Respected Contributor

Re: Q, please do away with the hearts!

I also use the heart as a sign that I agree with someone's post. Sometimes they post their thoughts so well that I have nothing more to add except to post "ITA". Now I can just click on the heart.
Honored Contributor

I originally thought they were childish like the OP but then  thinking back to the old forums where one person would quote a post and ITA it or put thumbs up or even type an agreement then many others would quote all them with and it did bog down the reading of posts on any topic.  This way anyone can see there are some who agree with a post.    It's not about ego or anything just a way to clean up the messy posting of quote and quoted posts. 

Esteemed Contributor

Going into this, I thought the hearts would be a great way to say, "I agree with you." A week later, I'm disgusted to see that some of those biased, in your face, "Let me see how many ways I can put you down" kind of people have earned the titles of "valued" and "trusted" posters.

For me, it's not the hearts that are a concern, it's those titles that come along with all the hearting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there with multiple nics hearting themselves!
Esteemed Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:
Going into this, I thought the hearts would be a great way to say, "I agree with you." A week later, I'm disgusted to see that some of those biased, in your face, "Let me see how many ways I can put you down" kind of people have earned the titles of "valued" and "trusted" posters.

For me, it's not the hearts that are a concern, it's those titles that come along with all the hearting. I wouldn't be surprised if there are people out there with multiple nics hearting themselves!

Yes, yes, this. I like them to use as a "like" or "ITA" but not as a ranking system for posters. I said it on another thread and I'll say it here, just because one agrees with a post, does not mean one holds the poster in high regard.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

I also use the hearts two fold: liking a post or as an acknowledgment of reading or seeing what someone posted.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Many people have come to the conclusion that the post count is a major contributor to the designations like "Super", "Valued", etc.  Then because post counts differ so much within a designation, it appears that how many times your posts have been "hearted" enters into it in some way, and most people seem to be using the hearts to say they agree with a post, they like it, and sometimes I use it as a "Thank you".  Someone else posted that it may also have to do with how helpful you've been to people (when you get a "heart") and if QVC moderators heart you for something you did.  I don't know -- we've asked repeatedly for some kind of explanation of the contributor designations, but none has been forthcoming.  A lot of us would just like to be contributors, we don't see the need for special designations, especially if no one even knows what they mean. 

There is one thread in Suggestion Box that seems to have gone totally overboard with the hearts, which I think is not the right way to use them, but I guess that's up to the individuals and Q moderators to determine if it's trying to "manipulate" anything as some apparently think posters do.

One thing I DO know, is that a poster cannot "heart" their own posts in order to manipulate anything.  The system will not allow you to do that.  I also thought the new forum had eliminated most possibilities of multiple nics, but I could be wrong.

So, I like the hearts for the purposes mentioned above, if they're used in the spirit they're intended.  The contributor designations.... ???????? 

Esteemed Contributor

@kittymomNC Posters can heart themselves if they have multiple nics. They can log in as one user and heart their other username.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kittymomNC wrote:

There is one thread in Suggestion Box that seems to have gone totally overboard with the hearts, which I think is not the right way to use them, but I guess that's up to the individuals and Q moderators to determine if it's trying to "manipulate" anything as some apparently think posters do.

You're refering to the Linea sub-forum post? I think even I'll give QVC more credit that to believe they returned that forum due to 1200 hearts being posted.

To me the entire "hearts" thing is more silly than anything. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardensla wrote:

I would prefer that they used that field for a "views" count instead of hearts, but I doubt we'll win this one.

@gardensla - Not sure if you know, but the number of views is listed on every post.  If you look below the poster's name, avatar, registered date, etc, you'll see the # of views listed for each post.  It's right below the "Report Inappropriate Content" text/link.  HTH 

EDITED TO ADD: Or maybe you are referring to the Topic list page, and would like the "heart column" to be replaced with a view count column?  Sorry if I misunderstood.  I thought you might be referring to the area where the hearts currently are in each individual post.  I would agree it would be nice if we could see at a glance the number of views for each thread on the Topic list page.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Esteemed Contributor

@I like celery wrote:

@gardensla wrote:

I would prefer that they used that field for a "views" count instead of hearts, but I doubt we'll win this one.

@gardensla - Not sure if you know, but the number of views is listed on every post.  If you look below the poster's name, avatar, registered date, etc, you'll see the # of views listed for each post.  It's right below the "Report Inappropriate Content" text/link.  HTH 

EDITED TO ADD: Or maybe you are referring to the main forum list page, and would like the "heart column" to be replaced with a view count column?  Sorry if I misunderstood.  I thought you might be referring to the area for hearts in each individual post.

Yes, I'm aweare that I can click into a post and see the number of views. Your correction was correct! I'd like to see the number of views on the main forum page. If a post has lots of views I'll often click in to take a look even if its not a category that would be of interest at first blush (such as kitchen for this non-cook!).  I've learned alot here at the Q this way; I guess "hearts" is supposed to preform the same function, but it really doesn't. At least not for me.

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat