Respected Contributor

Re: 2/18/17: My first time using "On Demand."

We used on Demand about two weeks ago. It went well. We watched Hell or High Water. We saw it twice. Good movie.

Respected Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

@Big Sister  Good for you.  I'm technically challenged like crazy.  But I'm not afraid to try things and the whole world has opened up!  Ha!  I turned 70 last year and am amazed at all of the people who tell me they won't try some of the new gadgets out there.

I realize ON DEMAND isn't a big deal to some, but I'm like you and sometimes find it difficult to figure things out...so once again....I'll say it...and really mean it...GOOD FOR YOU!

@Annabellethecat66, thank you so much for your kind words.  You helped make my day a really good day.

Respected Contributor

I always use On Demand for shows that I have not DVR'd and have missed.  I subscribe to HBO, Showtime, Cinemax and Starz so I rarely rent movies to watch.  I have rented movies on occasion if I cannot rent something at Redbox.

Respected Contributor

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

@Big Sister, sorry you didn't enjoy your first movie experience with On Demand. I'm betting you already know this, but since you're new to it, it might be worth mentioning. You can always watch a preview, like a trailer, of any movie you're thinking about renting. Just be careful about which choice you click! 

I don't rent many movies, but when I do, I watch the trailer and then Google it to see how others reviewed it. I've actually changed my mind about a few I was considering by doing that.

Someone mentioned watching a movie on Netflix so I checked it out. It's cheaper than On Demand but Netflix actually sends DVDs in the mail. So it's either pay a little more or deal with the DVDs coming and going. What's that saying...six of one, half a dozen of the other?

Anyway, I hope you like your next movie better!

@SusieQ_2  Hi, Susie, I have been getting two DVDs via Netflix each month.  (You can choose how many movies you get each month.)  I pay about $5.00 a month and love the company;  it is very well organized and run.   I don't plan on canceling my membership.

Also, I had not known that I could see a preview of a movie at On Demand.  Thanks for letting me know that.

Honored Contributor

@Big Sister, @SusieQ_2, a few times I didn't like the movie so much I quit at fifteen or twenty minutes.  Then I called Comcast and they took it off the bill.  Haven't done it lately but worth a try.

They have a huge selection of free movies.  Sometimes if you search by title you can find one that's not even listed.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I will never understand how anyone can enjoy watching a movie or anything else  on their IPad or computer.

Esteemed Contributor

@MalteseMomma wrote:

I will never understand how anyone can enjoy watching a movie or anything else  on their IPad or computer.

I totally understand how you feel. I used to feel the same about Netflix. My daughter would tell me she was watching a Nexflix show on her iPad and I felt so sorry for her. No cable, no big screen? Poor baby! Then I decided to try it, and she was right. Netflix is great! My only problem is finding time for everything I want to watch.

Now, back to your point. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm looking to buy a streaming device, but for now I can only watch on my computer or, believe it or not, my smartphone, lol. 

And actually, I like it. The picture is incredibly crisp and clear. Sometimes, late at night if I can't sleep, I prop up my phone up next to me in bed and watch until I fall asleep. It's so much nicer than having that big, bright TV screen that lights up the room. If I hadn't tried it myself, I wouldn't have believed it.

I'm still going to get something, probably the Amazon TV Stick (it looks easy), for those times I want to watch on a big screen, but I doubt I'll give up those late nights in bed with my cell phone. I might even give it a name. It should be a him...maybe something exotic like Alejandro or Rafaele. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

The problem i have with ON DEMAND is you can't fast forward over the commercials.

I love the new upgrade I got from Comcast.  It has the wand I can talk into.  For someone like me (who forgets numbers) it's great because I can say, "Take me to HBO" and it does!  Ha!

Sometimes I DVR 3 and 4 shows at a time.  It isn't cheap but for a TV nut like myself, it's worth it.

I often hear my late husband (when I told him, 'People ask me how you learned to do so many things'.  He said to me, "Tell them I'm not afraid to try new things".  That's what I've always done, especially since he died.

Electronics are made to be able to withstand some amazing abuse (probably due to us Baby Boomers)  Ha!

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66, that is one thing about On Demand that drives me crazy! Some things can be fast forwarded through, but many can't.

Here's something else that happens to me from time to time--not every time, but often enough. I start to watch something and halfway through I need to stop. Ideally, I should be able to return to "My Rentals" with 24 hours and start back up where I left off. Sometimes though, if I stop, the darn thing goes back to the beginning of the show and, you got it...no fast forward. I either have to let run to where I was before while doing something else, watch it again, or just forget it. Soooo frustrating! Smiley Mad

Esteemed Contributor

@LoriLori wrote:

@Big Sister, @SusieQ_2, a few times I didn't like the movie so much I quit at fifteen or twenty minutes.  Then I called Comcast and they took it off the bill.  Haven't done it lately but worth a try.

They have a huge selection of free movies.  Sometimes if you search by title you can find one that's not even listed.

Good tips @LoriLori, thanks! Smiley Happy