Honored Contributor

I found myself watching "How to Get Away With Murder" and realized these people are all pretty much cruel, or scheming, or otherwise distasteful.  I found it interesting that I felt this way after enjoying the show previously.

Anyway, I just needed to leave them all behind, at least for a while, so switched over to a PBS station that was showing something I had not heard of called "A Few Good Pie Places."

How refreshing and actually really interesting.  The show featured pie-makers around the country many of whom were very "countrified" and selling pies out of their homes.  Another was in Seattle and offered somewhat more modern pies (or so it seemed).

Every baker loved what they were doing, and so did their customers.  I enjoyed the show a lot more than I expected to.  Has anyone discovered the "Pie" show?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: A Few Good Pie Places (PBS)

I haven't heard of that show but will look for it on our PBS channels; we're lucky enough to have 2.  I tried watching the very first episode of that how to get away with murder show when it started last year & couldn't make it through the episode.  I think my tastes in tv viewing have changed a lot over the years.  Making pies sounds much better than murder right now, especially in light of yet another school shooting yesterday.  Maybe we don't need to watch so much fictionalized violence on tv.

Esteemed Contributor

OMG, I saw that program and it was wonderful.  Wished I could have reached into the TV for a slice of any of those pies. I loved those country road pie ladies. I'd be in big trouble if I had anything like that where I live.

Honored Contributor

I saw the pie show a couple of weeks ago and loved it. It got me interested in using lard for my pie crusts again. I'd gone away from lard for the last twenty or so years, but seeing so many of them using lard got me looking for it again. I finally found some lard and my next pie will use a lard/butter crust again. I'll probably be making blueberry pies next weekend.

I bought into the old health concerns about lard back then and the quality was hit or miss, so despite loving a lard crust I switched to shortening. Now the experts say lard is better than shortening, so back to lard I go.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and you can take bets on whether I come home with any pie!  The hand-held pies count, too!  (I typically go to Whole Foods and they have their own hand-held individual pies filled with either cherry, apple, or marionberry.  Not fried - like on the PBS show -- just baked.  My favorite is marionberry.)

Respected Contributor

If you haven't seen it already, I think you might enjoy the movie "Waitress".

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tucsongal wrote:

If you haven't seen it already, I think you might enjoy the movie "Waitress".

Thank you, @tucsongal!

I think I have seen it, but it was quite some time ago.  Now, in light of my new "focus" on pies, I'm putting it on my Netflix queue.

p.s.  @tucsongal

I knew I liked it.  I just checked my Netflix account and I'd given the movie five stars.  It'll be coming to my house again soon for a repeat showing.  Thanks again.

Honored Contributor

"Pushing Daisies" was a pretty good series that took place in a pie shop. If you haven't seen it you might want to add it to your queue.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

"Pushing Daisies" was a pretty good series that took place in a pie shop. If you haven't seen it you might want to add it to your queue.

I still mourn for my beloved Pushing Daisies. I'll never get over the fact that they canceled it so soon. I loved the juxtaposition of murder with bright colors, fantastic sets and costumes, and that wonderful narrator.

Honored Contributor

I saw A Few Good Pie Places back in August and loved everything about it. Such a charming and interesting show! All of the pies looked and sounded delicious and I was smitten by honor system pie shed in Vermont. I really need to get myself to Seattle and try that Blue Hawaiian Pie with blueberry, pineapple, and toasted coconut.