Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2017!!!

I suspect the Niners know that the Redskins want that second overall pick and they think the price is too high. (I agree.) Signing Hoyer gives the Niners some wriggle room and puts more pressure on the Redskins to move Cousins for a lower price. With Cousins talking about sitting out the entire preseason and there are lots of reports that the relationship is irreparably broken, the Redskins are in a bit of a bind. If they hold onto Cousins and he sits out the entire preseason then becomes a free agent next year, all they'll get is a compensatory third round pick and comp picks are typically at the end of the round. The Niners will likely wait until the draft and then offer up this year's second or third round pick for Cousins. It'll likely be a take it or leave it offer and the Redskins may have no choice but to take it.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

As Jack Kent Cooke would say, "BY GAWD . . .".  Jeez.

Don and Mike had the funniest bit about how cheap he was, making the housekeeper use newspaper (actually strangely more effective) rather than paper towels, to clean windows.

We just want some decent consistent football.  The more games, the less likely the team is to be productive.  Next thing you know they'll try and sign Cam (kidding).

@Sweetbay magnolia

Gee remember when the Redskins were a functional team under Joe Gibbs and Bobby Bethard……and the only team gossip involved Jack Kent Cooke and his succession of younger wives….Oh for the good ole days….SIGH!

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Okay here's the ultimate insider news showing that Cousins WILL be re-signing....Woman WinkWoman WinkWoman WinkWoman LOL

Ryan Kerrigan and his 2 bulldogs, Franklin and George will be participating in the Fashion For Paws 11th  Annual Runway Show---fund raiser for the Humane Society.....now get this......KIRK AND JULIE COUSINS ARE HONORARY CO-CHAIRS to the event to be held April 8th.......So if the Cousin's are co-chairs got to mean Kirk is re-signing with the Redskins and they are staying in DC Smiley Wink .quick--someone get this news to Ian Rapport..(just kidding).....Woman LOLWoman LOL

17022001_10158276388350405_5701918766441303121_n.jpg

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Well, the wide receiver portion of free agency seems to be sorting itself out fairly quickly. Brandon Marshall went from the Jets to the Giants. Kenny Stills is resigning with the Dolphins. Kenny Britt may (or may not) be signing with the Eagles. (He's telling people he is, but his agent says he isn't, so who knows?) DeSean Jackson seems to be signing with Tampa. Alshon Jeffery's name is being largely ignored so far. I haven't heard any new rumors about where he's going. (I still like the idea of Greeen Bay bringing him in, but Green Bay generally doesn't splurge in free agency.) He could end up back in Chicago. The Cowboys are said to be nosing around for a wide receiver to put up opposite Dez Bryant.

The Jaguars look poised to win free agency again this year with Calais Campbell, Barry Church,  and more guys signing there. Winning free agency and the draft didn't help them any last year, but who knows what it'll mean this year? At some point and time all of that talent has to add up to something.

Who knew that Brian Hoyer would be the first free agent QB to sign? He's shown flashes of good play, but his career isn't great. I figured someone would be intrigued by Kaepernick and try to sign him quickly, but no. To no one's surprise the Cowboys are looking long and hard at McCown who they've tried to get for the last two years.

In a quirky move, Buffalo (Whatever happened to Sheltie Mom?) signed two free agent fullbacks. That could be an interesting offense to watch. You don't find too many two fullback offenses. In theory Tolbert is their blocking back/bulldozer while DiMarco will be their H-Back receiving back, If they hold true to that formula however you might as well call out the plays to the defense. When you have players you only use (or predominantly use) for certain plays, you're largely telegraphing what your play call is. It kind of takes away that element of surprise. If Tolbert's on the field, you'll expect run and will likely be right. If DiMarco is on the field, you'll expect pass and likely be right.

Today will be a very, very busy day around the old NFL as free agency officially begins. Expect a few trades to go down as teams look to shed salaries. A few more players will get released. A whole lot of players will get signed and the media will have a lot of fun. I suspect that everyone will ultimately agree that the Jags won free agency for the second year in a row. We'll have to see if that translates into wins for them.

In Philly the meida will bemoan the free agents signings or lack thereof and just know they could have done better if only they'd been the GM. I'll have the NFL Network on most of the day to keep up with everything.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Dwayne Allen was traded to the Patriots; in return, the Colts get a 4th round draft pick, the Patriots getting a 6th. I have a feeling that Allen, who didn't really fit with the Colts, will do well in NE. Things just seem to work out like that.

I want Donteri Poe to go the Colts!  I can see why several teams are interested; he will add a lot to the team in which he ends up.

Why is no one interested in Kaepernick? Wondering if it has anything to do with the Anthem controversy. Or maybe he isn't that good......

It will be strange seeing Romo with another team. I can't imagine him in another uniform.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

I think Kaepernick's big issue is his injury history. He's been hurt a lot and it's been a while since he looked good. Four years ago he'd have had teams stampeding to sign him. He had three surgeries last off season alone and didn't look 'right.' Until he looks 'right' again, he'll be a hard sell to GM's.

The Patriots are really serious about getting better. They're now signing Stephon Gilmore, the Bill's corner for $14+ million a year. It's getting hard to find a way to beat the Patriots right now. They've now got two lockdown corners, so attacking them through the air gets challenging. I'm guessing Belichick wasn't happy with how the Falcons scored on them in the first half of the Super Bowl.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

Dwayne Allen was traded to the Patriots; in return, the Colts get a 4th round draft pick, the Patriots getting a 6th. I have a feeling that Allen, who didn't really fit with the Colts, will do well in NE. Things just seem to work out like that.

I want Donteri Poe to go the Colts!  I can see why several teams are interested; he will add a lot to the team in which he ends up.

Why is no one interested in Kaepernick? Wondering if it has anything to do with the Anthem controversy. Or maybe he isn't that good......

It will be strange seeing Romo with another team. I can't imagine him in another uniform.

@teganslaw

Thanks for the explanation on Allen ......  I wondered why the Colts would trade him to a rival.......

I think my Redskins are in the Poe sweepskates......and I guess Allen is the one in charge now....SHEESH!!! 

There are still questions on Colin K in addition to his anthem thing is he just an option QB or can he improve his play in the pocket.....I heard Adam Schefter say he thinks there are other QB's rated above him, once they are signed it will be like dominoes and he will get some interest.......

@The strangest (and most awful) change in uniform was me seeing one of my fav all time Redskins, Art Monk, in an Eagles uniform (no disrespect to @gardenman)......but to a rival----ARRRGGHHH!!!

Buckle your seat belts should be an interesting day!!!!  .

Honored Contributor

The latest report now has Kenny Britt signing with the Browns instead of the Eagles for four years at $32 million plus. All the veteran wide receivers seem to have pulled down the market value of receivers to the $8-$12 million a year range from the $15-$17 million many were anticipating. Interesting.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Well, that's interesting. Remember about an hour ago when I was talking about the Patriots having two lockdown cornerbacks? I may have been a bit premature on that. It now turns out they may be trading Malcolm Butler to the Saints to get Brandin Cooks.

The Eagles are rumored to be offering linebacker Mychal Kendricks and a draft pick for Cooks. I'm not sure I'd trade for a corner with this draft class coming up, but Butler is a sure thing corner.

The Eagles cut Connor Barwin. He's a good player who was just a bad fit in the Eagles 4-3 defense. He's more of an outside linebacker than a defensive end. That frees up $7.75 million in cap space though.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Torrey Smith is now an Eagle signing a three year $15 million deal. Rumor has the Eagles, Colts and Bears all fighting for Alshon Jeffery. (Hint: Torrey Smith's agent also represents Terrelle Pryor, so if the Eagles lose Jeffery we could see Pryor replacing him in Philly.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!