Honored Contributor

THE HALL OF FAME OR IS IT HALL OF SHAME????

[ Edited ]

Very Very Very disappointed in some of the Hall Of Fame Selections......

I mean really one of the architects of the modern game Don Coryell gets snubbed again!!! Yet Edward DeBartolo Jr gets in despite allegations of his assualt of a waitress (he was never charged but paid her $200,000--maybe he's just a generous tipper--SARCASM).....And then was involved in a corruption  case involving extoration and had to either voluntarily or perhaps forced by the NFL to turn the franchise over to his sister.....yet they put this guy in the Hall Of Fame while snubbing other more WORTHY opponents!!!  Character should count for the NFL's Hall where is  "protecting the shield" when it really should matter....Woman Frustrated

And there wouldn't be an Orlando Pace if it weren't for the emphasis on the O Line and the Hogs---Joe Jacoby deserves to be alongside Russ Grimm!!!!  Woman Mad  Well at least we DID get a guard with  Stanfel who played long before my time with the Lions and Redskins....but I think he's going in as a Lion.

And there should be a SEPARATION between PLAYERS inducted and Coaches & Front Office people......

At least they picked the QUIET Colt Marvin Harrison (very Art Monklike in his career) instead of loud mouth and show boat T.O.!!! 

Perhaps Kenny Stabler's recent passing and CTE findings made him leap frog over others with more Super Bowl appearances and better stats and Pro-Bowl appearances....But I admit I enjoyed watching "The Snake" and those fun and interesting Raider teams full of characters led by the one and only John Madden!!! Woman Very Happy

I really think they should include former players and coaches on the Selection Committee....

Any other thoughts on this--

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: THE HALL OF FAME OR IS IT HALL OF SHAME????

Unfortunately good sportsmanship has been trumped by greed/money.  I find it disgusting what some of these players get away with.... and yet they get a slap on the wrist and go on as if nothing has happened, influencing our young who look up to them. One lady (after being beat up and dragged out of an elevator) even married the one that did that to her!  Hall of Shame is a good title.  But Jailbird would be a better one....

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

I'm not famliar with Edward De Bartolo. I've heard of him, but don't recall that scandal involving him.

I'm happy for Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy. It's about time Harrison got it; should have been voted in the first time. I'd say the same thing even if I weren't a Colts fan because Harrison was just incredible to watch. I loved watching him and Manning connect. I'm surprised Dungy made it right away, but he did have an outstanding career in the NFL.

BYW, I think that Harrison was involved in a crime, but not convicted of anything. I don't know details,so I can't really judge. Maybe scandals are overlooked depending on the situations..

Favre being in was just a no-brainer. Of course, that was expected.

Maybe Terrell Owens will get in next year. For some reason, the committee only votes in one wide receiver at a time. No idea why.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I'm not famliar with Edward De Bartolo. I've heard of him, but don't recall that scandal involving him.

I'm happy for Marvin Harrison and Tony Dungy. It's about time Harrison got it; should have been voted in the first time. I'd say the same thing even if I weren't a Colts fan because Harrison was just incredible to watch. I loved watching him and Manning connect. I'm surprised Dungy made it right away, but he did have an outstanding career in the NFL.

BYW, I think that Harrison was involved in a crime, but not convicted of anything. I don't know details,so I can't really judge. Maybe scandals are overlooked depending on the situations..

Favre being in was just a no-brainer. Of course, that was expected.

Maybe Terrell Owens will get in next year. For some reason, the committee only votes in one wide receiver at a time. No idea why.

@teganslaw  I thought Favre deserved it.....he seemed to have a special joy in playing the game and interacting with his teammates......and he brought a lot of wins to the Packers too.....

There is always a backlog of WRs....it took my Art Monk EIGHT years to get into the Hall (people blamed it on the fact he was always so quiet and didnt draw attention to himself instead of being the more flamboyant type)...... 

I hadn't heard about Marvin being involved in an incident!!!  I don't think the committee even considers the outside stuff....look at Lawrence Taylor for one!!! 

Look up Eddie DeBartolo Jr. on google and read all about his incidents.....and there was his rumored connection with rackateers.....

When Dungy was with the Steelers as an assistant coach I wondered why no team gave him a chance to be a head coach.....finally he got the opportunity and look what happened, perhaps they thought his personality was not flamboyant enough....but sometimes flamboyant doesnt lead to success!!!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Marvin Harrison was involved in a murder case in Philly. Marvin owned a club in Philly and got into a fight with a local drug dealer at the club. They took the fight outside and shots were fired hitting the drug dealer in the hand. A bit later that same drug dealer got shot and ultimately died while leaving a take out restaurant. The police asked him before he died who'd shot him and he said something like, "The same guy who shot me the last time, Marvin Harrison." Harrison was later arrested for possession of firearms after he was stopped driving the wrong way down a one way street. Marvin's a Philly guy and only shot a drug dealer, so I guess he was given a bit of a pass.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Q4u wrote:

Unfortunately good sportsmanship has been trumped by greed/money.  I find it disgusting what some of these players get away with.... and yet they get a slap on the wrist and go on as if nothing has happened, influencing our young who look up to them. One lady (after being beat up and dragged out of an elevator) even married the one that did that to her!  Hall of Shame is a good title.  But Jailbird would be a better one....

@Q4u  Sadly Q4U the media doesn't like to report on the GOOD GUYS in sports so they don't get much attention on any of the news channels including social media.  There are a lot of good people who are good family men, do a lot of charity work too that get no publicity, and the ones that get into trouble grab the headlines without any or little punishment ......(Johnny Manziel for one, where the police seemed to look the other way).....But remember sports is just a reflection of society as a whole and sadly many people with connections and money get away with things too, does the name Affluzena Kid ring a bell......It's sad that all the good guys in sports don't get much attention!

Here's an article you might find interesting...But I DO think character should matter when it comes to a Sports Hall Of Fame!

http://brobible.com/sports/article/athlete-arrests-study-frequency-nba-nfl-nhl-mlb/

If you’ve ever wondered how often pro (NBA, NFL, MLB, NHL) athletes and NCAA athletes actually get arrested then you can stop wondering, because we’ve got those numbers. A lot of you might be quite shocked by these numbers, because we tend to associate pro athletes with reckless abandon. We do that because news outlets like ESPN sensationalize every single arrest by a professional athlete, and give those arrests 24/7/365 coverage when it behooves their ratings.

When we might see hours upon hours of ESPN’s airtime devoted to an athlete’s arrest our mind’s begin to associate athletes with getting arrested much more frequently than the general population, but this is not true. In fact, NFL athletes actually get arrested less often than the general population

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Marvin Harrison was involved in a murder case in Philly. Marvin owned a club in Philly and got into a fight with a local drug dealer at the club. They took the fight outside and shots were fired hitting the drug dealer in the hand. A bit later that same drug dealer got shot and ultimately died while leaving a take out restaurant. The police asked him before he died who'd shot him and he said something like, "The same guy who shot me the last time, Marvin Harrison." Harrison was later arrested for possession of firearms after he was stopped driving the wrong way down a one way street. Marvin's a Philly guy and only shot a drug dealer, so I guess he was given a bit of a pass.

@gardenman  Thanks for sharing......I guess I missed that story.....I think your right....the Philly police probably thought....oh he took care of that drug dealer for us......