This post has been removed by QVC because it is rude

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac

I saw what you did there ROFLOL!

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

Re: Manners lacking....

[ Edited ]

@Winter Holiday the founder of the Quacker Factory line wanted the viewers to feel as if they were invited to her home for a party and always had snacks on set. The tradition continues. The food is a nod to hospitality.

ETA: the current vendor, Angel, will often offer this explanation during the shows.

Regular Contributor

Re: Manners lacking....

[ Edited ]

@SunValley Its nice that Angel is trying to carry on a tradition but food isn't always necessary. Again since QF is geared toward larger women first Having the food buffet doesn't help to reduce the stereotype of large women and their eating and the types of food on the set (snack cakes and such) makes it worse. The assumption that women are large because they like to eat and eat poorly (not always the reason) are loud and proud and I personally would seek to eliminate that element that is frequently part of the presentation. I am a large person and I think what they do is a disservice to my demographic of women.

I have caught enough QF presentations to know the story of Jeanne Bice. Its quite sad she has passed on. The brand's creative wants to honor tradition but its been about five years. I think its silly that Angel always mentions the same things. What about new vision and direction? What about clothes that are normal and not encrusted with bling or something that can be thrown in the washer. I noticed pretty much everything that line sells sparkles and has to be hand washed. The line also needs clothes that are stylish for women under 55. Some of those models are younger and look uncomfortable and ridiculous in those clothes like with the cat design. Too many of the offerings are theme-y

Anyway back to the real topic of this thread..... 

Trusted Contributor

@KYToby

If you are so bothered by this, why do you continue to watch?

I can answer this one.  So they can continue to post things like this.  You know...point out the flaws of the hosts.  Talk about manners lacking.

Honored Contributor

"Ham" is the perfect staple for them. Lol.

~~Be careful when you follow the masses. Sometimes the 'm' is silent.~~
Esteemed Contributor

If I were on air and was told to sell food I imagine I would taste it with passion to sell it.  The television audience can only imagine what it tastes like.  The job of a host is to tempt the buyers. 

I don't watch.  I probably would be in big trouble!

It really is no different than any other commercial on TV for food or restaurants. 

Notice sponsors can no longer sell cigarettes or alcohol on air. It tempts. 

Esteemed Contributor

bonnielu wrote:

If I were on air and was told to sell food I imagine I would taste it with passion to sell it.  The television audience can only imagine what it tastes like.  The job of a host is to tempt the buyers. 

I don't watch.  I probably would be in big trouble!

It really is no different than any other commercial on TV for food or restaurants. 

Notice sponsors can no longer sell cigarettes or alcohol on air. It tempts. 

Tobacco has been off television for about 40 years, but alcohol beverages are still advaertised on TV.  Many liquor brands are principal sponsors of television programs.  Cars and booze dominate advertising for sports programs.

Super Contributor

So often the hosts say they are starving when on - air!  Why not eat before the show? 

Honored Contributor

@ajw wrote:

So often the hosts say they are starving when on - air!  Why not eat before the show? 

If I was about to go on air to sell food, I wouldn't dream of eating first because I know I'd have to eat food during the show.