Respected Contributor

Re: How about a separate QVC channel just devoted to 24 hours of Christmas?

@twocent wrote:

Wow  Not a pity party , but a different point of view.

I have a different take, though I know the commercial reasoning behind retailers introduction of Christmas items.

My holidays as a child were horrid, so I have lots of lost time to "make up for."  We weren't poor, but my "dad" had "interests" outside of the family and we never enjoyed holidays- be it  a new outfit  or  candy at Easter, nor a celebration of Thanksgiving or  Christmas- and surely none of the giving or festivities that went with them.

Holidays only  gave my "dad" one more excuse to rant like a mad man .

Because of this, and the child still inside me who wasn't afforded a normal childhood, I celebrate the holidays to the fullest.  That doesn't mean digging into the wallet and being in debt the remainder of the year, but I do indulge based on a budget.

I love the music, the decorations, and meaning of the day.  I relish each holiday season and they bring much joy, and yes still a little sadness of holidays lost and "what could have been." 

This too shall pass.  We will return to the same ole items, and be speaking of Valentines day ( the next money maker for retailers )  , right around the corner.

You are making special memories for others as well as for yourself, and will leave a legacy of joy. How nice!

Honored Contributor

What I will never understand, is why some posters are so sensitive about any criticism of QVC

or their programming. It is just a shopping channel, not your friend or family. The OP. is

entitled to her opinion.   We all know how to change the channel .

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Those of us who don't care for hour after hour of Christmas programming aren't being "subjected" to anything.  As far as I know, I'm not the only one with a remote control and access to a multitude of other channels.  QVC is a retailer.  If you don't care for what they are selling....don't go into the store. 

Honored Contributor

I'm also one for whom this is not (at all!) appealing programming.  But they will do, and need to do, whatever makes sense to their bottom line so Idon't begrudge them that.  It's business.

That said, I'm just amazed at how much some folks watch.   If there is something that interests me I might tune in.  If not, I don't.  The end.

Meanwhile, they are hopefully doing whatever is best toward their bottom line.  I would imagine that the number of people who actually like this kind of programming is higher than those of us who don't.

Respected Contributor

At least it's not 24 hours of BOSE, mattresses, computers, or any other type of programming some might not enjoy.  It could be so much worse.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL!  OP has a great sense of humor to start this amusing thread.  With that line of reasoning, QVC would have a separate channel for viewers who don't like WEN weekends (oh wait, Chaz has lots of infomercials everywhere), & for the cooking/food events for people who don't like David's yum-yum face, & for the fashion days for shoppers who don't like certain vendors, & so on.  At this rate, QVC would have to buy their own separate cable company.  Each channel would be a specific item category.  

:-)  :-)  :-)

Respected Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

What I will never understand, is why some posters are so sensitive about any criticism of QVC

or their programming. It is just a shopping channel, not your friend or family. The OP. is

entitled to her opinion.   We all know how to change the channel .

How is it that anyone who doesn't agree with this subject which appears ad nauseum on these forums is "so sensitive" yet the people who endlessly post the demands that QVC stop showing their Christmas programming or start another channel and are apparently so addicted to QVC that they cannot conceive of watching another channel or simply turning off their TV aren't?

QVC is a business.  They show what sells and apparently there are more people BUYING the Christmas merchandise than those complaining about being forced to watch it.

Hmmm, maybe this could become a new drinking game.  For every bah humbug post, a hearty taste of egg nog!

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@june22 wrote:

@twocent wrote:

Wow  Not a pity party , but a different point of view.

I have a different take, though I know the commercial reasoning behind retailers introduction of Christmas items.

My holidays as a child were horrid, so I have lots of lost time to "make up for."  We weren't poor, but my "dad" had "interests" outside of the family and we never enjoyed holidays- be it  a new outfit  or  candy at Easter, nor a celebration of Thanksgiving or  Christmas- and surely none of the giving or festivities that went with them.

Holidays only  gave my "dad" one more excuse to rant like a mad man .

Because of this, and the child still inside me who wasn't afforded a normal childhood, I celebrate the holidays to the fullest.  That doesn't mean digging into the wallet and being in debt the remainder of the year, but I do indulge based on a budget.

I love the music, the decorations, and meaning of the day.  I relish each holiday season and they bring much joy, and yes still a little sadness of holidays lost and "what could have been." 

This too shall pass.  We will return to the same ole items, and be speaking of Valentines day ( the next money maker for retailers )  , right around the corner.

@twocent  they have after Christmas sales for weeks  AFTER Christmas.....then start up with Christmas in July in March!  It is just too much. A separate channel would appease everyone. 

I understand your thoughts and you are entitled to them, but I just don't understand that anyone is "subjected " to watching.

There are other shopping channels  and programs to select from . We aren't chained to a chair with a broken remote.  Why not expand your horizons, and I am not being a snot.   My dh is no fan of any shopping channel. lol

I don't think a separate channel would appease everyone.  QVC doesn't have that many vendors that appeal to me , but it doesn't stress me out, as they must appeal to many, as the success and repetitive programs would suggest so.  I enjoy their programming more when it varies a little,  from the "same ole, same ole "- as when  there is an upcoming holiday. 

I don't even mind the "after Christmas sales."  The stores  usually offer very deep discounts, prior to inventory time -and that allows many with little income ,  to make purchases they otherwise could not.  I am always up for a bargain!

You'll find my heart at the Rainbow Bridge. Smiley Sad
Honored Contributor

I'm sorry, but changing the channel is clearly the answer.  I like the Christmas programming.  Sorry I missed "Christmas in July in March" as someone seemed to indicate.  I like to spread my holiday shopping over the year.  I rarely, if ever, watch the beauty shows (of which there are many more than Christmas shows during the course of a year, I believe), so I watch something else.  Or I immerse myself in coloring....my favorite hobby these days

Respected Contributor

We already have one, and you're watching it.  It's called "QVC".  

Christmas 24/7, 365 days a year.

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."