Honored Contributor

I recently had a conversation with my sister about my niece's participation in sports.  Samantha is very tall and athletic, and, off the top my head, my guess is she'd most likely qualify for a college basketball scholarship.  JMO

I was surprised to learn that Sam is playing lacrosse! Is this a popular school sport these days?   Is it played in colleges?  

I'd love some feedback from people more knowledgeable than I ......  TIA!!

Honored Contributor

lacrosse is VERY BIG in the maryland area and in parts of the east coast and south. they give out great scholarships to both men and women to play for college teams. kids start learning at an early age here in tyke leagues. it is a tough sport with a lot of action....you definitely have to be fit.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

I guess I always thought of Lacrosse as an ivy league school type of sport that the "swells" played.........I've never even seen a match (is it called  match, game, or??)

Contributor

I want to add that it is big in the Detroit and Chicago areas as well.  My nephew used to play it in High School in the Detroit suburbs, and while he was not recruited for the University of Michigan LAX team, he had thought about doing a "walk on" try out.  My neice is 12 and is on a LAX team in the north Chicago suburbs.  She also plays soccer.

Honored Contributor

My 22 year old nephew played during his high school years. This was on Long Island.

Honored Contributor

Re: POPULARITY OF LACROSSE?

[ Edited ]

Lots of sports are regional.

Football was never a huge deal in my school and it was the water polo players who were the kings.

We had two swimming pools, including an Olympic-sized pool. (Now there's just one pool, the large one.) The water polo coach was the assistant coach to the US Olympics water polo team. My gosh, that man's thighs were enormous. The water polo players were the ones who went to college on athletics scholarships. 

That was in a very wealthy district in northern California.

Lots of schools have field hockey teams for women, but that was something I only read about in books. We didn't have any field hockey teams in my area.

Respected Contributor

I live in the country. Sort of between Dayon & Cincinnat, OH. Lacrosse is getting to be very popular here, too. My SIL played on a club team in college, but a lot of the high schools have teams, too.

Respected Contributor

My dad played lacrosse in school, but he went to private boarding school. It was unheard of back when I was in school in the 80's. My daughter's school just added a female lacrosse team this year.  

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Super Contributor

Re: POPULARITY OF LACROSSE?

[ Edited ]

Lacrosse has become very popular in the past decade or so. It's a very fast paced game. My nephew has been playing professionally for several years now. 

Honored Contributor

When I was in college in Philly, we HAD to take a term of it for physEd.  I hated it more than anything I ever played.  Words cannot convey how much I disliked lacrosse.😠

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment