Occasional Contributor

I am sooooo sick of the guests not letting the hosts do their job.  I liked QVC much better back in the days when they didn't have so many guests on.  I just watched Aimee Kestebergs handbag show.  I was interested in the last one her and Kersten Lindquist were selling.  Aimee spent so much time describing the colors on the bag (which were quite obvious if you looked at your TV screen) and telling us over and over how much she loved the bag, she never did say how the bag closes, if it is with a magnet, zipper or something else.  They never showed the inside of the bag either.  Yes, I could look it up on .com, but shouldn't have to when they just talked about it for about 8 minutes.

Honored Contributor

I know what you mean.  But, of course, I liked the old Q.  The old style, the old hosts, etc.  And that is no more.  I just find that I don't watch much at all any more.  I look on-line and see what the offerings are for the day.  I might check on the schedule and if there is something that is interesting, I will check it out but I seldom watch.  I just don't have the patience any more and I'd just as soon look on-line and then read reviews.  A lot of times you watch and wait to get pertinent information and you don't get the answers you really want.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

AngelPuppy and mnkitty:

Both of you in exacting verbiage have completely expressed my sentiments,(and I'm sure those of many),  concerning vendors and hosts at the Q "on air."  The problem happens with most any product, but I do find the handbags are frequently the target as I have the same questions and problems. Not just with Amy K. but most of the vendors and hosts. The big thing also for me is they often don't show or tell me if the handbag has feet on it or not, which is a consideration for me. Often I have to go on line and look it up myself. Ridiculous is it not, when they are there to give me complete information about each handbag ? No tour of the inside, or how it closes, certainly is forgotten. Also, I'd like to know the weight of the bag without researching it myself. The vendor's job is to insure we understand the handbags as designed for function and the host's job is to insure a sale  in my opinion. So why is this so difficult when it is the entire purpose of the show and taping it for view on line ?

They become social, and lose track of their responsibilities. Okay to be friends and friendly, but executing your job to the fullest should be constantly a priority. ( It matters not to me if they had lunch together yesterday.)

Some hosts do better, but most are too "social" to stay on cue. I miss the days of getting SOME basic measurements on clothing as well. (Not the extensive details it eventually got to before they stopped, but at least the length on a garment.) Quick basics would be fine.

Yes, the days of old, reminders of Kathy Levine and others, were the best of times for a large variety of reasons. Most definitely to those we are speaking of in these posts.

It would be marvelous if our words didn't fall on deaf ears, but I don't have my hopes up much. Venting is supposed to be therapeutic when not done in a destructive manner, so perhaps we at least said our peace and feel a bit better. Thanks ladies.                       Heart

Esteemed Contributor

I agree completely. I've been watching QVC for two decades and while I understand that change is inevitable, in this case it has not been for the better. The incessant chit chat does not compensate for giving viewers information about what's on the screen. Years ago, garment measurements were always provided by hosts. Now, if you blink your eyes, 

you'll miss the measurements flashing on the screen. Quality decline has been mentioned by many on these boards. And value? I can find much better bargains from other online retailers. Convenience is there but we pay for that with expensive return costs. I hardly watch QVC anymore. I look online for what I want. I can find more information online than on air. I don't need to hear about where I can wear shoes or what to do with a pot.

Honored Contributor

I'm always suspicious when any item has obvious characteristics glossed over too quickly, or not shown at all.  Not showing the inside of the bag?  My thoughts go to -- the opening is not generous enough, or the the lining is ugly, etc. I may be wrong about the item, but I feel they planted the seed, and haven't shown otherwise, so I move on.

Honored Contributor

Re: I have to vent....

[ Edited ]

That is interesting because although I am not a long-term QVC shopper, I find that the hosts don't usually add anything to the actual description of the product- they just tend to tell us how many are left, how many are bought, the supposed savings, how they like it,  etc -all the fluff, unimportant stuff and rarely anything about the actual product.

That is whay I prefer the vendor to talk more because they tend to actually talk about the product and its' characteristic. It really should be the job of the host to ASK the vendor about the other characteristics the vendor is not discussing, guide the vendor through the presentation and keep them on track, but I haven't ever really seen a host get into specifics of the product, just talk about alot of fluff.

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because of host bashing.

Respected Contributor

The bottom line for me is that I shop less (buy less) on QVC now.  Some of the female hosts believe they are cute and funny celebrities.  NOT!

Trusted Contributor

Today I watched Ms. Gellar with the "My Stars and Garters" hostess.  I have never seen any of the hosts so detached/distracted from what she was supposed to be doing.  She was on another planet.  Her grade:  D-.  (Of course Laura knew what was happening.  She told the hostess at the signoff that she needed to talk with her about her "performance ".)

Honored Contributor

Re: I have to vent....

[ Edited ]

@ritasNo1Fan wrote:

Today I watched Ms. Gellar with the "My Stars and Garters" hostess.  I have never seen any of the hosts so detached/distracted from what she was supposed to be doing.  She was on another planet.  Her grade:  D-.  (Of course Laura knew what was happening.  She told the hostess at the signoff that she needed to talk with her about her "performance ".)

This is not what happened at all. In fact she told the host that she had such a good time with her. I have it recorded and just finished watching it. She didn't say anything about needing to talk to her about her performance, the host said she they didn't get into too much trouble during the presentation and Laura said to her, "well you may have" and made a silly face. They were clearly joking around.

And besides, I am pretty sure Laura geller is a bit more professional than to scold or reprimand a host or anyone else onair. She has more class than that.