Honored Contributor

Re: ATTN: Judaline (not DAYS related)

@LoriLori wrote:

Squeeeeeeeee!  Watching "Whatevs Happened to Baby Jane."  Little Jane is singing you-know-what right now.  I wasn't supposed to be here but our plans changed from today to yesterday.  Yay! 

Am enjoying Feud so much.  As well as Big Little Lies.  And looking forward to the Bronte profile but that could be a sad story depending on what they emphasize.

Darn, I was gone most of the day-forgot about recording it just because I haven't seen it beginning to end in a while. 

Today I put on my eye makeup and did a couple things before I left-a last minute look in the mirror and what? A broken blood vessel. The white of my eye was now red. I think I did too strenuous a workout at the Y yesterday and then this morning a couple of other exercises. I need a supplement to strengthen blood vessels. Anybody know any? Perhaps google will. I did this once a long time ago doing push ups-coach said I wasn't breathing. (I forgot). There's an old joke-doc says, 'did you ever have this before?' I say, 'yes.' Doc says, 'well, you've got it again.' And a hahaha doc.

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, sorry, no help here.  Never had that happen and know nothing about it.  Hope it's better today.  We need you to be healthy!!!!

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, I see from Books Forum you're a fan of Bobby Darin.  Are you a fan of Frankie Avalon?  I had heard the name obviously, he's like icon-level famous -- but the only place I've seen him is hawking food on QVC and I find it so weird.  What's up with that?

Honored Contributor

@LoriLori I liked Frankie Avalon in his  prime-"Hey, Veeeeenus'' is about as far as it goes. And there was a song he sang-I think from Hairspray? that I really liked. And boy he had a great self tanning produuct that is not available anymore and some homeopathic creams that work! But this is all the new Frankie Avalon. I don't care about his meatballs. I buy mine from Trader Joe and they're better than home made! When they show him cooking his old family recipes I can't believe it. Frankie Avalon? Just sing, Frankie. Forget the hawking. Please?

One can't compare Frankie with Bobby. He had charisma. He had something. The way he moved when he sang? He was something. If you didn't know, he had a heart condition from rhumatic fever as a kid. Doc told his parents he wouldn't live to be 10 or something. This kid overheard this and decided to live his life to the fullest. He did everything (when he wasn't ailing). He was a complete daredevil. Like he was just waiting for death to grab him. Come and get me kinda thing. So I'm just beginning this-written by his son. More as it  comes in.

Never forgot this-my mom and dad went to see Frank Sinatra. When they came home my dad told me Sinatra couldn't make it so they had Bobby Darin fill in for him. My ears perked up? Bobby Darin? You saw Bobby Darin????? My  dad said he was terrific. Even my mom liked him. I felt so proud. Bobby was from my generation and they liked him!!!! 

Esteemed Contributor

@Judaline & @LoriLori 

I like Frankie Avalon (I had the 45 record of Venus), but loved Bobby Darin too.  Did you see the movie Come September with Rock Hudson, Bobby Darin and Sandra Dee?  It is a cute romantic comedy from  the 1960's and it is where Bobby met Sandra.   I read Sandra's biography , it was very good and a large part of it was about her life with Bobby.  I definitely recommend it.

@Judaline - How is your eye today - did it start to clear up? The same thing happened to my aunt many  years ago.  She sneezed very hard and burst a blood vessel in her eye.  It took a few days for the blood to disappear.

Honored Contributor

@twinsister my eye is sooo much better, thanks. They said it could take all the way up to 2 weeks to clear so I'm grateful. They also said a cough could do it. Great.  

I can't remember if I saw Come September but I think I must have. The book says that in A Summer Place, Troy Donohue said he was surprised at how well  ''Sandy'' could kiss. Maybe that was because he was gay, ROFL.

I saw Beyond the Sea with Kevin Spacey playing Bobby. Bad casting, but I heard he did much of his own singing which was pretty darn good. I goofed. Spacey did his own casting I guess since he was the producer! 

Honored Contributor

@Judaline, glad your eye is better!

@twinsister, I love that song "Venus"!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Judaline - Troy Donahue married Suzanne Pleshette, but maybe that is why their marriage only lasted 9 months.  I thought he married again, and I had never heard that  about him.   I did read that comment about Sandra and her kissing, but the real reason was sad and terrible for her.  Don't want to say anythng else in case you read her book.

I saw Beyond the Sea also and thought he was too old for the part, but like you said, he was the producer.  It is a shame Bobby D died so young.

Glad your eye is much better!

Honored Contributor

@twinsister  I was trying to find something on google. All I dug up was that rumors of his being gay were mostly centered around people mixing him up with another blonde, blue eyed actor, Tab Hunter who definitely was gay. No secret, there. But Troy D. had several children I think, and married quite a few times. So apparently he was straight.  He became an alcoholic and later a drug addict. How sad. I should have made sure before I mentioned it, but I've thought it since back in the day-sorry.

Honored Contributor

@LoriLoriI love Venus, too. It's beautiful and cool all at the same time. I think it's great he's still married to his H.S. sweetheart. They have like nine kids or something, whoa.