Valued Contributor

Re: A Little Reminiscing--Did You Watch American Bandstand?

Loved Shindig!

Esteemed Contributor

I watched American Bandstand, (but never knew the couple's names), plus Shindig and Hullabaloo. Also loved watching Where the Action Is every afternoon.

Regular Contributor

Those were the good ol' days. A lot of us learned the latest dances from watching Bandstand. Also remember Bob and Justine.

Honored Contributor

I think the girl's name of the couple I liked was Carmen-don't remember the guy.

I loved Shindig and Hullabaloo! I wanted some go-go boots and to be like those girls.

I think Clark's question after listening to tunes is my favorite: " It's got a good beat, but can ya dance to it?'' And then they'd discuss this-about four of the kids.

Super Contributor

Oh it was a BIG DEAL here in the Philly 'burbs. The "regulars" were celebrities.

I went to a private girls' school and we were forbidden to attend "Bandstand" in school uniform. A group of classmates got around the problem by changing clothes before dancing on camera. They actually got autographs. You would've thought they met the Queen.

The Bandstand kids were the style-setters. Gumdrops (suede shoes), 6 button bennies (coats), page boy fluff and flip (hairstyles). Danced the cha-cha, stroll, twist, pony and the Bristol Stomp.

Jerry Blavat appeared on QVC selling music compilations. He hosts dances where many of the Bandstand regulars still dance like it was 1960.

Honored Contributor

Wismiss......I was also one who tuned into American Bandstand regularly. I think Justine and Bob were the best looking couple. Two others that I liked watching..Bob (Bill?) Cook..he was tall.....smooth dancer with Pat somebody...she had short dark hair. Memories, memories!
Respected Contributor

I remember when they showed it on saturdays then soul train was on after it.

Super Contributor

Not only did I watch it, but my parents did also. I remember coming home from school and they would be drinking coffee and watching it. I don't remember the names of the kids, but there was one girl they seemed to feature, and I wanted to be able to dance like her. (Never happened! )
Trusted Contributor

I watched some excerpts from American Bandstand yesterday and it was so funny----girls dancing together. I think there was an Arlene????? that was very popular. Yup, I just looked it up---it was Arlene Sullivan and Kenny Rossi. Anglophilly, I can't imagine living in/near Philly at that time. That almost had to be the ultimate at that time.

Remember----Rate a Record? "It's got a good beat and you can dance to it."

There were a lot of people/groups who turned out to be significant in the history of American music and when you see them---wearing suits and ties. You just never thought much about it.

Oh, yes, the memories. The New Year made me think of D ick Clark, an icon that will never be forgotten by me. Hopefully, my mind will be sharp enough that I will always have memories like this.

“I can do things you cannot, you can do things I cannot; together we can do great things.” St.Teresa of Calcutta
Contributor

I believe one of my favorite couples was Kenny and Arlene. She looked like Anette and he had dark curly hair. And, I remember Justine and Bob, both blondes. Thanks for the good memories. a