Trusted Contributor

Re: DRESS CODE- presenters and hosts???

The hosts come in different shapes and sizes and not all are like the models.  I would appreciate seeing the hosts wear more of the fashion they are trying to sell to us.  This would give us another chance to see the product on a real person and they would not have to show it on a hanger.  Some hosts now often take a brief minute to tell what they are wearing even when not on that show.  A small block will appear giving us ordering information if we want it.  I appreciate that.

Honored Contributor

I've seen this topic come up every now and then, and try to see both sides.

If YOU were a host, how would you feel about being told you can ONLY wear the shopping channel's offerings?    I  speculate that these women have their own personal styles, and why can't they wear things from their own wardrobes?   Isn't the purpose of the models to model the clothing?   Why should the hosts have to wear the clothing, as well?      

Now ....   as for the sloppy looks the hosts sometimes wear, you can't please everyone.   Some viewers won't mind the extreme casual look.    Other viewers would react to a more formal dress code with "who does she think she is?".    

You can't please everyone.  Personally, in the overall scheme of the universe, there are more important things to focus on.  JMO.

Respected Contributor

Noticed one host wearing a sleeveless ddress with somewhat revealing neckline slouching with elbows on table when talking about a product.  Maybe she had been up for Midnight sales!  Anyway, did not represent a good visual for TV. in my opinion.

As or hosts wearing QVC products, I am just surprised it's not done by some since it gives on-going visual to consumers of how things wear, wrinkle, can be accessorised, etc. over a longer period of time.  After all, aren't they "proud" of their products?

One other incident stands out in my mind this week.  A host wore a dress when the TSV was Laurie G's belt bag.  All day long hosts had been showing how "inconspicuous" they were.  This host not able to do so. (And we all know how many times the TSV is shown during the day.)  Guess it was not considered as important as tanners, miracle tweezers, etc.  I would think the TSV would dictate what's worn.

Just my opinion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@twins mom wrote:

Noticed one host wearing a sleeveless ddress with somewhat revealing neckline slouching with elbows on table when talking about a product.  Maybe she had been up for Midnight sales!  Anyway, did not represent a good visual for TV. in my opinion.

As or hosts wearing QVC products, I am just surprised it's not done by some since it gives on-going visual to consumers of how things wear, wrinkle, can be accessorised, etc. over a longer period of time.  After all, aren't they "proud" of their products?

One other incident stands out in my mind this week.  A host wore a dress when the TSV was Laurie G's belt bag.  All day long hosts had been showing how "inconspicuous" they were.  This host not able to do so. (And we all know how many times the TSV is shown during the day.)  Guess it was not considered as important as tanners, miracle tweezers, etc.  I would think the TSV would dictate what's worn.

Just my opinion.

@Twins Mom

You can certainly be "proud" of what your employer offers, but that's no guarantee that every single item will be flattering, or your personal taste.   Besides, isn't that why they employ all the models?

Respected Contributor

You make a good point.  But if the host picks something from any of the collections, it would be a salute to their designers.  They can certainly pick from the items that they find personally attractive.  Doesn't have to be from that specific show.

Respected Contributor

I say, everyone in camo overalls! Uniform thingy.. (I always loved overalls) - On this topic seriously, I don't mind what they wear. If it's cute and not a Q item, then I know the gals here will locate it most likely.

But, there are very early mornings like 6:30am and I see a vendor in a short slip type dress, very low cut and feel I have to use the remote.

They'd look much cuter if they "finished dressing". I mean it's morning... O.O...

As far as hosts dressing, there are times a host will wear a very revealing top/shirt or dress or whatever it is on air. (Not on Q's fancy smancy red carpet stuff/events)

I think it was earlier today someone stopped by and looked at my T.V. and was taken back too and made a negative comment. (male)...so it wasn't just me.

Remote time again then, sadly. Maybe it's done for sales to increase. I'm not sure.

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Honored Contributor

All of the many, maaaany "dress code/I'm no prude BUT" threads invariably crack me up. They never fail to be good entertainment.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

A manner of dressing most certainly does have to do with being respectful or disrespectful.

If someone is having a formal affair and an invited guest shows up in jeans and tennis shoes, shorts, sweatpants, etc., that is not only inappropriate but it is disrespectful. 

And yeah, I'm often shocked at the way people choose to present themselves and the sloppy manner in which they dress for certain occassions.  It still makes me shake my head when I see someone out and about in the stores wearing pajamas.  Have some self-respect and get dressed.  And don't tell me times are changing.   

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

All of the many, maaaany "dress code/I'm no prude BUT" threads invariably crack me up. They never fail to be good entertainment.

@Moonchilde

And more than a few of them say "I'm no prude BUT .... "  and then they make some very uptight and prudish comments!   LOL

Honored Contributor

Does everyone who's so offended can always leave a comment on that person's Facebook account?  Instead of complaining on a message board, give the person some diplomatic feedback ....  you'd be doing them a favor.