Honored Contributor

Re: Wimbledon 2016 seedings - Men's & Women's Singles

Got to love this Federer/Willis match.  What a memory for the young man and his friends and family.  Go Marcus!

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter, Federer is my all time favorite male player, but I really feel for Willis... so far it's an interesting route. -- I really hope it's not a triple bagel. 

Between Brexit and losing to Iceland in football, it's been a tough week for the Brits. Smiley Sad

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Bouchard just advanced....yippee!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Federer got through too which I'm happy about. His opponent, Marcus Willis (the British qualifier) really gave it his all and it was a fun match to watch. Smiley Happy

@MickD, congrats on Bouchard getting through!! Smiley Happy

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 ~ I love Rog!...I just saw the highlights of that match.  I really like Nadal too....even though his OCD drives many crazy...he's out, right??

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

@MickD, unfortunately Rafa is injured and had to withdraw from Wimbledon. If the seeding hold, Roger will meet Djokavic in the semis and Murray will face Wawrinka. 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

@bebe777 - oh thanks for the info!  It will be exciting......I didn't watch today...I know that there has been rain delays...

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yay Fed!!! Did anyone notice that both he and Evans were wearing the same Nike shorts Smiley Happy  ??  I hope that Querry comes back for a win against Djokovic tomorrow...wouldn't that be the biggest upset ever???  Oh, and poor Stan....gosh darn it!

Honored Contributor

@MickD wrote:

Yay Fed!!! Did anyone notice that both he and Evans were wearing the same Nick shorts Smiley Happy  ??  I hope that Querry comes back for a win against Djokovic tomorrow...wouldn't that be the biggest upset ever???  Oh, and poor Stan....gosh darn it!

@MickD, I didn't watch the match but from what I remember about Sam Querry he's got a big serve. I think he's also a good doubles player and does the serve and volley thing. 

Querry can be streaky and I think he probably just got hot, while Djokavic just had an off day and plus a case of the nerves. 

I like both players but I'd really like Querry to win just because I like his style of play. Smiley Happy

oh yeah, and then there's the fact that my all time favorite player, Roger Federer, is in Djokavic's half of the draw. Smiley Wink

Del Po just took out Wawrinka which has to me a relief for Murray. -- I'd love to watch a Federer vs. Murray final at Qwimbledon for the third time. Smiley Wink

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

Re: Wimbledon 2016

[ Edited ]

I listed this in a separate thread, but I thought I'd also list it in the Wimbledon thread. Smiley Happy

On Saturday while I was watching tennis later in the day, they kept mentioning that there would be "middle Sunday" tennis for the fourth time ever (because all of the rain delays). 

But it wasn't until late last night that Tennis Channel announced that coverage would begin on ESPN2 at 6:30am. I DVRed the Tennis Channel coverage because I was hoping for an announcement.

It's been confusing because my TV schedule still doesn't show this schedule change... but I'm watching ESPN2 and Wimbledon coverage began a few minutes ago at 6:30am ET. 

Also, from 3-6pm ET this afternoon ABC has Wimbledon coverage scheduled. Generally they just show a wrap up of this past week's coverage, but I don't know if today's tennis action will cause them to modify their plans.

Middle Sunday tennis is great because the Centre Court atmosphere is really lively.

Typically, only 500 tickets are allotted for the two main courts to those who wait in the public queue. All others are distributed through a lottery and to its membership. For this Sunday, 10,000 tickets were sold online for Centre Court, 8000 for Court One, and 4000 for grounds passes. -- lol, the more tickets are available to the general public, as opposed to the extremely stuffy Wimbledon members, the more lively the matches are.

One of the Commentators, Mary Jo Fernandez, just said that they will be looking at 12 matches today: six women's matches and six men's matches.

ESPN2 just listed the matches they will be following below. I'm not home and the TV reception were I am is not great. I've listed the names as best I could but I'm sure their are a lot of spelling errors. -- I just wanted to list them so that everyone would know what's on schedule today.

Enjoy!! 

-- bebe Smiley Happy

Official Wimbledon site

http://www.wimbledon.com/index.html

____

The Centre Court schedule includes:

* (27) C. Vanderweghe vs. (6) R. Vinci

* (1) S. Williams vs. A. Beck

* (24) A. Zverev vs. (10) T. Berdych

The Court One schedule includes: 

* (18) S. Stevphens vs. (13) S. Kuznetsova 

* (15) N. Kyrgios vs. (22) F. Lopez