Honored Contributor

Week Seventeen of the NFL Regular Season!!!

And this is the end of the regular season! This is one of the harder weeks to make picks as many teams will have given up the ghost and have their bags packed and be ready to take off on vacation now that the season is winding down. Three teams have no real head coach and a few other teams know their head coach is likely a goner. We have only Sunday games this week.

We start out this week with Baltimore at Cincinnati. I'll give Baltimore a slight edge. Marvin Lewis just might be out in Cincy. We could see some interesting stuff happen in Cincy this off season. AJ McCarron, their backup QB is rumored to be a hot prospect for teams looking for a QB. Do the Bengals keep him and trade Andy Dalton, or stick with Dalton? Cincy has some good players, but the team hasn't played well this year. It could be an interesting off season for them. 

Jacksonville goes to Indy. I'll take Indy in this one. The Colts made some progress this year, but that AFC South is getting better faster than the Colts are. Mariota and the Titans are getting very good. If the Jags can sort out Bortles or find a better replacement, they could become very good quickly. The Texans are winning despite no real quarterback. A problem they may solve this off season.

New England goes to Miami. I'll take New England. They're just the better team right now.

Chicago goes to Minnesota. I think Minnesota will win this one, but I'll be pulling for Chicago as we (the Eagles) get the Vikings first round pick and if things break just right that could be as high as ninth.

Buffalo goes to the Jets. Ugh! The Bills are without a head coach or defensive coordinator now, so I gues I'll take the Jets. The players are complaining that Rex's scheme was too complicated. In reality they weren't the right players for his scheme. A complicated defense can excel in the NFL given the right personnel.

Dallas comes to Philly. I'm taking the Eagles in this one. Doug Pederson has largely taken the reins off of Carson Wentz now and we're seeing more of the mad scrambling, bombs away guy. This is a game the Eagles will want and I'm not so sure the Cowboys will be up for the game coming off a Monday night game. The Eagles last played last Thursday, so they've got four days more rest and preparation than the Cowboys. We've now got three runningbacks on injured reserve in the last two to three weeks, so It's all Carson Wentz all the time.

Cleveland goes to Pittsburgh. I'll take Pittsburgh.

Carolina goes to Tampa Bay. I'll take Tampa. There are lots of rumors that Carolina could end up trading their head coach (Ron Rivera) to the Rams, or firing him. The Panthers were the big surprise in a bad way in the league this year.

Houston goes to Tennessee. If Mariota was playing,I'd give the edge to Tennesee. With him out, I'll give the edge to Houston.

New Orleans goes to Altanta. I've got to think the Saints will rebuild after this season. We could see a new head coach and quarterback both in New Orleans next year. I'll take Atlanta in this one. (Drew Brees could end up in Houston. That would improve them immensely.)

Oakland goes to Denver. I'll take Denver. Oakland will be looking at this game as a way to get Matt McGloin some game action before the playoffs, while praying he doesn't get hurt. The Oakland staff will be sweating bullets each time he drops back to pass. They have some chance at being successful in the playoffs if he plays well, but if he gets dinged up badly, they could be in big trouble.

The Cardinals go to the Rams. I guess I'll go with the Cardinals. Larry FItzgerald may be playing in his last game and I suspect his teammates want him to go out with a win. Arizona may have gone past their expiration date as a playoff caliber team

KC goes to San Diego. I'll take the Chiefs. Andy's got them on a roll.

Seattle goes to San Francisco. This one could get ugly. I'll take the Seahawks big.

The Giants go to the Redskins. I'll take the Redskins in this one. It should be a war though. Neither the Cowboys nor the Giants want Washington in the playoffs, but a win by Washington pretty much locks them in. I'd like to see Washinginton in the playoffs just to watch the contract chaos it causes Washington with Kirk Cousins. Let him get the Redskins to the NFC conference title game or the Super Bowl and his agent will be drooling at the prospect of a thirty plus million dollar a year contract.

And finally we have Green Bay at Detroit in a fight for that last playoff spot and also the NFC North title. Win and you're in, lose and you're out. It's hard to pick against Green Bay given Aaron Rodgers and I'm not. I expect Green Bay to eke out the win in a close, hard fought game.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Week Seventeen of the NFL Regular Season!!!

The Cowboys are activating Mark Sanchez as backup quarterback Sunday. Prescott probably will start, but might not play the whole game. In that case, Sanchez would play instead of Romo. That would give the Eagles an advantage.

Pittsburgh plans on resting their three B's (Ben, Brown and Bell). The backups are just as good, though, so I think they will beat Cleveland.

I wonder where Rex Ryan will land next. I expect to see him with another team this coming year.

I hope Washington makes the playoffs. That will make things interesting when it comes to contract time.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Respected Contributor

Bal over Cin                                      Bengals underachieve once again

Ind over Jax                                     Jax was over rated pre season

NE over Mia                                     Brady

MN over Chi                                     Cutler is already on vacay

Buf over NYJ                                    I need Shady for my ff Superbowl!

Phi over Dal                                     Cowboys have no reason to win this game

Pit over Cle                                      Glad Browns won a game

TB over Car                                      Bucs are hot

Hou over TN                                     Agree @gardenman

Atl over NO                                       Matty Ice

Den over Oak                                   Home field

AZ over LA                                        Win for Fitzgerald

KC over SD                                      Andy Reid (have I said that before??LOL)

Sea over SF                                     49ers are a bad team

NYG over Was                                 Wash loss puts Lions in playoffs

Det over GB                                     If Wash loses early, this game is for division only

would be nice to host a game in playoff

If Wash wins, the loser will be out

Good Luck to all teams this week

Thanks again for hosting a great NFL thread, @gardenman

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

The Ryans (Rex and Rob) are in an interesting spot. Their style of defense relies on intelligent defensive players. Those players have to make adjustments almost instantly and that can cause chaos if the players aren't up to the challenge.

By and large, teams in the league are going more and more to a simple defense that can be played fast. The old 4-6 defense favored by the Ryans is anything but simple. It's that complexity that made it so effective.

Teams like the Eagles, Cowboys and others, have largely reverted to a less complicated, play fast and hard style of defense. They aren't trying to fool the offense as much as they're trying to avoid making the big mistake. They're hoping the offense will make the big mistake and not them.

Take your four defensive linemen and have them charge straight at the quarterback as fast as they can. Get pressure on him and force him into throwing the ball before he wants to. Then have you linebackers and safeties filling any gaps and hope they can make the play. Offensive coordinators have now countered that with the short accurate passing game, so you're starting to see the defensive coordinators drop a lineman out into a zone coverage to try and limit that option.

If it wasn't for the personality clash, I could see the Ryans coaching with Bll Belichick in New England. He values intelligent defenders and runs a complicated defense so it wouldn't be a huge adjustment. Rob and Rex though are about as far from Bill in personality as it's possible for humans to be.

I'm just not sure right now that any team in the league would hire the Ryans. Their combination of personality and the players they need for their system to be effective limits their ability to get hired.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hello NFL fans....and a HAPPY NEW YEAR to all!!! 

happy new year party emoticon

as @gardenman said, this is a difficult week to analyze because you don't know which teams, coaches, and/or players are "phoning it in" and which ones are auditioning for new coaches or contracts or teams....but here goes:

Ravens vs Bengals---Steve Smith Sr announced that this may be his last game and may retire.....I think the Ravens would like to give him a good send off with a victory....The Bengal's future is up in the air---will Marvin Lewis be fired???  Will changes be made at key positions???? The Bengals haven't played consistently---going with THE RAVENS!

Jaguars vs Colts---Coaching staff changes on their way for Jags...and just looking at the QB position alone---COLTS!

Patriots vs Dolphins---The Patriots are playing for home field advantage throughout the entire AFC playoffs....The Dolphins could move to #5 seed with a win, which means they would play the Texans instead of the Steelers.(but the Chiefs would also have to lose in order for this to happen too)........The Dolphins are playing with backup Matt Moore, due to injury....Im going with THE PATRIOTS!

Bears vs Vikings--an NFC Norse Division rival game.....the bad news bears got plummeled by my Redskins....the Vikings may play for their coach who was left with egg on his face last week when the players decided to go rogue for a few plays instead of sticking with the game plan even though they are said to love their coach....Im going VIKINGS!

Bills vs Jets---I guess Santa left coal in the stockings of fans of both teams....Rex has been let go ...... the interim coach left behind is well respected by the players...the Jets are an ABSOLUTE mess and who will play QB....going with THE BILLLS! 

Cowboys vs Eagles---will weather be a factor....will the Cowboys even care since they've wrapped up everything for the NFC playoffs, will they be concerned about injuries and rest starters.....Jason Garrett says NO, but in reality you never know what actual game time will bring....The Eagles will be playing loose and a victory over a rival will give them  a good feeling heading into the off season......Im going EAGLES here!

Browns vs Steelers---Browns won their first game last week and I hope they enjoyed it because I see little chance for them in this game....the Browns defense is awful, particularly their secondary, and the Steelers have a lot of weapons on offense to exploit this.....STEELERS!

Panthers vs Bucs----Bucs only have a mathematical chance of making the playoffs but I think they will play hard and want something to build upon as a team to contend with in their Division....The Panthers seemed to have already phoned it in last week ......I'm going BUCS here!

Texans vs Titans---Poor Titans they were playing well but the injury to their QB burst their bubble and chances......The Texans seemed to have found their QB in Tom Savage (great name for a QB)...at least temporarily and without Mariota have to go TEXANS!

Saints vs Falcons---another disappointing year for the Saints....which proves you need more than just a QB to win in the NFL...I think the Falcons are fine tuning for their playoff run so I'm taking THE FALCONS for the win!!!

Raiders vs Broncos---Even on defense the Broncos look like a shadow of their Super Bowl winning self.....The Raiders were dealt a severe blow when Carr went down....but I think the Raiders will rally around their backup QB and they appear to be the better team on offense--going with THE RAIDERS!

Cardinals vs Rams---will anyone in LA even show up to watch this game??????????  The Rams are in tourmoil and have a lot of question marks from coaching staff to whether their rookie QB can be developed into a decent starter or to whether to start over....The Cardinals have been a disappointment but have more talent than the Rams---The Cards may make a change at QB and the great and shoe in as a future HOF Larry Fitzgerald may hang up his cleats---win one for the Larry will be their cry---CARDINALS!

Chiefs vs Chargers---Well the Chargers got embarrassed by getting beat by the Browns, and they go up a formidable opponent that seems to be playing well heading into the playoffs---CHIEFS

Seahawks vs 49ers---Will the 49eers Colin K be auditioning for another team? Who cares...doesn't matter....SEAHAWKS!!!

Giants vs Redskins---THE BIG GAME---flexed to late afternoon and a lot riding on the line!!!  The Giants have been exposed for who they are --- not a great o line, have problems scoring, and Eli has been off the mark on occasion....their defense has kept them in the playoff race....Meanwhile this is a MUST WIN for the Redskins who played well last week but that was against the Bears weak defense.....Play calling will be a key and the Redskins will need to find a way to get the ball to Garcon and DeJack ....Reed is supposed to play but hasnt been a factor since he's been banged up.....and the Redskin's D-----particularly the secondary--not much to say here-just the Redskin's offense will be on notice ---all up to the offense to maintain time of possession and score early and often!!!  I'm going with my REDSKINS for this one (my sis won't be happy)....HTTR!!!  Woman Very Happy

Packers vs Lions---Not only a rival game, but one for all the marbles, the loser gets to sit home and watch the playoffs....should be a great game...The Packers D has picked up the pace in recent weeks....and Rodgers is back to his old self.....You can't count Stafford out, but other Lions need to step up and help him .....I think the Packers will take this game....

Good Luck Everyone!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@gardenman

Rex had said that the Bills were his last coaching job.....I think he will hang it up and all the sports networks will be fighting over him wanting him to join their network for some entertaining commentary......

Some mentioned him joining Jim Harbaugh in the college ranks, but I don't se Rex having to recruit prospects plus dealing with the academic side of it all....his rah rah style does seem to fit the college gaame vs the NFL....but not going to happen!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt Yeah, I don't see either of the Ryan's coaching at the college level. They're most likely headed for the broadcast booth or a TV studio someplace.

I don't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but DeSean Jackson seems rather intent on returning to the Eagles. He's reportedly told a few of his former Eagles teammates that he's coming back to Philly after this season. It sounds like the Redskins will have to tag him if they want to keep him. He's apparently very fond of Doug Pederson and likes what he's seen of Carson Wentz, and is planning to return to Philly. I suspect his agent is pulling his hair out over that, but DeSean seems determined to end his career in Philly. We'll have to see what happens there, but that's where things stand. Apparently when Doug was announced as the head coach Desean called some current players and told them to try and get Doug to come down and get him. I get the impression he's not especially happy in DC.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt Yeah, I don't see either of the Ryan's coaching at the college level. They're most likely headed for the broadcast booth or a TV studio someplace.

I don't remember if I mentioned it here or not, but DeSean Jackson seems rather intent on returning to the Eagles. He's reportedly told a few of his former Eagles teammates that he's coming back to Philly after this season. It sounds like the Redskins will have to tag him if they want to keep him. He's apparently very fond of Doug Pederson and likes what he's seen of Carson Wentz, and is planning to return to Philly. I suspect his agent is pulling his hair out over that, but DeSean seems determined to end his career in Philly. We'll have to see what happens there, but that's where things stand. Apparently when Doug was announced as the head coach Desean called some current players and told them to try and get Doug to come down and get him. I get the impression he's not especially happy in DC.

@gardenman

I think you are right....I don't think he's especially happy with the Redskins....Kirk's go to guys seem to be Garcon, Crowder, Davis, and when healthy Reed....DeJack has been more of an afterthought...De Jack has behaved himself and has certainly contributed to key plays in the Redskin's wins, .....but for some reason he hasn't seemed to endeared himself to either his teammates or fans.....When Pierre Garcon was trying to save a Boys & Girls Club---ALL of his teammates (and he said this was in preseason and all 90 pitched in to help with his charity)....so that says a lot about the feelings the team has for Garcon .....and same with his Haiti charity and the way the team rallied aorund him...Garcon was in studio of the NFL Network a few days ago and he said he wants to return to the Redskins (now whether they can make the numbers work is another thing).... With the Redskins paying Capt Kirk the team now has only room for one veteran WR and have promising atheltic Doctson on the roster....along with Crowder and other youngsters..I think the Redskins have already have come to the conclusion that DeJack will be the one to let go of....And when aske about returning to the Eagles DeJack has said its a business and you never know what will happen....leaving the door open....but who knows maybe another team will offer more money than the Eagles.....

Honored Contributor

@Spurt. I suspect other team's will offer more money, but I'm not sure the money will matter all that much based on what I'm hearing locally. DeSean seems determined to play in Philly next year. He still has a lot of friends on the team.

LeSean McCoy may also try to find a way back with the changes going on in Buffalo. Both of those guys chat with current Eagles on a routine basis and seem to want to come back.

It could be an interesting off season. I suspect the Bills might be willing to part with McCoy for a late round pick given his big contract. I'm not sure the Eagles have the cap room for him though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Pierre Garcon was always involved in different charities when he was with the Colts, and he got along with the other players. I think that he would have done well with Andrew Luck, but, as the saying goes, Washington gave him an offer he couldn't refuse. 

I thought that DeSean Jackson didn't get along with his teammates in Philadelphia. Wasn't there some dissension in the locker room? Or maybe he just ddin't like the way Chip Kelly ran things.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain