Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for February 2017!!!

@PurpleBunny I liked Brady's suspect board. I thought it was clever. I still find it hard to believe no one caught the theft on camera.

@Spurt There's some good news for you. Jay Cutler is apparently now planning to retire, so he won't be the Redskin's QB.  I think the Redskins have figured out that they either have to overpay Cousins or let him go, and I think they're willing to let him go. Nate Sudfeld is the Redskins' young gun and the kid has potential. I could see them letting him fight it out with McCoy and the winner gets the job. Realistically Cousins is a middle of the pack QB, but he'll be getting paid as a top three and next year with the tag he'll be the highest paid by a lot. You can't really do that and field a solid team. Sudfeld has a big arm and played well in college. Give him a solid line, a good running game, and the kid might just surprise everyone.

I don't see Cousins bringing a lot in a trade. I'd almost be surprised if the Redskins got more than a move up to the Brown's twelfth pick, or maybe an extra second round pick, but I don't see a team trading a top five pick for him. That price tag of his is scary. If you're locked into paying him $24 million this coming year, you're not going to want to give up much to get a contract like that.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@PurpleBunny I liked Brady's suspect board. I thought it was clever. I still find it hard to believe no one caught the theft on camera.

@Spurt There's some good news for you. Jay Cutler is apparently now planning to retire, so he won't be the Redskin's QB.  I think the Redskins have figured out that they either have to overpay Cousins or let him go, and I think they're willing to let him go. Nate Sudfeld is the Redskins' young gun and the kid has potential. I could see them letting him fight it out with McCoy and the winner gets the job. Realistically Cousins is a middle of the pack QB, but he'll be getting paid as a top three and next year with the tag he'll be the highest paid by a lot. You can't really do that and field a solid team. Sudfeld has a big arm and played well in college. Give him a solid line, a good running game, and the kid might just surprise everyone.

I don't see Cousins bringing a lot in a trade. I'd almost be surprised if the Redskins got more than a move up to the Brown's twelfth pick, or maybe an extra second round pick, but I don't see a team trading a top five pick for him. That price tag of his is scary. If you're locked into paying him $24 million this coming year, you're not going to want to give up much to get a contract like that.

@gardenman  From what I understand, they don't have security cameras IN the locker room (for obvious reasons).  And Unfortunately, the traffic coming and going ...  is a lot. I am Still holding out hope that they will get the culprit. They need to offer a reward. Someone will rat. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

@PurpleBunny wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman  From what I understand, they don't have security cameras IN the locker room (for obvious reasons).  And Unfortunately, the traffic coming and going ...  is a lot. I am Still holding out hope that they will get the culprit. They need to offer a reward. Someone will rat. 

NFL Films and the NFL Network tend to have cameras in locker rooms right after the game, often accompanying the players into the locker room. I've seen lots of footage of post game celebrations, team prayers and more. If there was a camera in the Patriot locker room, I'd strongly suspect Brady would have been their target. It's the most heavily covered game of the year, so there should have been cameras there somewhere. Typically the majority of the press is locked out until the team is ready, but they're still often filming anyone who comes and goes. It's just hard to imagine how an outsider could get into the locker room, get to Brady's locker, remove his jersey, and get away without anyone noticing.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman Yes, cameras, but not installed security cameras that film the players nude or during sensitive game meetings. They frown upon being watched when they aren't in control or aware of the filming. You don't want sensitive images winding up on cell phones or the other team being privy to your half time pep talk. 

( \_/ )
(='x'=)
( " )_( " )
Honored Contributor

Albert Breer of the NFL Network interviewed Adam Pacman Jones of the Bengals in the locker room right after a game in October of 2015 and inadvertently filmed other naked Bengal players in the background that weren't noticed until after they'd aired the interview. Oops!. Tht happened several times earlier, I think once with Inside the NFL on HBO or Showtime where they used postgame celebration footage of a team's victory without anyone noticing a nude player in the background.

The NFL Network and NFL films are often in the locker room, very, very early on after a game and often follow the players right in. The amount of footage that's shot at the Super Bowl is staggering and the locker rooms are usually kept at least somewhat secure so someone, somewhere should have caught an image of someone who shouldn't have been in the locker room entering or leaving it, if they didn't catch the actual theft.

It's a shame the old show Banacek isn't still on the air. This would have been a perfect case for him to solve. Banacek was an insurance investigator who would solve the impossible to solve cases. I used to love that show. They had one episode where a football player went missing after he was tackled and when the players got off the pile, he was gone, leaving only a confused looking group of players and officials. Banacek figured out what had happened and solved the case saving the insurance company millions. He'd find the jersey in a heartbeat.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Albert Breer of the NFL Network interviewed Adam Pacman Jones of the Bengals in the locker room right after a game in October of 2015 and inadvertently filmed other naked Bengal players in the background that weren't noticed until after they'd aired the interview. Oops!. Tht happened several times earlier, I think once with Inside the NFL on HBO or Showtime where they used postgame celebration footage of a team's victory without anyone noticing a nude player in the background.

The NFL Network and NFL films are often in the locker room, very, very early on after a game and often follow the players right in. The amount of footage that's shot at the Super Bowl is staggering and the locker rooms are usually kept at least somewhat secure so someone, somewhere should have caught an image of someone who shouldn't have been in the locker room entering or leaving it, if they didn't catch the actual theft.

It's a shame the old show Banacek isn't still on the air. This would have been a perfect case for him to solve. Banacek was an insurance investigator who would solve the impossible to solve cases. I used to love that show. They had one episode where a football player went missing after he was tackled and when the players got off the pile, he was gone, leaving only a confused looking group of players and officials. Banacek figured out what had happened and solved the case saving the insurance company millions. He'd find the jersey in a heartbeat.

@gardenman

Or COLUMBO Woman Wink

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

I'm kind of surprised no team has used their franchise tag yet. I seem to remember them getting used earlier in recent seasons. If this keeps up the league office will likely be very busy in those last few hours of the tag period. They might as well just limit the tagging period to a couple of hours if everyone keeps waiting until the last minute to use the tag.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@gardenman

Although retirement has been mentioned for Cutler.......if he decides to play, and he has been working out......getting ready for what??????????  But at least the rumors have steered him to the J*E*T*S---JETS JETS JETS---Thank God!!!

If the Redskins have to use the tag (seems inevitable at this point) they will more than likely wait until the last minute as they did last year.....

so @gardenman rumors are that Andy will move away from Alex Smith and look for a more dyanmic QB.....Romo????  Garapollo????  They would have to release some players for it to work...Eric Berry for one.....who Redskins have been looking at....and Jamaal Charles (Charles to Packers rumors are in the mix already).......What are your thoughts......

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt I'd be surprised if Andy wasn't looking to add Romo. When Peyton Manning was a free agent, Andy made a strong bid for him and the Eagles had Vick, Foles and someone else (Kafka?) at the time. Peyton didn't want to play against Eli twice a year so he went to the Broncos instead. No one really thought QB was a need for the Eagles at the time. I think Andy knows how good Romo can be and wants to upgrade at QB.

Garoppolo is going to be pricey and he's only started two games and got hurt in one of them. That's a little scary to me. Romo's largely made his money already and more wants a chance to win, so he may play for little more than the vet minimum if he wants to play for a team. The Chiefs may not have to tweak their roster too much if they wait until Romo's a free agent.

I've got a suspicion we'll see some big surprises at QB over the next few weeks/months.

This is an odd draft as for the first time in recent memory there are some really good, NFL caliber safeties in the draft, and that will likely lower the cost and demand for guys like Berry. Berry's age and injury history combined with the young kids available this year will likely limit his value.

The Packers really need a good running back. Much of the year they had their converted wide receiver as their starting RB and that's not ideal.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt I'd be surprised if Andy wasn't looking to add Romo. When Peyton Manning was a free agent, Andy made a strong bid for him and the Eagles had Vick, Foles and someone else (Kafka?) at the time. Peyton didn't want to play against Eli twice a year so he went to the Broncos instead. No one really thought QB was a need for the Eagles at the time. I think Andy knows how good Romo can be and wants to upgrade at QB.

Garoppolo is going to be pricey and he's only started two games and got hurt in one of them. That's a little scary to me. Romo's largely made his money already and more wants a chance to win, so he may play for little more than the vet minimum if he wants to play for a team. The Chiefs may not have to tweak their roster too much if they wait until Romo's a free agent.

I've got a suspicion we'll see some big surprises at QB over the next few weeks/months.

This is an odd draft as for the first time in recent memory there are some really good, NFL caliber safeties in the draft, and that will likely lower the cost and demand for guys like Berry. Berry's age and injury history combined with the young kids available this year will likely limit his value.

The Packers really need a good running back. Much of the year they had their converted wide receiver as their starting RB and that's not ideal.

@gardenman

It will be interesting to see what the Chiefs do.....they are so close and their offense needs a tiny tweaking to knock off the Patriots.......  I bet we will see an interesting QB carousel when we start the presason games.....

I for one am glad there is a plethora of safeties available this year....our draft picks haven't worked out and the team was even thinking of switching young and talented Su'a Cravens to  strong safety.....(he's althetic, fast, and versatil--plays several positions...Joe Barry used him mostly at LB and nickelback) ,,,,,Will be interesting to see what happens to veteran free agent safeties......we might be able to get some bargains at that position ....