Honored Contributor

Re: Why Facebook????

[ Edited ]

@Patches2279  I understand what your saying patches3 it seems that there must be some sort of contest or required quota on how many Facebook friends the hosts must have because they mention it so much and that goes for the vendors too......And instead of important product information the hosts spend time on lame Facebook Questions and the responses from reviewers....."important" topics like: "What is your favorite ice cream?" or "Do you prefer a real or artificial Christmas tree? or "What is your favorite way to relax"....  SHEESH!!! 

I have Facebook but only use it to keep in touch with a few relatives who live out of state and even then I am seldom on it......just post a photo or two and keep in touch with them..... I don't do a chronological record of my every day activities nor post photos of my meals, or check it continuously to see how many LIKES I received on a reply or a photo---I mean there is a real OBSESSION problem with this media form IMHO........

And for those that DO enjoy Facebook, be careful what you put out there....employers or potential employers go on social media to check out what your doing, and a person got fired from the company I work for because of something she said on her Facebook Page.......

@Patches2279If you really want to get QVC's  attention on a topic my recommendation is to go the old fashioned route and send a letter by snail mail......I've done this in the past and have received a phone call from QVC Corporate.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

Excellent post, DooB.

There seems to be a recurrent demonizing of FB on QVC forums by those who haven't used it, who have tried it but were never able to set it up properly and those who seem to think that *everyone* talks about the weather all day and it's boring by design. It is what you make it. It's not for everyone. It takes some knowledge and effort. But it's not The Evil Empire. 

ETA this is a general comment about all FB threads, not picking on/out any posters in this thread.

@Moonchilde

@dooBdoo

there are threads that pop up every few weeks about the "evils of facebook," but how wonderful we all have a choice to use it or not! i am a big facebook user.....use it for work, personal, and information. it is such a wonderful way to keep in touch with family members all over the world. i got facebook initially because i wanted to monitor my children and their friends. it was a MUST.  now it has become an important tool for me.....and a venue for entertainment and information. dont knock it until you have tried it......and if you HAVE tried it and didnt care for it then it is easy to remove it from your routine.

i can tell you from a business perspective it is invaluable.....an easy way for your customers to find you, ask questions, provide coupons and specials, and monitor what your competitors are doing. the free advertising alone makes it worth it.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

Excellent post, DooB.

There seems to be a recurrent demonizing of FB on QVC forums by those who haven't used it, who have tried it but were never able to set it up properly and those who seem to think that *everyone* talks about the weather all day and it's boring by design. It is what you make it. It's not for everyone. It takes some knowledge and effort. But it's not The Evil Empire. 

ETA this is a general comment about all FB threads, not picking on/out any posters in this thread.

@Moonchilde

@dooBdoo

there are threads that pop up every few weeks about the "evils of facebook," but how wonderful we all have a choice to use it or not! i am a big facebook user.....use it for work, personal, and information. it is such a wonderful way to keep in touch with family members all over the world. i got facebook initially because i wanted to monitor my children and their friends. it was a MUST.  now it has become an important tool for me.....and a venue for entertainment and information. dont knock it until you have tried it......and if you HAVE tried it and didnt care for it then it is easy to remove it from your routine.

i can tell you from a business perspective it is invaluable.....an easy way for your customers to find you, ask questions, provide coupons and specials, and monitor what your competitors are doing. the free advertising alone makes it worth it.

@sunshine45, I've never used it for a business I own, but I sure use it to keep up with businesses I'm interested in. Also friends and family who live around the world, and interests of all kinds, hobbies, news, etc. It keeps me caught up with what's current in a variety of areas.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

What I am so sick of with the hosts & FB is their "question" for the day. WHO cares what your favorite cartoon as a kid was?..... What desserts are you making for the holidays?... Real tree/fake tree?.... I could care less about any of this. ANOTHER waste of air time for showing products & DETAILS!!!! I have hardly watched QVC since Thanksgiving.....THIS is why! 

To say I am OVER QVC is an understatement. It has become unbearable to watch anymore.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@dooBdoo wrote:

This is a general comment, not directed at anyone in particular.Smiley

The problem I see with these recurring threads about Facebook is the attempt to paint the website itself as some sort of evil entity.  Facebook seems to be the target (at least on these forums, for some reason), yet the actual issue is that the people using websites need to be aware and discerning overall.

It’s wise and thoughtful to point out the need to be cautious.   In truth, no one should feel “ultra secure” about anything they do on the net…  being cautious, wary, and alert all the time with anything we do is important and necessary.  This applies to social media sites, shopping sites, or anything else.  Accounts are hacked every day on a myriad of sites, for a myriad of reasons, and Facebook is no exception.

But honestly there’s nothing to be smug about whether we’ve chosen to use or opted not to use Facebook, or Twitter, or Instagram, or even this QVC Community.

I don’t say much about this, but I served for years as IT Security Officer at several major hospitals and I also provided technical/management/security support to 22 medical centers when I worked at a regional support office.   With the knowledge and experience I feel lucky to have gained...  I choose to use Facebook. 

I think all of my peers do to, too (I’m trying to think of any who don’t…  haven’t come up with any who are missing, and frequently we use FB groups to share information).  So, even though none of us claim to be perfect we do have a pretty solid background in technology and security issues. 

Using a website is a choice, an option, and comes with responsibilities.  It requires that we keep up with software updates, read about changes and threats, and do our best to use it wisely.

The outcome is a result of what we input.  (Reminds me of the old adage we learned in Programming 101, "GIGO" or "garbage in garbage out."Smiley)  It’s too easy, and seems to be a trend, to blame someone else and forget to take responsibility for our part.  To my way of thinking — and I know this is just my opinion — that needs to be the way all of us approach everything we do on the internet.  Not just Facebook.

Just my 2 cents, I know not everyone agrees.Smiley

Some of us do not not think FB/etc. is a good idea (for whatever reason)                          If others want to use it, I have no problem with it.  

Valued Contributor

The few times I have been on Facebook, was to look at  Valerie Parr Hill's items.  She had the pictures in her album.  It gave me an idea of which items to purchase. Valerie also answered our questions promptly.

Honored Contributor

@Bhvbum wrote:

I am the family geek. I ONLY have a Facebook page to see family postings. I never post and am happy I have that privacy. It is also a BIG time stealer.  I would rather spend my time doing fun things than reading about other people's cat who just .....whatever. 

OMG! finally a kindred spirit about the cat pictures. All the Q is now is animal pictures. Pathetic.

Honored Contributor

@SharkE wrote:

@Bhvbum wrote:

I am the family geek. I ONLY have a Facebook page to see family postings. I never post and am happy I have that privacy. It is also a BIG time stealer.  I would rather spend my time doing fun things than reading about other people's cat who just .....whatever. 

OMG! finally a kindred spirit about the cat pictures. All the Q is now is animal pictures. Pathetic.

Nah. What's pathetic is people snarking about people who love animals.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Pet Lovers is available not all 23 boards.

http://community.qvc.com/t5/Pet-Lovers/bd-p/Petlovers

Honored Contributor

I must be the odd one.  I can't think of any reason that I'd ever want to contact a host.