Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Moonchilde...my favorite was on a locked thread that had "run it's course," and I'm here to tell you that it had indeed LOL.  I disagree slightly with the idea that the mods just delete anything that's reported.  I have reported a post or three that were not deleted.  Having been a moderator for a small, now-defunct organization...back in the day when everyone's comments were just streaming in a chat room (anyone remember those?)...I tend to believe that the mods are actually sitting wherever (I was at home in my jammies!) and following along.

~~~ I call dibs on the popcorn concession!! ~~~
Respected Contributor

At first I liked that the mods gave a reason for removing posts or locking/moving threads hoping it would give me some idea of how the standards were being enforced. Now I really don't bother to check. Their definitions of criteria are not even standardized among the mods, let alone lining up with mine. Some squabbles go unchecked and others get gutted immediately. What's unkind or argumentative is subjective.

I think sometimes the mods don't want to deal with the role of being referee and just end the discussion and may put some posters on notice.

Honored Contributor

@Beansey wrote:

It seems that there will be many posts and maybe one or two are a bit snarky but there are many posts after those. Then when the posts all seem to be non argumentative, the thread gets poofed. Why not just poof the one or two but not the entire thread? Surely not all OP are being argumentative.  IMHO, I think a shift change occurs and a new mod comes on who decides to get rid of all the posts. Wondering why.  Perhaps there is something about the posts that the mod doesn't really feel "comfortable" with. Not sure why the reason is argumentative when the posters are agreeing with each other. Troubling!

@Beansey, not sure whether it's 'uncomfortable' or 'don't have time for this, not going to bother.'

I really didn't intend for this thread to be challenging moderation or just knocking it in general because I think many moderators do a great job in the face of created chaos. But if anyone reads this, they might get a feel for some things they might could ;-) take into consideration and/or work on/think about.

Some may "just delete", but they probably "just delete" period and that's how they roll, permanently.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF, I've come to the unhappy conclusion that some just delete without much consideration. And the elephant in the room - I think some see certain peoples' posts and hit delete on theirs more than others.

Maybe some are new at moderating and are just uncomfortable with it. Easier to click bye than make a decision they don't want to make for whatever reason. I don't know.

Several moderators have my respect as being as fair as anyone could be.

Honored Contributor

I feel as many of you do.  In addition, I've reported posts that were hateful, snarky, or obnoxious and they remain.

As I told my juniors and seniors, "Don't expect everyone who has reached the age of being an adult to be well adjusted, functional, and exhibit good values.".  

Respected Contributor

Wanted to add that I too feel overall the moderation task is handled very professionally. I just don't try to read too much into the reasons given.

Honored Contributor

I have never reported anyone but I find it very annoying to be reading though a long thread and finding several of the comments deleted.  I would rather have the whole thing thread locked so it does not waste my time.  

Respected Contributor

I think we all know the rules and also know when we are testing how far we can go and how much we can get away with.  I think the mods are doing what they are paid to do.  If they are not fulfilling their job requirements, they will know about it from their employer.

Honored Contributor

My local radio news station (WTOP) announced today that they will no longer have a "comments" page on their website.  Too many problems with comments.  People bring such actions on themselves, ultimately penalizing everyone else.  Maybe that's their intent.  I won't be surprised when QVC gives up on their boards.

Honored Contributor

I'm seeing more threads poofed with "inappropriate" as the reason. I know that will infuriate some, but actually, I find that a very logical valid reason and it's to the point - that the moderator, acting on behalf of QVC, felt the content was inappropriate as a representation of what QVC wants to say about itself and its customers.

Now, what they find inappropriate will vary from moderator to moderator, but at least it's a reason that's accurate to the moderator, rather than using a word/reason that *doesn't* describe the thread/post/situation accurately. 

It will make some angry(ier) but as for me I can accept it more readily than some other reasons typically given.