Esteemed Contributor

Re: 7 minutes of TV/5 minutes of commercials?

That's exactly what I do, record everything I want to see, FF commercials and delete after I watch it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, but we pay extra to DVR AND CD.  My friends that don,t have DVR and use on demand,  can,t FF, But they pay less.  I noticed the other night, I could FF watching a show I forgot to tape, But not when the commercial came on.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Zhills wrote:

And some folks WONDER why today's youngsters, including some boomers, have a short attention span!  

Media has taught them to be that way!

@Zhills

I thought it was just me that got so annoyed by commercials! I often miss half of what I'm looking at because I change the channel when the commercials come on. Then sometimes forget what I was watching in the first place...lol!

I totally agree about the attention span of youngsters being affected. They are so accustomed to the fast pace of the media/technology that no teacher can compete with it while presenting a lesson. Hence, all these labels, like ADD and ADHD and another reason why students have a hard time sitting and listening quietly for any length of time. Parents need to spend some time having students do this. Read a book or just talk. Not always technology. Even in the car. We used to do things like count license plates from other states- they watch something or other. I used to sometimes have my students watch something on tv, keep notes about how many commercials and how long they were. Sometimes, there were up to 18 commercials! That's a lot of information in a short time. Teachers need to be animated nowadays to teach something!

I AGREE THE MEDIA IS TEACHING THEM TO BE THAT WAY!!!

*Another reason why I retired from teaching!

"Kindness is like snow ~It beautifies everything it covers"
-Kahlil Gibran
Regular Contributor

I do not watch unrecorded TV shows or TV shows with canned laughter.

Honored Contributor

I watch a LOT of shows over so many different channels and none of them have that show to commercial ratio.   I must be missing all the stuff with almost as much ad time as show time.  

For the most part, I notice that commercial segments, on the shows i watch, are 3.5 to 4 minutes in length.  But there is several times that of show time.

On Lifetime it seems like the commercial segments are about 4.5 minutes, but even there the time in the show is several times that.

My newest Tivo has a 'skip' button, which I love.  The shows that have skip you just hit that button and it goes through the entire ad segment in a fraction of a second.    Wish all shows/channels had skip!  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@chickenbutt:

If you don't mind my asking, on a scale of 1 to 10 just how difficult is Tivo to get set up & operational? My set up would be OTA (over the air without roof antenna).

dee

Honored Contributor

The ratio of actual programming to commercials has gotten ridiculous... The DVR and FF buttons are your friends, though I'm sure that's not what advertisers had in mind... Of course, if the networks didn't inundate us with too darned many commercials, maybe we'd be more willing to sit through some of them. I wonder if anyone's thought about the fact that in this day of not having to watch 'live' they're shooting themselves in the foot by overwhelming the audience with ads... They pay an awful lot for them. One would assume they'd prefer that viewers actually watch them...

'Star' salaries and production costs are certainly part of the reason, just as is the profit motive... When it starts to backfire is when we might see them mitigate the volume of them...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

And special events are the worst... I turned on the Superbown post game and I think I honestly sat through ten minutes of commercials before they returned to programming... It's ludicrous and, more to the point, I suspect often counterproductve, as some people simply tune it out or turn it off... I know I did...

Remember when they were first marketing cable and one of the draws was that it would be commercial-free?  What happened? The only thing commercial free on cable is premium cable... you know, for which you pay extra...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@BadWolf Yes!  I remember when cable first came about their big draw was that there were no commercials.  Can you imagine?

I even remember when (not that many years ago) there weren't any commercials at the movie theatre.  We used to be free of them.  Now after paying stupid prices to get in we have to sit through stupid commercials there too!

That's OK, myself and many of us more and more no longer watch many shows during the time they're on.  I even updated my Cable so I can DVR more than 3 shows at a time.

I just DVR the shows then I can skip over all of the commercials.  Should I be interested in a particular product, then I would CHOOSE to watch the commercial.  However, I can't remember when that happened.  If anything, the irritating commercials make me so angry I don't want to buy the product.

I don't even do ON DEMAND because it won't let you fast forward over the commercials.

Valued Contributor

The morning 'news' shows IMO are the worst.  And their cooking segments are a joke.  The chefs/cooks are rushed through so fast it's not even worth my while watching.  

Helen852