Honored Contributor

Re: 6:00 p.m. Elizabeth Taylor Alert TCM

Yes, Trinity11, she was almost luminescent in that, wasn't she?  She and Cary Grant turned in a pair of witty performances, and she kept you guessing.  But later she often seemed to me to be miscast, like her part in "Exodus".  Too earth-bound or something, but that was probably in the writing...

Tique, I had forgotten that until the opening credits, and "The Shadow of Your Smile" swells up-- great song, I like it too.  Very poignant.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

This is one of my favorite movies, although I find it extremely sad and heartbreaking.  Listening to the Shadow of Your Smile makes me cry!

I've seen it many times, but still enjoy it.  Sorry I missed it this time.

She is a force of nature in almost every movie she appears in.

Adore Giant!  Cleopatra is such a guilty pleasure.  And I loved Butterfield 8 so much, I bought the CD. 

I never get tired of watching ET!

Honored Contributor

I love your enthusiasm, Witchy Woman.  You have hit on exactly the right phrase for her, "force of nature"!  I hadn't thought of that, and it's so true.

Do you think the part of the free-spirit artist she played in "The Sandpiper" was quite similar to her personality in real life-- mercurial, somewhat unconventional, ruled by emotion...

What do you think of "The V.I.P.'s?  It's my guilty pleasure.  The chemistry between Elizabeth and Burton that Trinity11 picked up on in "The Sandpiper",  is there in spades also. Of course the film is a confection, but the vibes between the troubled husband and wife they play come right through the screen.  Love the scene between them when he gives her the bracelet (sapphire?) and also when she gets cut in the hotel.  They dressed Elizabeth beautifully in that film also, as the wife of wealthy tycoon Burton.

Oh, I could go on and on, ha. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Oznell@Witchy Woman@Tique@Trinity11@Catiele

I missed the showing but I do own the movie. 

I remember the controversy the movie stirred up.  A young woman having a child out of wedlock, no religion, no formal education for her sone.  She spoke the word 'abortion' in the film. She has an affair with a married minister.  She hangs around a questionable crowd and was a mistress of sort in her past to a man who was married.  Back when this was released it was shocking to traditional America. 

Richard Burton played the minister who had a sheltered life, married and he practiced beliefs that eventually didn't serve him and his wants and desires.  He falls from grace for a woman he has been taught is living life wrongly.  He leaves his wife (divorce) and his church. 

For the times, this was very controversial.  Elizabeth and Richard enjoyed playing parts that dealt with people who were real in society - like in Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf, Hammersmith Is Out, Boom, Divorce His, Divorce Hers, The VIP's.  Reality of the happily ever after was shown to be much different than fairy tales. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Honored Contributor

"Giant" just started on TCM.  One of my favorites, Mr. Hudson and Ms. Taylor were sooo attractive!

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

"Giant" just started on TCM.  One of my favorites, Mr. Hudson and Ms. Taylor were sooo attractive!

I loved that film. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Oznell

Ahhhhh, the VIPs!   Fabulous.  Love how slowly the story plays out.  Lots of time to ponder the dialogue and events in the movie.  Unlike today's movies, no explosions, violence, sex or bad language -- just the story with a wonderful tension in events and relationships.

ET is beyond stunning, and, yes, when she is on screen with Burton, there is an electricity between them.  I know it was a troubled relationship, but yet, I envy them (just a little) to love with such passion! 

I think every role she played with him had an element of their real life.  And, yes, I imagined her to be just like the character in Sandpiper.  She was also Maggie the Cat and all the other women she played -- or so she convinced me.

Yea, yea, I know he dumped his wife, and she was no angel, but....just the same, their relationship is very intriguing.  Meant to be?  Who knows, but the stuff of Hollywood fantasies.  Liz was like catnip for almost any man that got near her!

Louis Jordan was no slouch, but I got why she left him!  I always felt he would find someone else, but Liz would never find another Richard -- such a troubled soulCat LOL 

The back story with Rod Taylor was rich, and the old lady, Margaret Rutherford, were delicious.

Can you tell I like this movie? Woman LOL

For me, movies in this style and of the day are the movies I love to watch.  They tell a story, and there is strength and quality in most characters. 

Sometimes the story is a bit cheesy, but I don't care!

Honored Contributor

Good discussion.  Love Roses, it's been ages since I saw them in Edward Albee's "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?"  They were certainly showing the raw underside of a troubled marriage there.  Quite daring of Taylor to go against her "dewy" glamour image by playing Martha.  Thanks for reminding me of those other films!

Super Contributor

I may be alone here in my opinion, but I've never felt Elizabeth Taylor was that great an actress! Beautiful, yes, maybe one of the most beautiful ever, but her acting chops left me unmoved. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trinity11

Thank you for telling us!

I just turned it on.  Never get tired of watching it!

"I still have a mind of my own," says Liz.

Did she ever!