Respected Contributor

Debic, me too!

Honored Contributor

Re: PLEASE get rid of the green giant check marks

[ Edited ]

@LoriLori wrote:

@chickenbutt you make great sense as usual.  Since I am the OP I tried to make your answer the "Best Answer" just FYI and it wouldn't let me.  So either I did it wrong or the OP does not actually select the best answer. 

@LoriLori, If I remember correctly the moderators said this feature is activated on some of the forums but not all of the forums.  That's probably the reason you can't use it here.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

In theory, this seems like a helpful feature.  But only if the question is the type which has only one right or best answer (asking for the item number of a specific product, or the title of a book, for example).  Otherwise, from reading numerous posts about this, often it seems to come across as being less than useful since most questions have more than one possibly correct/best answer.

There are times when I do wish the OP of a thread had the ability to lock it after the questions are answered -- that way we could stop the cycling through of the same answers being repeated and repeated and repeated.  After pages and pages of responses, sometimes (not always) a very long thread can run its course.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

@dooBdoo, thanks and I strongly agree with both of your posts.  Especially since the longer a thread gets the more the likelihood increases of people not reading the responses and posting the same thing ten other people have already posted.  I love the idea of an OP locking their thread!

Honored Contributor

I agree - that's a good idea.  It's kind of aggravating that there will always be a few who don't seem to realize that a thread is a conversation.    

They don't read what anybody else says because, I guess in their minds, the only thing that matters is what they have to say.   I cannot help wonder how it is to have a face to face conversation with some folks.  It's like the other person is talking and they are looking at their phone or making their shopping list.   Then they speak with no regard for the conversation or for what the other person has said.  hehe

Honored Contributor

chickenbutt wrote:

I agree - that's a good idea.  It's kind of aggravating that there will always be a few who don't seem to realize that a thread is a conversation.    

They don't read what anybody else says because, I guess in their minds, the only thing that matters is what they have to say.   I cannot help wonder how it is to have a face to face conversation with some folks.  It's like the other person is talking and they are looking at their phone or making their shopping list.   Then they speak with no regard for the conversation or for what the other person has said.  hehe

Sometimes I wonder if it's a sign of modern-day short attention spans. 

Rather than take/make the time to read through a thread, so often we see posts saying "I haven't read the responses."  Everyone's opinion is valuable, but if it's already been said before in that very thread I'm not sure how we have time to say it again but not enough time to see if it was already said...  if that imbroglio of a sentence makes any sense!Smiley

I have to admit, that's why I likely will abandon a thread after it goes for pages and pages and it starts to cycle through the same ideas and comments that were previously stated.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Oh, I hear ya - in spades!  Smiley Happy

I do the same.  If a thread gets away from me, and I feel like I cannot catch up, I let it go rather than just not listening to everybody else in the conversation.    There have been long-running threads in which I participated over the years which I just stopped because I'd come back and there would be another couple hundred replies since I was there last.

I do have to admit, though, that I do breeze by posts that are super ginormo-paragraphs or all screaming (all bolded, all caps, or gigantic font) because it makes my eyes cross and some of it is rude anyway (the screaming ones, that is).

Esteemed Contributor

What are they for anyway and why would someone get upset over that? I just ignore them too.

Honored Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I don't think that's always the case ....  Many questions in threads could be taken as an opinion  poll,  and everyone adds their two cents.    In those cases, most probably wouldn't think the thread is a conversation that must be read before answering.    That's my two cents, lol.