Respected Contributor

I for one do not care how many are sold for the day, how many sold in this presentation, or how many sold this month!  Just a suggestion, QVC, most of your viewers do not care and it gets annoying to listen to the host constantly telling us this information.  If the intention is to get us to buy because so many others have, that does not work on me.  I do not make up my mind based on how many have been sold.  Maybe you could tell us how many have been returned?  Sold means nothing to me.

Honored Contributor

Re: How Many Sold

[ Edited ]

I think I don't care, but given all kinds of psychology says we all like to belong to groups, I'm not so sure there's not some subconscious effect on me.

Anyway, I assume QVC's computer monitoring tells them where the spikes and valleys show up in their sales figures.  I'm thinking they often move upward when they give sales figures.  If that's true, why would they change?

ETA:  I'm not sure the return number tells me much.  When I read why some people return things, I sometimes don't know why they ordered to begin with or they're ordering more than one of an item and choosing only one, or like my last return - they didn't check click here measurements and should have known better than to choose the size they did.  It's not always the company's fault.

Esteemed Contributor

It's especially annoying when they suddenly interrupt the guest that is mid-sentence to give us this information in a tone that would make you think they're about to announce that they just got word through their earpiece that the world is coming to an end.

Honored Contributor

Can't imagine anyone trying to sell things would ever, as a part of their sales pitch, say how many were returned.  However, I actually don't mind how many were sold...............providing they only mention it once or twice during a presentation.  I used to love David's shows, but I've grown weary of the incessant updating of colors and quantities left.  It's gotten very old.  Maybe quickly scroll that information on the bottom of the screen?

Honored Contributor

Pay attention ... frequently the numbers are exactly the same from item to item / show to show.  

Honored Contributor

They're not saying it because you care, they're saying it because it puts pressure on people, even when they aren't aware they're falling for it.

Honored Contributor

I have to respectfully disagree with OP.

I do want to know how many of an item has sold. They used to put it on screen more often than they do now, but I find that information valuable. If that many people have purchased it, there are usually a lot of reviews, and I can then go check those out to see what people are saying about the product.

If there is a product airing that catches my interests, and they note that a large quantity have sold (in total, or this day or this hour, I like to hear it all) I know that if I am even the least bit interested, I should check reviews and compare prices to other places etc. before they begin to sell out of colors etc.

It doesn't drive me to hit the submit button right away, but does give me some indication that others are (or aren't!) finding value in this product. 

Honored Contributor

@Catch71  What more drives me is how much they charge us for items these days.  Prices here for anything and everything have sky rocketed.  I so very rarely but anything here anymore.  I find it totally insane the price tags here and some lines of clothing - Denim & Co for one, has lost its base of consumers.  Other lines, SG, logo, prices are just laughable nowadays.

Honored Contributor

@shaggygirl wrote:

It's especially annoying when they suddenly interrupt the guest that is mid-sentence to give us this information in a tone that would make you think they're about to announce that they just got word through their earpiece that the world is coming to an end.

That's my pet peeve as well

Why can't they just show us somewhere on the screen, like a type of "ticker"?

Trusted Contributor

It bugs me when the host mentions that a certain color, is going fast...in final quantities...about to sell out, etc. at midnight, AND if I tune in after work at 4:00 P.M., that color is still there!  WHAT??!!