Honored Contributor

2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

I don't know if this was posted but this will be on this Saturday, I think 8:00 on HBO. They are inducting Cheap Trick, Chicago (my favorite), Deep Purple, Steve Miller, N.W.A., and songwriter-producer Bert Berns. It was recorded in Brooklyn at the Barclays Center on April 8, 2016. 

Honored Contributor

Re: 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

I heard on the radio that there will be tributes to Glen Frey, David Bowie, and Prince (which is older footage that the show just added). This should be a great show. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks for that additional information, Jordan!  

I wasn't really super keen on it, initially, but I decided now to schedule the show.   Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

In case anyone is interested this show is coming on at 8:00. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I watched this last (maybe the only one who did as represented in the traffic of this thread) and enjoyed it. At the end they added footage of Prince playing While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I didn't realize what a great guitarist he was, right up there with Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix. It's funny you don't really appreciate someone until they're gone. I forgot to add it was too bad Peter Cetera didn't show up for the induction. He had a falling out with the group (Chicago)  it must have been a bad breakup. Too bad both sides couldn't come to an agreement even for one night. 

Honored Contributor

Jordan!  You said just what I was thinking when, very recently actually, I first heard Prince play to 'While My Guitar Gently Weeps'.

Jimi Hendrix has always been a huge favorite of mine and especially for his brilliant guitar playing.  When I watched that recording of Prince (it's also on YouTube, btw) I saw Jimi Hendrix and wish I had known that Prince was so brilliant on the guitar.

Prince also plays all the other instruments.  I always liked his music but am rather ashamed to admit that I never realized how truly brilliant he was.  

I haven't seen 'Purple Rain' in so long I have absolutely no recollection of it.  I made a Tivo search and set it up that if it shows up anywhere it will be recorded.

Valued Contributor

I don't have HBO so I didn't see the R&R HOF inductions.  Would loved to have been able to watch.

chickenbutt.....I think VH1 ran Purple Rain for 3 or 4 days after Prince died.  I didn't watch it but it seemed as though every time I flipped through the channels it was on.

Esteemed Contributor

I haven't watched the whole show yet, but caught bits and pieces here and there.  If anyone can answer this question, I'd really appreciate it.  At the end of the show (before the Prince piece), a ton of musicians are on stage singing together (although for the life of me I can't remember what they were singing).    Who was the blonde woman (not Sheryl Crow) with the long black fringed vest?  She looked familiar and it's bugging me that I can't place her.  Anyone know?

Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I haven't watched the whole show yet, but caught bits and pieces here and there.  If anyone can answer this question, I'd really appreciate it.  At the end of the show (before the Prince piece), a ton of musicians are on stage singing together (although for the life of me I can't remember what they were singing).    Who was the blonde woman (not Sheryl Crow) with the long black fringed vest?  She looked familiar and it's bugging me that I can't place her.  Anyone know?

Grace Potter sang New Kid In Town (Glenn Frey Tribute) with Sheryl Crowe. Is that who you're talking about?

Esteemed Contributor

Thanks for your reply @Jordan2.  No, I didn't see that performance so that's not it.