Trusted Contributor

UPS SHOULD RING THE DOORBELL

When UPS delivers packages in my neighborhood (So. Ca.), they never ring the bell, they just leave the package at the front door in plain view and leave.  We have a lot of solicitors roaming our neighborhood who could easily walk off with a package that wasn't too big or heavy.  It used to be that UPS required a signature before they would leave a package (in the old days), so there was little chance of theft.  I've had several purchases that I never received for whatever reason and the company had to either re-ship or refund.  I wonder if it's up to the company shipping the items and UPS doesn't offer this service anymore. Anyone know?

Respected Contributor

Re: UPS SHOULD RING THE DOORBELL

UPS was ringing our bell, but when DH became ill I asked them to stop. When the bell rings the dog begins to bark, and anyone who was resting or asleep no longer is.  Our mailman now rings the bell when he leaves a package, but UPS still does't.  It doesn't matter to me either way.

Honored Contributor

My regular UPS guy (metro DC area) always rings the bell, but just barely.  However, whenever there is a sub, they don't necesarily ring the bell.  Similarly, with USPS and with Amazon delivery.  Sometimes they do.  Sometimes they don't.  I even have a note by my doorbell requesting that all deliverers ring the bell, but that has done no good.

Esteemed Contributor

My UPS man does not ring the bell...I am lucky if he leaves it at my place...i can't tell you how often my neighbors bring my packages to me...(they ring the bell..lol)

Respected Contributor

I understand your worry, but I was seriously considering posting just the opposite! My two dogs go crazy when our bell rings. It's hard for me to quickly answer the door since my foot injury. I used to "rush" to answer the door only to see him driving off! If he didn't ring, I'd know I had to answer bell when it does ring!

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Respected Contributor

I wish they would ring the doorbell, glad I have bushes in the front of the house so nobody can see any packages left in front. I am always using the tracking on my email so I know if it is delivered. Even the email will say out for delivery and I don't get the package til the next day.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@WORKING GAL, you may need a little 'name change'.

My Ship-To address now reads:

Jane Doe - Side Door

1234 Street Name

City, State  Zip

You could just as easily change your name to:

Jane Doe - Ring Doorbell!

1234 Street Name

City, State  Zip

Adding 'Side Door' to my ship-to name solved my problems regardless of whether it was the regular driver or a substitute, UPS, Fed Ex, even my letter carrier brought a small package to the side door and rang my bell instead of cramming it into the envelope drop-slot.

No guarantees, but adding Ring Doorbell! to your name might work for you. (It would NOT accept the addition as a separate line between my name and address.)

Honored Contributor

Shouldnt this message be directed to customer service at UPS?  There's not a darn thing we QVC customers or QVC can do about it.  Suggest you collar and talk to your UPS delivery person.  It seems to be at the discretion of the individual driver. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Go into ups.com and register.  There is a section there where you tell UPS where to deliver your packages.  You can also add email settings so you know when a package will be delivered -- date and a 4 hour time frame.  

Respected Contributor

@WORKING GAL wrote:

When UPS delivers packages in my neighborhood (So. Ca.), they never ring the bell, they just leave the package at the front door in plain view and leave.  We have a lot of solicitors roaming our neighborhood who could easily walk off with a package that wasn't too big or heavy.  It used to be that UPS required a signature before they would leave a package (in the old days), so there was little chance of theft.  I've had several purchases that I never received for whatever reason and the company had to either re-ship or refund.  I wonder if it's up to the company shipping the items and UPS doesn't offer this service anymore. Anyone know?

@WORKING GAL, requiring a signature has to do with the vendor, not UPS. UPS only asks for a signature if the vendor requires it. Certain packages I receive have to be signed for, usually the expensive or bigger ones.