Esteemed Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for March 2017!!!

SPURT, I wondered where you were. Good to see you posting. Maybe McCloughan and Grigson can get together and compare their teams and how dysfunctional the teams have been. Woman LOL

The investigation into Elliott has been going on for a long time; shouldn't they have found something by now? He probably won't get into much trouble; the Cowboys will  most likely do almost anything to protect Elliott since he's a top player.

The Colts have signed more defensive players. I don't know all of them.but it sounds like Ballard is doing what he said he'd do: to focus on building protection around Luck. Hoping this all works out.

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Honored Contributor

Stella turned into almost an all rain event here. We have maybe an inch of slushy stuff and that's all. they were predicting a foot or more of snow, but the rain/snow line moved farther west and we got nearly all rain.

The Redskins will be an interesting team to watch this year. I haven't been all that impressed by their free agency, but the draft is still coming up. I'm pretty sure everyone who played a role in the Cousins debacle will get fired by this time next year. That's cost them a lot of money and likely Cousins by this time next year. Those are the kinds of mistakes you just can't make. Overpaying a QB isn't bad if it keeps his loyalty. If they'd overpaid him a couple of years ago, they'd be far ahead of where they are now and he'd likely be very loyal.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Eddie Lacy is now a Seahawk replacing Marshawn Lynch. That should help out the Seahawks a bit. Seattle should win the NFC West this year. San Francisco and Los Angeles will both be better, but they're not playoff caliber teams yet. Arizona could be a threat, but they flopped badly last year from day one and never got their footing. Was that just one bad year, or has their window closed? We'll find out pretty early on. They played miserably in the preseason last year and that carried right into the regular season. That first preseason game will tell us if Bruce Arians has this thing turned around.

The Ezekiel Elliott investigation keeps getting almost wrapped up, only to have something new pop up. He's not helping himself a lot. Visiting the shop that sells marijuana while the team was in Seattle, and now this latest move of exposing a woman involuntarily, is really pushing his luck. After the Ray Rice debacle, the league is being extra cautious and Ezekiel is making it nearly impossible for them to close the books on the investigation. The kid's a heck of a running back, but he's got to start thinking a bit more or he's going to be watching more football than he plays.

I'm now to the point where I'd be surprised if he didn't get a suspension. I believe the first domestic violence suspension is a mandatory eight game suspension, and a second suspension is a lifetime ban, so he's really playing with fire. Legally, what he did by exposing the woman involuntarily is sexual assault. With her not filing a complaint and apparently being okay with everything he's likely to skirt legal trouble, but the league is likely not happy about it.

I suspect they may opt for something like a two to four game suspension for conduct unbecoming to the league, or something of that nature, for the visit to the marijuana shop and the more recent exposure issue. That would keep him out of the domestic violence channel and lessen the risk of him getting a lifetime ban for another incident while still getting his attention. If his latest actions have them leaning more to the "she said" side in the first domestic assault case, he could see an eight game suspension and be just one more incident from a lifetime ban.

Players are always targets for troublemakers and he's making it very easy for the troublemakers to come after him. Had that woman at the parade opted to play hardball with him and charge him with assault, he could be in big trouble. He's got to grow up, wise up, and start thinking a whole lot more than he is, or he may be relegated to playing in Canada instead of Dallas.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Enjoyed the combine.  Excited to see some of these young guys in the NFL.  How cool is it to have another WATT join the league?  The draft should be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

Trusted Contributor

Elliott sounds like another Johnny Manziel in the making.  Only thing I want to hear out of his mouth is a heartfelt apology, and even then he should be suspended for a few games.

Also give him a few sharp kicks in the behind with some pointy toe cowboy boots. I volunteer for that duty. 

Going to miss seeing DeMarcus Ware on the field.  He'll always be a Cowboy to me.

Glad to hear Stella wasn't too rough on you gardenman.  Hope everyone else that was in  her path is OK.

Honored Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

SPURT, I wondered where you were. Good to see you posting. Maybe McCloughan and Grigson can get together and compare their teams and how dysfunctional the teams have been. Woman LOL

The investigation into Elliott has been going on for a long time; shouldn't they have found something by now? He probably won't get into much trouble; the Cowboys will  most likely do almost anything to protect Elliott since he's a top player.

The Colts have signed more defensive players. I don't know all of them.but it sounds like Ballard is doing what he said he'd do: to focus on building protection around Luck. Hoping this all works out.

@teganslaw

Hi TEGAN.......  Gee would be so nice to have a "normal" NFL team---LOL.....at least my NBA Spurs are one big happy family......

Yes it is strange that the Elliott investigation keeps going.....One of our local newscasters here in Cowboy country said the thing might not be settled until the end of the 2017 NFL season....  It seems there was contradictory testimony and evidence so the judge that heard the case didnt press any criminal charges......but no one seems to know if the judge will continue to review the case....so I guess that's why the NFL isn't closing up their investigation....but it seems as though he would be on his best behaviour until the situation is closed....

The Colts seem to be headed in the right direction with both protecting Luck and getting some help on defense too......I don't think we will know how the free agents pan out until we actually see the revised teams in action....sometimes a player looks good because of a system or the help of teammates surrounding a player....when a player moves to another team they could be a boom or a bust.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

Eddie Lacy is now a Seahawk replacing Marshawn Lynch. That should help out the Seahawks a bit. Seattle should win the NFC West this year. San Francisco and Los Angeles will both be better, but they're not playoff caliber teams yet. Arizona could be a threat, but they flopped badly last year from day one and never got their footing. Was that just one bad year, or has their window closed? We'll find out pretty early on. They played miserably in the preseason last year and that carried right into the regular season. That first preseason game will tell us if Bruce Arians has this thing turned around.

The Ezekiel Elliott investigation keeps getting almost wrapped up, only to have something new pop up. He's not helping himself a lot. Visiting the shop that sells marijuana while the team was in Seattle, and now this latest move of exposing a woman involuntarily, is really pushing his luck. After the Ray Rice debacle, the league is being extra cautious and Ezekiel is making it nearly impossible for them to close the books on the investigation. The kid's a heck of a running back, but he's got to start thinking a bit more or he's going to be watching more football than he plays.

I'm now to the point where I'd be surprised if he didn't get a suspension. I believe the first domestic violence suspension is a mandatory eight game suspension, and a second suspension is a lifetime ban, so he's really playing with fire. Legally, what he did by exposing the woman involuntarily is sexual assault. With her not filing a complaint and apparently being okay with everything he's likely to skirt legal trouble, but the league is likely not happy about it.

I suspect they may opt for something like a two to four game suspension for conduct unbecoming to the league, or something of that nature, for the visit to the marijuana shop and the more recent exposure issue. That would keep him out of the domestic violence channel and lessen the risk of him getting a lifetime ban for another incident while still getting his attention. If his latest actions have them leaning more to the "she said" side in the first domestic assault case, he could see an eight game suspension and be just one more incident from a lifetime ban.

Players are always targets for troublemakers and he's making it very easy for the troublemakers to come after him. Had that woman at the parade opted to play hardball with him and charge him with assault, he could be in big trouble. He's got to grow up, wise up, and start thinking a whole lot more than he is, or he may be relegated to playing in Canada instead of Dallas.

@gardenman

Glad you were spared the brunt of the storm.....

I agree with your assessment. I read where Jerry had a loud exchange of words with the woman at the NFL League Office who investigates the domestic violence cases....So Elliott hears that and probably thinks that ole Jerrah has his back....Jerrah's a powerful owner in the league and a HOFer to be too boot---so he probably thinks Jerrah will cover his rear end so he's untouchable....but the NFL is taking this domestic violence issue very serious and I agree he's ripe for some game suspensions and if he doesn't keep his nose clean may find himself with a lifetime ban....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@brandiwine wrote:

Enjoyed the combine.  Excited to see some of these young guys in the NFL.  How cool is it to have another WATT join the league?  The draft should be interesting to see where everyone ends up.

@brandiwine

I agree, I can't wait for the NFL draft.......Woman Very Happy

And even though I'm a Redskin fan, JJ Watt is one of my favorite NFL players....great guy on and off the field! I wish his brother the best of luck in the NFL!

Honored Contributor

The only problem with the combine is you come out of it wanting to draft about thirty guys and you don't have thirty draft picks. Christian McCaffery looked very, very impressive. He's a high character guy too. I suspect the Eagles coaches are picturing a two backfield with Sproles and McCaffery each in the backfield. You'd have a couple of very nervous linebackers trying to figure out how to cover those guys.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman

Glad you were spared the brunt of the storm.....

I agree with your assessment. I read where Jerry had a loud exchange of words with the woman at the NFL League Office who investigates the domestic violence cases....So Elliott hears that and probably thinks that ole Jerrah has his back....Jerrah's a powerful owner in the league and a HOFer to be too boot---so he probably thinks Jerrah will cover his rear end so he's untouchable....but the NFL is taking this domestic violence issue very serious and I agree he's ripe for some game suspensions and if he doesn't keep his nose clean may find himself with a lifetime ban....

Yeah, Ezekiel is putting himself into a very, very dangerous spot. If they suspend him for domestic violence, and I suspect they won't, but who knows, then he's out for eight games and one more hiccup and he's done for life (barring the intervention of the commissioner.) My best guess is they'll absolve him in the first case of domestic violence, and suspend him two to four games for conduct detrimental to the league (or something like that) for the marijuana store visit and the exposing of the girl. Jerrry Jones would have a coronary if he got the full domestic assault suspension. JJ would likely assign a babysitter or two to him like he did with Dez Bryant for a while if Elliott was at risk of getting a lifetime ban.

I think a two to four game suspension may be necessary to get the kid's attention though. He's under investigation, then visits a marijuana dispensary and exposes a woman against her will, while under investigation, so he kind of needs a wake-up call.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!