Honored Contributor

Re: Argumentative ...

[ Edited ]

LibbyAnnE wrote:

This is an honest question and not a criticism: Why take this so seriously? I read this section out of curiosity because I obviously don't understand the issue or the idea of being so concerned about a forum section on qvc. I think if you are that involved or invested in this, you might want to step back and get more involved in the real world. I don't mean to sound rude, but, to repeat, I clearly don't understand how anyone can take this seriously. What am I missing? 

@libbyannE,  I don't feel asking these questions means everyone takes it "seriously."    These meta discussions take place often and are a natural outcome on any forum.   People who visit often, or even those not here very much, naturally have questions about the way the forum works, how it's moderated, etc., even after they read the published standards and guidelines.   In addition to that, this forum is important to some posters who don't always have the option of getting out into the "real world."   The conversations are important contacts, people do make friends, and this is more than the dismissive term sometimes used, "just a chat board."   Even though you might not feel "invested" in the community of people here, this place means a great deal to some.   In my case, it doesn't bother me when my posts vaporize because I realize we can't know specifically how the moderators have been advised to manage threads and, also, we don't know how many other responsibilities they have in addition to monitoring the forums.  

If we consider the number of sub-forums X number of threads X number of posts...   they're watching over a lot of information.  (We do know, from their posts, that they also read and send email messages from/to posters and customers, they monitor QVC Facebook pages, they research and follow up on customer problems reported to them, and they're the liaison with the IT support group regarding technical website problems.)   I think it helps for us to remember when we post it's not guaranteed to be a permanent addition to the site, try to consider it ephemeral, and try to move forward to the next discussion...  but I also think it's understandable that seeing things removed can be frustrating and it really is puzzling sometimes.   I, for one, would like to see the standards rewritten to be slightly more clear, but this has been requested before with no real results.   They have a catch-all at the end of the standards, basically saying the moderators will remove any content they deem inappropriate.

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Honored Contributor

Re: Argumentative ...

[ Edited ]

I wanted to add...   I don't think the moderators remove posts or threads simply because they've been flagged.   As other posters said, we know we flag posts or threads that stay put, so the alert doesn't mean an automatic zap.    On another thread, we talked about the fact that the new platform associates some replies with other replies.  

We have the choice of clicking on the word "REPLY" at the top of the thread or clicking on the word "REPLY" on one of the responses.   If we choose the latter, our comment becomes part of a "chain" associated with that particular reply... even if we didn't quote it.   In some cases, if the moderator deletes one post, all the posts which were created by clicking  on that particular post's "REPLY" button also go poof.   A chain reaction.

I think I probably made that as clear as mud, but hope it makes sense.😜🙃

Few things reveal your intellect and your generosity of spirit—the parallel powers of your heart and mind—better than how you give feedback.~Maria Popova
Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde  I agree with you 100%.  You are right because the same people that attack you, attack me

In my eyes you are one of the best posters on the board.   

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo  I am glad you posted this, because I never realized that if your post is attached, you go along with the deletion.  That is good to know!

Honored Contributor

And, @dooBdoo, the thread wasn't created to be about deletion complaints at all - I stated that upfront - and that "inappropriate" covers *everything*, actually, in a nutshell. They get to say what they feel is inappropriate and that's very valid. My comment (as I've seen other threads about in the past) was essentially that it might be nicer, better, less odd-sounding or whatever, if they just said inappropriate as opposed to using a word or phrase that clearly didn't fit the situation. As you know, I'm not the first person to comment on that and I'm sure I won't be the last. I don't think a single person in this thread except one or two has taken any of it seriously.

I kinda wish you hadn't included the housebound thing, because now posters will be subjected to cracks about that ;-( (just joking - kinda). It'll become the new "You're just jealous!" of the forums. 

For the record (not directed at you, dooB), I'm not housebound and can go out as I choose (had a great Victorian tea on Sunday, planning to go out for some wildlife photography as soon as we're done with current rain) but due to health issues I've had since early December, I often choose to stay home and be online. Nothing serious and won't last forever, but putting a crimp in my gallivanting currently. 

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

@Moonchilde  I agree with you 100%.  You are right because the same people that attack you, attack me

In my eyes you are one of the best posters on the board.   

Aw, thank you @BalletBabe! 😍

Honored Contributor

BalletBabe wrote:

@dooBdoo  I am glad you posted this, because I never realized that if your post is attached, you go along with the deletion.  That is good to know!

@BalletBabe, I'm glad it helps.   One of the moderators mentioned it a while back and some of us had one of those "light bulb" moments.😁   Evidently, they have the option to delete individual posts or to remove the offending post and all those associated with it, and my guess is that when they don't have time they use the latter option.   I've even seen them come back and restore a few posts after the fact, but I'm guessing it all involves how much time they have to address the details.  

Honored Contributor

@BalletBabe wrote:

I thinkthe moderators only discovered that relatively recently.

Esteemed Contributor

@dooBdoo wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

@BalletBabe, I'm glad it helps.   One of the moderators mentioned it a while back and some of us had one of those "light bulb" moments.😁   Evidently, they have the option to delete individual posts or to remove the offending post and all those associated with it, and my guess is that when they don't have time they use the latter option.   I've even seen them come back and restore a few posts after the fact, but I'm guessing it all involves how much time they have to address the details.  

It helps a lot.  Thanks for taking the time to explain.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@BalletBabe wrote:

I think the moderators only discovered that relatively recently.

All I know is that Smokey posted a lovely pair of earrings for me, that had toilets hanging on them.  I went to reply and poof!   Smoky cracks me up!