Honored Contributor

Moderator question - problem w/ Notification names

I've noticed that the Notification System only seems to work when use it in conjunction with the Drop Down Menu (which is fine).

I type in "@" and immediately the menu drops down and lists the names of the other people who have most recently posted to this thread.

If their name isn't listed -- either because they didn't post to this thread recently, or at all -- once I start typing their name, then usually their name will appear in the Drop Down Menu.

The one exception to this rule is for people who have more than one word in their Notification Name. Examples of these types names (which aren't actual names of members) would be "Fly Right", "Book Reader", "Life Is Good", "Tennis Pro", etc. -- These names almost never are listed as options in the Drop Down Menu (unless they were a recent poster in the thread that I am replying to). -- Just typing in @Fly Right or @Tennis Pro (for example), won't trigger the Notification System. So I have to go back to a thread in which they posted, start to reply to one of their messages, copy their notification name, and then paste it into the thread in which I want to notify them. 

I realized this about three weeks ago, and it's been an ongoing problem. 

Could one of the Moderators check this out and let me know what's happening. 

Thanks, in advance, 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: Moderator question - problem w/ Notification names

@bebe777 wrote:

I've noticed that the Notification System only seems to work when use it in conjunction with the Drop Down Menu (which is fine).

I type in "@" and immediately the menu drops down and lists the names of the other people who have most recently posted to this thread.

If their name isn't listed -- either because they didn't post to this thread recently, or at all -- once I start typing their name, then usually their name will appear in the Drop Down Menu.

@The one exception to this rule is for people who have more than one word in their Notification Name. Examples of these types names (which aren't actual names of members) would be "Fly Right", "Book Reader", "Life Is Good", "Tennis Pro", etc. -- These names almost never are listed as options in the Drop Down Menu (unless they were a recent poster in the thread that I am replying to). -- Just typing in @Fly Right or @Tennis Pro (for example), won't trigger the Notification System. So I have to go back to a thread in which they posted, start to reply to one of their messages, copy their notification name, and then paste it into the thread in which I want to notify them. 

Thanks, in advance, 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Hi @bebe777

@The issue is with the space. Any nickname with a space will not be able to be work with the @ mention function that was enabled with the new forum platform. This is a known issue which would require Community members to change their nickname to remove spaces. For the QVC team we added hyphens or underscores to remove spaces. Example:  Keyai-QVC or David_Venable

We made so many changes when moving to this new platform we did not feel it was worth forcing members to change the format of their nicknames. In the future new members will not be able to create a nickname with a space to address this topic that you noticed. 

I hope this explanation addresses your question.

Honored Contributor

@Keyai-QVC wrote:

@bebe777 wrote:

@The one exception to this rule is for people who have more than one word in their Notification Name. Examples of these types names (which aren't actual names of members) would be "Fly Right", "Book Reader", "Life Is Good", "Tennis Pro", etc. -- These names almost never are listed as options in the Drop Down Menu (unless they were a recent poster in the thread that I am replying to). -- Just typing in @Fly Right or @Tennis Pro (for example), won't trigger the Notification System. So I have to go back to a thread in which they posted, start to reply to one of their messages, copy their notification name, and then paste it into the thread in which I want to notify them. 

Thanks, in advance, 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Hi @bebe777

@The issue is with the space. Any nickname with a space will not be able to be work with the @ mention function that was enabled with the new forum platform. This is a known issue which would require Community members to change their nickname to remove spaces. For the QVC team we added hyphens or underscores to remove spaces. Example:  Keyai-QVC or David_Venable

We made so many changes when moving to this new platform we did not feel it was worth forcing members to change the format of their nicknames. In the future new members will not be able to create a nickname with a space to address this topic that you noticed. 

I hope this explanation addresses your question.

@Keyai I had the feeling that might be a limitation to the system, but I was hoping I was wrong. Oh well, at least the format will be changed for new members. 

Thanks, as always, for getting back to me so quickly on this. Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777, thank you for asking about this.  You devised a clever work-around.  I noticed it when trying to include @Susan Louise.

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

@bebe777@, thank you for asking about this.  You devised a clever work-around.  I noticed it when trying to include @Susan Louise.

Same here, @ValuSkr.  I am glad to have a definitive answer from @Keyai so that I can quit trying again and again on such nicknames.  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

@bebe777, I'm glad you raised the question and we now know the answer.  I really appreciate your tip for a workaround!

@Keyai, Thanks for the information about this.  I understand not forcing posters to change their names...  but what about a shout-out to everyone letting them know it might be useful if they want to alter their nickname slightly and remove the space?  Just a thought.

The "@" notification is one of my favorite features here, so even with the occasional hiccup it's fabulous addition to the forums. Have a lovely weekend, everyone!

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Respected Contributor

Thanks for asking about this, bebe777 and thanks for replying about it, Keyai. Smiley Happy

~Nick Chavez is my favorite vendor on QVC and Alberti Popaj is my favorite QVC host.~
Nick Chavez now has his own sub-forum under the My Favorite Brand folder