or something like that (a normal cable channel) it was not what I said. I looked at the clock (I was laying in bed) and it was around 10:00! This wasn't channels stuck away somewhere, these were channels which you'd normally watch something like old "Law and Order", things like that! It showed everything.. I thought I'd made a mistake. NO, no mistakes. He'd downloaded the corrected ones (in other words) the one's I had before were now ...you guessed it! They weren't HD either.

The person who I was emailing and helped me last night said the phone was ringing off of the hook. He said Comcast made the changes and didn't notify their customers. I asked him how wide of an area and he said he didn't know (I live in Northern Va).

He said it was done so the PC customers would have more stations (this was to get people like my friend who has basic cable to change over to mid-cable stations. I pay for everything, which I don't mind. I want to get STARZ and all of them. I've never had an issue (just don't put those stations mentioned above on my favorites) and I don't know if they were HD or not because I never watched them.

Phew! The drama is finally over. I know I seem stupid, but it bothers me for two reasons, one is that unknowingly I kept changing over to that P station (until I figured out how to take it off) and I still haven't had the time to go to the TV and reset the other favorites (the new USA HD, etc).

How can they do that and not notify their customers and not expect them to be upset? I apologized to the person on the end of the email (I wasn't mean just matter of fact).

They said, "Thanks for apologizing. I'm just glad I'm not TALKING to these people because I can't imagine what they'd SAY to me". Ha!

Trusted Contributor

I was just on "instant chat" with Comcast because my bill went up to $160 per month this time with no explanation! I chatted with a lady and after her leaving me dangling for 12 minutes, she came back on to say that my "special pricing" ran out this month, thus a $22 increase. I told her I would be leaving Comcast soon and would NOT recommend anyone signing on with them, if she cannot extend my "special pricing" another few months. Of course she wasn't impressed with my threat!!

Honored Contributor

Yes, suzie, that's what they all do. I have friends that have Direct TV (they left for the same reason). I have other friends who have Verizon (and they left for the same reason).

Two of these sets of friends ended up getting antennas. If someone gets an antenna (like I used to have) I suggest you put a rotor on it (you can turn it by motor inside of the house). It worked really well.

I guess it's like so many things. You know I remember years ago when my girls were little. My late husband and I would drive our girls on 2 and 3 day trips (like Philadelphai Pennsylvania to see the liberty bell, etc) and he'd always take the most remote back roads. I'd be like, "I'm scared. Let's get back on the highway". But he like the beauty of our country and liked those dirt roads to what seemed like real, real country.

We always talked aout even these houses where it looked like 4 rooms (tiny), chickens in the front yard, really run down houses, there would always be a dish satellite sitting on the roof. Obviously you probably couldn't have cable out there way too far out. My husand would laugh and say that no matter what people could always find the money to pay the cable bill.

Sometimes it amazes me the amount of money people are able to come up with to pay their cable bills. I don't have to worry about money and it still boggles my mind on how expensive it is.

The problem is if you live in some apartment buildings you have to pay for some kind of cable. That's the case where my daughter lives.

Frequent Contributor

I had Comcast for over 15 yrs. Then I had issues (this was back in 2006)... and they were impossible then... I switched to FIOS as soon as it was in my area... and I have NEVER been sorry. I have had to call customer service over the years and THEY ARE ALWAYS AVAILABLE AND HELPFUL... I have NO problem with them at all.. I think you will be happy if you switch to them...

Honored Contributor

My electrician who knows just about everything about electronics, said to stick with Comcast, said Verizon was terrible, as far as always raising their rates.