Trusted Contributor

Uhmm, please tell hosts that...

Perhaps the hosts are unaware that their perceived intelligence and their credibility decrease exponentially with every sentence they are unable to complete without "uhmm".  Some seem to believe that "uhmm" makes them sound hip, current, young, and it does.  Filling every pause with "uhmm", creating pauses just so they can say "Uhmm", (so cute don't you know) , makes them sound infantile.   

The viewer may just have an "Uhmm" tolerance/ threshold.  After "Uhmm"  comprises a certain percentage of spoken words, I don't care what you're selling, how much I might like to hear about, perhaps purchase said item- click. Any respect that person might have earned through previous, more competent performances, erodes away! The concensus of posters is that when your frustration/annoyance level exceeds 'tolerable' , to turn the channel/shop elsewhere/ get a life------   OK

Honored Contributor

Re: Uhmm, please tell hosts that...

You are not supposed to mind that these high paid hosts are not the best at their job. It's hard to believe that the hosts are college graduates.

Honored Contributor

Don't you think some hosts hem and haw because they're simultaneously listening to the producer talking into their ear?

Respected Contributor

"The concensus of posters is that when your frustration/annoyance level exceeds 'tolerable' , to turn the channel/shop elsewhere/ get a life------   OK"

I certainly am not of the "concensus" you speak of.  I am not going to shop another channel for that reason.  Speak for yourself and not the so-called concensus.

Contributor

[ Edited ]

They are called "Filler Words" (for example, "you know, you know what I mean, like literally, um, you know, like OK, so" and many, many more).  One thing is for sure – we’re most likely to engage in waterfall speech, rambling on and on, when we lack a plan for organizing our ideas. Perhaps the Host can use the words "Let's move on to" or "Let's talk about....." which are transitional phrases. Practicing these go-to transitions will begin to feel natural. However, if anyone wants to improve his or her speaking in public and eradicating filler words from one's vocabulary consider joining "Toastmasters International." Toastmasters also counts the number of "filler words" and will let you know which filler words you used and how many times you stated those filler words. The Host is a sales person who sells products for a living. I have heard worse and do not mind the occasional "Uummm" word. I am not going to get my panties in a bunch just because a Host is using a "filler" word or two. I have more important things to worry about in my life! I am not part of the so-called "consensus," and do not mind how a Hosts speaks (talks) as long as I obtain the necessary details with respect to the product that he or she is selling. I have never changed the QVC channel because a host is saying "Uummmm" or "You know what I mean."

Respected Contributor

I believe if the host's that use ummm and like to the extreme would watch one of their shows from start to finish they would stop.Woman HappyHeart

Don't worry, be Happy!
Honored Contributor

@makena wrote:

"The concensus of posters is that when your frustration/annoyance level exceeds 'tolerable' , to turn the channel/shop elsewhere/ get a life------   OK"

I certainly am not of the "concensus" you speak of.  I am not going to shop another channel for that reason.  Speak for yourself and not the so-called concensus.

You beat me to it.

Speak for yourself, OP. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]

There are many "filler" words and "uummmm" and "like you know what I mean" and "you know" are the most commonly used filler words. I am not part of the consensus and I certainly do not mind if a Host uses a filler word. These Hosts are "Sales" professionals who spend hours talking and talking to sell a product (in the hopes of selling out the product). I don't allow nonsense like this to get in the way of my life. I don't allow it to ruin my day. I am not going to get my panties in a bunch just because a Host repeats "Uhmmm" over and over again. I have more important things to worrry about in my life, and "filler words" are not part of them. You know what I mean?!?!

Respected Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Don't you think some hosts hem and haw because they're simultaneously listening to the producer talking into their ear?

They do and can you imagine doing your job while your producer is constantly speaking to you?  That's why they switch up their sales pitches.  They know what words to use to sell the product.  

Esteemed Contributor

Judge Judy says "uhmmm is not a word"

DH always quotes Judge Judy..... but

His filler words are "by the way"

I think I'm a "uhmmm" person