Super Contributor

Re: do people like the hearts? or would you prefer "like" or "thumbs up" or som

I don't like the hearts and won't use them.  Makes it seem like some kind of a popularity contest. If I like someone's post, I will quote it and make a comment just like in the old forum.  

Respected Contributor

I don't care about hearts or thumbs up or down.  I would ralther have all the posts to the thread follow one another without having to take the extra step to click next message to read them.  WOuld rather just see them all together and just page down as I go, unless there is way to have it displayed that way and it is something I haven't figured out yet.

Esteemed Contributor

I think a thumbs up icon would be better for showing agreement with a post, but people are used to seeing hearts online for like, so the Q techies probably felt that more would relate to that symbol. 

Honored Contributor

Now that they've dispensed with the public tote board/leaderboard nonsense, I like using the hearts.  Another icon would be fine, and the heart seems to be a concern for some posters.  However, I suspect Facebook has some sort of trademarks on some of the "thumbs up" icons or "like" features (I could be wrong -- it happens daily!Robot LOL) and that might be the reason we don't see those used on other major forums.

I like the fact that we can click the icon to let a poster know we agreed with or appreciated their post without adding quotes or additional posts to a thread.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

However, I suspect Facebook has some sort of trademarks on some of the "thumbs up" icons or "like" features (I could be wrong -- it happens daily!Robot LOL) and that might be the reason we don't see those used on other major forums.

According to the Trademark Office's records, Facebook doesn't own a trademark registration for a "thumbs-up" design on its own. ( It does own a design registration for a sideways-facing pointer finger on a hand.)  Facebook  only owns registrations for the thumbs-up design plus the LIKE word as one complete trademark.

Interesting enough, Google (owner of YouTube) also owns a LIKE (word only) registration for services that are similar to Facebooks' description for its LIKE plus thumbs-up Design.

For a trademark to be granted registration, it cannot infringe on some other owner's exact mark for similar goods or services.

I

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Esteemed Contributor

As the owner of two wonderful little poodles a number of years ago, "dancing poodles" would be fine with me!  Or "dancing kitties"! Cat Very Happy

That said, since the Q decided to use hearts, I will use them. I really don't look at them as being related to "love" in the context of this forum -- but then, after the last few days here, my head may not be scr-wed on straight either! 

I guess I just like the ability to let people know that I agree with or like their posts without having to "quote" or type out a reply.  I think it makes the threads less cluttered.

Just call me crazy! Smiley Wink