Honored Contributor

Week Twelve of the NFL Regular Season!!!

Happy Thanksgiving everyone! 

We start out this week with a trio of games on Thanksgiving. Up first are the Eagles at the Lions. God only knows what will happen in this game. Eagle players are starting to take anonymous shots at one another in the press. That's generally a bad thing, but can serve to light a fire under players who are getting roasted. I'm boldly/foolishly picking the Eagles to rally and get a desperately needed win.

Turkey day game two is Carolina at Dallas. Somehow the Panthers are the underdog in this game. I'm picking the Panthers. I'm still not sold on Dallas.

And the Thursday night game is Chicago at Green Bay. I'll take the Packers.

Sunday finds Minnesota going to Atlanta. I'm taking Julio Jones and the Falcons in this one.

Saint Louis goes to Cincy. I'll take the Bengals.

New Orleans goes to Houston. I never said thought I'd say this, but I'm taking Houston.

Tampa Bay goes to Indy. I'm taking the Bucs. They impressed me last week.

San Diego goes to Jacksonville. I guess I'll take the Jags.

Buffalo goes to KC. I'll take KC.

Miami goes to the Jets.I'll take the Jets.

Oakland goes to Tennessee. I'll take the Raiders.

The Giants take on the Redlines. I'll take the Giants, but if Cousins pulls out another big game the Skins could win.

Arizona goes to San Francisco. I'll take the Cards.

Pittsburgh goes to Seattle. I'll take Seattle.

New England goes to Denver. I'm predicting an upset here for the Broncos. I don't know why, but my gut says go for it. (Or is it saying that for Thanksgiving dinner?)

And finally we have Baltimore against Cleveland. I think that tryptophan will really kick in on Monday night with a snoozer of a game. I guess I'll pick Cleveland simply because they're healthier.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Re: Week Twelve of the NFL Regular Season!!!

@gardenman  I couldn't wait to go through your list to get to the Monday night game.  I'm shocked you picked Cleveland to win. I've been a Browns fan for longer than I'd like to admit, but I'm just about to the end of my patience.  They're the worst I've ever seen them, and now they've demoted quarterback Johnny Manziel to third string because he likes to party too much.  I wish I could name all the quarterbacks we've had since 1999, but I'm getting too old and the mind is getting too dense.  Monday could be Baltimore's opportunity to improve their record.......we'll see.  That's if we can stay awake til the end.......Woman Frustrated

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

Cleveland has some of the best fans in football and one of the worst teams. They've spent plenty of picks on the QB spot, but they've never gotten it right. If Bernie Kosar has a kid he might be getting old enough to play for the Browns and that may be their best hope.

Johnny Manziel is one of those guys who just kills you as a fan. The kid has a unique talent. He's got a gift. He's too small, too fragile, but he makes plays. It's the off the field stuff that just kills you though. That kind of a guy will drive a GM insane. Do you give up on his talent and gifts? Do you hope he grows up? Do you just give up and move on? There is no good answer. 

No sooner does the team announce he'll be the starter the rest of the way then he goes out and gets in trouble again.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Well, that was an ugly first half. The good news is we're only down 24-7 and we shouldn't be able to play any worse than we did in the first half.  Of course the Lions get the ball first in the second half so we're likely to be down 31-7 by the time we get the ball back.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I'm watching the Eagles-Lions game . The Lions are getting too wide open; the Eagles defense hasn't had much time to rest in between. There's talk now about Chip Kelly being gone after this season if things don't improve. I don't know how accurate those reports are, but I'm hearing a lot of criticism of Kelly lately.

I'm going to miss the rest of this game and the Dallas game because I have to go to work. I only work a few hours, and will be back in time for the Bears-Packers. I don't mind working, it's time and a half today.

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I don't think Chip will be fired, but I'd be surprised if Billy Davis the defensive coordinator came back. Davis has an impressive background working with some of the best defensive coordinators in the league, but his defenses have never measured up. We've got a number of top defensive players, but you just don't see much from them.

We'll likely add some young offensive linemen, maybe go in a different direction at QB, maybe add another receiver or two, and see what happens.

If Chip is just tired of the nonsense (Philly talk radio and endless negative press coverage) then he could head off for college, but I don't see that happening this year. The press likes to make a lot of the time of possession, but our defense controls that as much as our offense. If the defense forces a three and out, the time of possession evens out.

Just an aside about the negative press. A few years ago, after a big win the press entered the locker room and were so harsh that one of the rookies went up to one of our veteran linebackers and asked, "We did win that game, right?" The vet assured the kid it was a win and said, "Welcome to Negadelphia. That's how the press is here. Just wait til we lose a game if you think they were harsh now." 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Not a great day if you like competitive football. Both of the early games have been blowouts. The Cowboys are likely toast now with Romo going down again. That Redskins/Giants game on Sunday is now looking like a really big game. If Kirk Cousins can have another good game, and that's a big if, the Redskins could become the favorites in the NFC East.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

And the first Johnny Manziel to the Cowboys rumor for this Romo injury has now popped up. It makes a certain amount of sense. Manziel is on the outs in Cleveland. Dallas is still in place to either win the NFC East or get the first overall pick in the draft. (It's a weird year in the NFC East.) Matt Cassel clearly isn't the answer at QB. It's just a shame the trading deadline has passed. The Cowboys now have to hope Celveland releases Manziel and no one else claims him, or they 'll be looking to find a QB in the offseason. (RG III and Manziel both make some sense given their college careers and JJ's thirst for the spotlight. I wouldn't recommend picking up both though.)

The Cowboys were playing a high stakes game of poker rushing their star players back from injury. It looks like they won with Dez Bryant as he hasn't apparently reinjured his foot, but they lost big time with Romo. Players always want to play, usually before they should be playing, and it's up to team management to make the tough call. The Cowboys listen to the player instead of the docs and that's a bad idea. Jason Garrett was quoted after the game as saying if Romo wants to play next week he'll let him play. Not a smart move when your quarterback is walking around in a sling and saying it feels just like it did when he broke it earlier this season.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

Jerry Jones has reported that Romo has a hairline fracture and will be out for the season.  Was afraid the break could be worse, but also figured he would be out the rest of the year.  Certainly hope they don't try to get Manziel.  We may not win another game all year as we didn't win any with the other 2 backups.  Oh well, maybe we can get a high draft pick.  For a season that started out with such high hopes (Super Bowl anyone?)  it's all come crashing down.  That's what injuries can do to a team.  Good luck to everyone else's team. 

Trusted Contributor

Hi everyone. Hope you all had a nice Thanksgiving.  I sure did.....even though.  ((Sigh))

I wasn't able to watch the Cowboy game, although of course I was copying it, and then of course deleted without watching.

Enjoy the games tomorrow everyone.  Was hoping the Texan game would be televised locally, but it's not.  GO TEXANS