Honored Contributor

Is it possible to have a temporary political forum for just this year until the election?  QVC could make it very controllable by simply stating that anyone who gets really nasty on the forum would automatically be banned from all QVC forums permanently . . . and follow through with that.  We could talk about the candidates but pledge not to attack each other personally.

I truly think we could have a civil debate with that caveat in place.  I would like QVC to give it some thought.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

That forum would tank by the 3rd or 4th post!

Respected Contributor

@HULAGIRL wrote:

That forum would tank by the 3rd or 4th post!

So optimistic.  LOL

Why not just go somewhere where they are allowed?    

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

What do you mean by "really nasty"?

I'm asking because I'd bet my last buck that your idea and my idea and
everyone else's ideas of "really nasty" are really, REALLY DIFFERENT.

New Contributor

We do not need political comments on QVC, there is enough of it in other areas of our lives.  QVC should remain a shopping area and FUN.  Why would it be necessary to add political comments?  I VOTE NO!!!

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

Name calling for starters IMO and I'm not including stuff like 'stupid'.

People can get pretty vile.  It would make posts here seem like Sunday school.

Some of the Cecil threads were nasty IMO

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Not at all a good idea, IMHO.  Surely there must be tons of websites, other than QVC, where political forums are allowed.  As it is, it's not uncommon for a "generic" thread to become political and, as a result, gets shut down.  A definite "no" vote as far as I'm concerned.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Political forum

[ Edited ]

Sadly, too many people become too angry when debating those who disagree with them...and I don't just mean the candidates running for president of the U.S.  It's sad that with the death of Justice Scalia, political commentators are noting how he and Justice GInsburg could not have disagreed more but were good friends nevertheless, as if that were a heavenly miracle. One of my dearest friends is the Justice Scalia to my Justice Ginsburg. We agree to disagree, without being disagreeable, and we show respect for each other. I think we've both learned and benefited from the experience. Congress could learn from such experiences but they won't listen to anyone else but themselves.

Our country is headed for big trouble, in my opinion, because of the low-level, high-volume bickering that goes on in politics these days. When there's a refusal to compromise, nothing gets done, nothing is accomplished. It seems that getting the last word in has become more important than the content of that word. We cannot go on this way. As far as this topic is concerned, it will probably wind up just as governmental accomplishment will...zapped to oblivion.

Honored Contributor

Well it's a darn shame that this is considered so impossible to do. 

I guess at age 78 I still have faith in human beings being civil to each other.  I watch CNN every day and the pundits discuss this race without insulting each other.  I guess I thought it was possible to do that here.

And anyone "not interested" would certainly not have to join in the conversation.

Anyway, dead in the water before it had a chance to float, I guess.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

Simple.  Personal attacks.  That's all.

Formerly Ford1224