Super Contributor

A general comment to some posters here!

I don't understand why some people who participate in the forums need to respond with such 'barbed' comments.  We all think differently, have differing opinions on day-to-day events, people etc etc.  But some posters seem to have a need to jump all over another person's post, just because they disagree!  Heaven forbid!  Why not just respond, but in a polite, or joking way, not in the sometimes spiteful way I've seen occasionally.  Just asking!  There's enough hatred in the world, without making the forums hateful too!!  For example, I like Logo, lots of people don't, I can't stand some hosts, I watch QVC on an 'as-needed' basis!  Sometimes I just need to 'veg-out', but I certainly don't need to hear any spiteful comments about my preferences.  

Please ladies, lets be more courteous to each other.  This interaction may be the only one they have every day, if they live alone maybe, or can't get out of the house.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: A general comment to some posters here!

Amen. 

Valued Contributor

quotes_sillyhonestkind.jpg

Honored Contributor

You don't like it when people are (in your opinion) not "polite enough" when they respond to you, but you see nothing inappropriate in starting a thread and saying - 

"I don't watch many live shows anymore, for several reasons, and watch recordings of any shows I didn't want to miss! A couple of nights ago I had to turn off the show I was actually watching live, because of the absolute rubbish coming out of the host's mouth! And this was along with prancing around the set, suddenly putting her hands on her hips, in an almost defiant manner! The posing, the over-the-top constant talking, has made me realize I can't watch live shows any more! <snip>"

Much of the time, there are reasons why people respond to someone as they do. You don't appear all that fragile and sensitive - my guess is you can "handle" things just fine.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

Some things just aren't ok, and claiming that it's "my opinion" doesn't make it ok. You're dreaming if you think every single opinion will be, or even deserves to be respected. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Honored Contributor

I get testy when I think a poster is being bullied or there is general  ganging up by the usual suspects. However, then I get snarky and perpetuate the problem. I don't know , it seems some posters take pride in " telling it like it is " and talking down to people. I have no answers.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I get testy when I think a poster is being bullied or there is general  ganging up by the usual suspects. However, then I get snarky and perpetuate the problem. I don't know , it seems some posters take pride in " telling it like it is " and talking down to people. I have no answers.

Most of us get a feeling of when to engage, when not to, and how far.

You can't forbid sarcasm as a category of speech/response and not every post is worthy of getting involved. 

(You know I'm not disagreeing with you, right? Just following on.)

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

Most of us get a feeling of when to engage, when not to, and how far.

You can't forbid sarcasm as a category of speech/response and not every post is worthy of getting involved. 

(You know I'm not disagreeing with you, right? Just following on.)

@Moonchilde@Yes, have no fear ,I understand.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

The posters who fall into the category described in the OP will either not see themselves in this description or don't care about pleas for civility. That's why the forum guidelines were revamped and the mods were given the task of enforcing them. I will try to behave myself, ignore the posters who enjoy stepping on the guidelines, and post on threads that interest me. I have no control other than over myself, and that can be a job. If I write a response when irritated, I always re-read it multiple times, go do something else, then come back and read it again before hitting "post." I usually hit "cancel."

Honored Contributor

@Goldengate8361 wrote:

Amen. 

I was going to say the same thing-Amen!

and thank you @AJW!

and something I was just realizing is that I used to automatically discount or ignore someone who was snarky or rude most of the time on these forums, but lately, I've also noticed that a lot of them can also be nicer on other threads but maybe talking about something they like or about themselves and something they like.I thought is this a kind of split personality or something else?

I thought, maybe that is some people's personalities-they may have a very low theshold for dealing with things they don't agree with or scorn or find fault with-thus the "barbed" "snark"., which just may be their normal, blunt way of expressing their own thoughts without a polite filter which they have no patience for.

I do admire people who are honest but on the other hand I wish people would be kind and caring to each other, just as they would want to be treated.

Maybe they can tell themselves they don't care what people think of them but if that were true, I don't think they would post here at all. What would be the point? You would always be curious to see people's responses.

Maybe this is just my hopefully not hopeless belief that people can't possibly be all bad or all non-caring.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"