Honored Contributor

NFL News and Notes for June 2016!!!

June and the first half of July are scary months for teams. Team activities are generally done and players are free to do what they want. Coaches, scouts, front office personnel, and pretty much everyone in the NFL takes their vacations now. There are no high school or college players to scout. The rosters are largely filled out. Everything's pretty much set up for training camp and there's nothing left to do but wait for training camp. 

Any news that comes out this month and early next month is typically bad news. Aqib Talib, the Bronco's starting cornerback, just got shot in the leg in Texas. Other players will get suspended for various issues. Some players will get in legal trouble. Some players will get injured doing something stupid. For the next six weeks or so, you almost don't want to hear any news about your team. Anything you hear is likely to be bad news.

There will be debate on which players will show up for training camp and who will hold out for more money. DeSean Jackson has sat out the OTA's for the Redskins, forfeiting a half million dollars in the process. I have a suspicion he may be a problem for the Redskins heading into camp.

The Eagles have to get the Fletcher Cox contract issue resolved. He's under contract this year and they can tag him next season if need be which would cost the Eagles about $20 million over the next two years. They could then work out a long term deal, but Fletcher wants a contract now and the Eagles have agreed that he deserves one. The Eagles would prefer he take a new contract that reflects that $20 million cost for the next two years, while Fletcher and his agent want substantially more. Rumor has it that a $100+ million dollar deal is likely with $60 million or more guaranteed. I expect this to get settled by the start of training camp.

The Cowboys are said to be poised for a bounceback season. They have to keep Romo healthy though and the odds of that are not great. The two hits he took last year that broke his collarbone weren't extreme hits. He's been limited in his weight work since that first injury back last September. He'll be entering training camp less physically prepared as a result. I'm not optimistic on Romo's chances of surviving far into the season. They never fixed their backup quarterback situation despite intending to fix it in the draft. Reportedly they were hoping to get Carson Wentz, only to have the Eagles jump over them. Then they wanted to get Paxton Lynch only to have the Broncos hop over them again. Ultimately they settled for Dak Prescott, but if he becomes their starter this year, they're likely in big trouble.

The only real down time of the entire NFL year comes in June/July. This is typically when players get themselves in trouble of some sort. The next big news coming from the NFL will be the start of training camps. That's when teams start to breathe a sigh of relief. The players are back under their watchful eyes and more or less under control. For the next six weeks every GM and coach will feel their heart stop whenever the phone rings wondering what trouble their player has gotten himself into.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for June 2016!!!

@gardenman wrote:

The only real down time of the entire NFL year comes in June/July.

Well, that explains it - lately, Philly sports talk radio hasn't been Eagles 24x7.  I'm enjoying it!  There's even been some talk about national personalities and events.

Honored Contributor

The Aqib Talib story is starting to look a bit messy. He likely broke two or three laws getting shot which could impact his availability for the Broncos. Starting pro bowl caliber corners don't grow on trees, so the Broncos may have a challenge in replacing him.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles survived the OTA's and minicamps with no injuries, which is nice. Several teams have lost guys for the year already due to torn ACL's, but the Eagles survived the team activities and all should be good now until training camp.

Everyone's packing up and heading out of town on vacation, so we've got about six weeks of no news. If we hear anything newsworthy between now and then it'll likely be bad news.

The three Eagles quarterbacks will be uniting with receivers in California (San Diego I think) to work with the receivers for a few days between now and the start of training camp. All three quarterbacks seem happy together and are working well together. (At least for now.) We'll have to see how that holds up as the preseason starts.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I said earlier that June is when players get in trouble and sure enough, an Eagle has already managed to get in trouble. The mini-camp ended Thursday afternoon and now there's an allegation that Nelson Agholor, the Eagles wide receiver, raped a dancer at a club on Thursday night. No charges have been files as of yet, but the allegations are under investigation. It won't be the last trouble a player gets themselves into. Having six unsupervised weeks nearly always results in players getting into trouble.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Things are reportedly looking less messy for Nelson Agholor. More facts have come out. Reportedly he and the dancer agreed on a $1400 fee for an hour of time in a private room. The dancer apparently left the room early and an argument ensued when Agholor would only pay her $800 since she left the room early. Other dancers who witnessed everything say Agholor did nothing wrong. Reportedly there is surveillance footage that the Phiilly police are reviewing. This seems to be little more than a dispute over price.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

The Eagles have now locked up Fletcher Cox for six years at something like $106 million. He's now got more guaranteed money than any other non-quarterback in the NFL at $63 million guaranteed. Everyone's expecting him to dominate in the new defense this year, but I'm betting teams will focus on stopping him. It's not like we have a lot of other threats on defense.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman wrote:

The Eagles have now locked up Fletcher Cox for six years at something like $106 million. He's now got more guaranteed money than any other non-quarterback in the NFL at $63 million guaranteed. Everyone's expecting him to dominate in the new defense this year, but I'm betting teams will focus on stopping him. It's not like we have a lot of other threats on defense.

@gardenman  When I saw this----YIKES!!!  Cox now has the richest guaranteed contract for a NON-QB in NFL history!!!  I think the Eagles overpaid him.....and I bet the Bronco's GM John Elway is not having a good day, and Von Miller is doing a Dancing With The Stars Happy Dance, as the SB MVP negotiates his contract with the Broncos.......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman  If I were a Cowboy fan (and thank the good Lord I'm NOT), I wouldn't be counting on Romo going through the 2016 season unscathed.....and who's that backup now......Prescott that's who Jerrah's hopes and dreams will fall on when Romo gets hurt---well at least they didn't sign Manziel!!! 

As far as De Sean---not very good timing for him not to make an appearance at OTAs when the Redskins are going to have to make a decision to keep him or Garcon or get rid of both.........bad bad timing........

SOME of these players are just plan IDIOTS in the off-season---jeopardizing their careers---playing time, Ca$h in terms of fines, trouble with the law--- for what---STUPID STUPID STUPID---go on vacation, get a hobby, buy a business or something---find a better way to spend your time--Earth to brain, earth to brain ....SHEESH!!!.

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@gardenman  If I were a Cowboy fan (and thank the good Lord I'm NOT), I wouldn't be counting on Romo going through the 2016 season unscathed.....and who's that backup now......Prescott that's who Jerrah's hopes and dreams will fall on when Romo gets hurt---well at least they didn't sign Manziel!!! 

As far as De Sean---not very good timing for him not to make an appearance at OTAs when the Redskins are going to have to make a decision to keep him or Garcon or get rid of both.........bad bad timing........

SOME of these players are just plan IDIOTS in the off-season---jeopardizing their careers---playing time, Ca$h in terms of fines, trouble with the law--- for what---STUPID STUPID STUPID---go on vacation, get a hobby, buy a business or something---find a better way to spend your time--Earth to brain, earth to brain ....SHEESH!!!.

Yeah, the odds of Romo making it far into the season aren't great. The hits that took him out twice last year weren't brutal hits. They were pretty much routine hits. With a bad back, a bad shoulder, and limited strength building since last September, the smart money is on Romo making the disabled list again. One of the big needs for the Cowboys this off season was to address their backup quarterback position and they pretty much whiffed. Reportedly they thought they could get Carson Wentz, then lost him to the Eagles. Then they were hoping to get the guy Denver took, but they beat them to the punch. They ultimately grabbed the last guy available, but there's typically a reason the last guy is the last guy.

Fletcher Cox is probably overpaid, but the Eagles are really focused on keeping the home grown guys happy and he's now happy. We'll know if he's overpaid when January rolls around.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!