Honored Contributor

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Simbasmom wrote:

I was really getting tired of Christmas in July but now I am also seeing shows this month of August. I really wish they would wait until later Sept at least until they start the Christmas shopping. Does anyone else feel this way? 

Yes.  I always have felt that they have turned this holiday into a money grab.  I don't like Christmas in July, August, September, October.  I can deal with Christmas in November and up till Christmas day.

You must have issues with every shopping venue and mall every year, then. They may not all start full-force in August, but not all that long after. Certainly the b&m stores & the malls start decorating and even playing Xmas music after Labor Day and before Halloween.

A person would have to never leave the house, not watch TV and not be anywhere online either to avoid holiday advertising until November.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I never watch Q's Christmas shows.  Most of it is, IMO, junk or it's the same old, same old under a holiday themed show title.  I find them very boring.

If you like them, go for it.   

Honored Contributor

I like to spread out my Christmas shopping purchases.  Having the Christmas shows months earlier works well for me.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Simbasmom wrote:

I was really getting tired of Christmas in July but now I am also seeing shows this month of August. I really wish they would wait until later Sept at least until they start the Christmas shopping. Does anyone else feel this way? 

Yes.  I always have felt that they have turned this holiday into a money grab.  I don't like Christmas in July, August, September, October.  I can deal with Christmas in November and up till Christmas day.

You must have issues with every shopping venue and mall every year, then. They may not all start full-force in August, but not all that long after. Certainly the b&m stores & the malls start decorating and even playing Xmas music after Labor Day and before Halloween.

A person would have to never leave the house, not watch TV and not be anywhere online either to avoid holiday advertising until November.

Well, yeah!  I didn't say I could avoid it.  I said I don't like it. 

I remember when Macy's used to put up their tree right after Thanksgiving.  I have no idea when they put it up now. 

*Call Tyrone*
Respected Contributor

Yes, please wait 'til the temperatures

are no longer 90 degrees~!

Image result for animated santa freezing

Trusted Contributor

Seriously, though, everytime I read a "stop showing Christmas shows in July/August" post, I wonder if that individual goes to their local department store, demands to see the manager, then proceeds to usher that manager around every department in that store demanding, "Take this away!  I want this department gone!  Get it all out of here, NOW!"  That would probably be crazy and stupid, right?  Most well-adjusted people would just visit the departments of their choice and ignore the rest, or in this case, just watch whatever programs interested them, and changed the channel for the rest.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@itiswhatitis wrote:

@Simbasmom wrote:

Lots of people who work or have very demanding lives really need the months to get ready.  I remember when I worked long hours and had sick relatives, I would start in late summer getting ready because if I didn't there was no Christmas at our house. . . If you have time to do it all in November and December, you are lucky!!!!  It has been many years since it was that way for me, and it was more fun, but those days are long gone.

Enjoy if you can do that!!!  I envy you!!!

I'm not sure how much time one needs to prepare for Christmas.  I just know I don't want to see hyper sales pitches for the holiday months away from the day.  I never liked it.  I doubt I ever will.  Spend, spend, spend.  You have to get it now.  Now is your best bet.  Yadda, yadda. Ugggghhhhh.

The best time to buy for Christmas is right after Christmas.  All decorations are probably 75% off.  Wrapping paper, things of that nature.  I think the markdowns and savings will be fewer as the price of items continue to rise and people has less disposable income.

Christmas has never been, nor will it ever be about $$$ for me.  To each his/her own.

*Call Tyrone*
Honored Contributor

@Simbasmom wrote:

@Simbasmom

My feelings pretty much on this, also!

I love Christmas, don't get me wrong.  But I don't want to see it in July or August!  I like to enjoy the seasons as they happen and I think having all of the seasons and holidays and occasions jumbled together does not do them justice and takes away from the specialness of them.  

DH said he saw some type of commercial on t.v. last week for something to do with Christmas.  Ridiculous.

As for shopping in July or whenever for Christmas, of course, it's everyone choice.  I don't actively shop for presents this early, but if I happen to see something in passing that I know is perfect for someone, I will get it.  Otherwise, I believe in waiting until Thanksgiving is over to shop, to decorate, etc.  I have always done it this way and always will.  

My mind is too focused on so many other things right now.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@KYToby wrote:

@Simbasmom wrote:

If the majority of shoppers felt like you, QVC would not be making tens of thousands of sales during these C/hristmas shows.  It's the sales that QVC notices.

Even so, it's ok for OP and others to voice their discontent with Christmas shows.