Honored Contributor

Re: NFL News and Notes for August 2016!!!

It's now being reported that Tony Romo's injury is a compression fracture of a different vertebrae than he injured the last time. Reports are he'll be out until mid-season. (Retirement might not be a bad option for him now. Those back injuries aren't a lot of fun.)

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Cowboys announce Tony Romo has broken bone in back but 'confident' he'll play in 2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2016/08/27/tony-romo-back-injury-dak-prescott-dalla...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

“I am not going to stand up to show pride in a flag for a country that oppresses black people and people of color,” Kaepernick said. “To me, this is bigger than football and it would be selfish on my part to look the other way. There are bodies in the street and people getting paid leave and getting away with murder.”

NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said Saturday that “players are encouraged but not required to stand during the playing of the national anthem.”

The 49ers issued a statement after Pro Football Talk initially reported on Kaepernick’s stand, saying that Americans have the right to protest or support the anthem.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2016/08/27/niners-qb-kaepernick-refuses-to-stand-for-anthem-in-protest...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

Cowboys announce Tony Romo has broken bone in back but 'confident' he'll play in 2016

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/cowboys/2016/08/27/tony-romo-back-injury-dak-prescott-dalla...

The better question is, "Should he play in 2016?" A lot will depend on the Cowboys' record. If they're at 1-7 or 2-6 then probably not. The playoffs would be the longest of long shots and Romo won't be in peak physical condition making him more susceptible to injury. They've got some big decisions to make.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

Preseason game three for the Eagles went pretty well. Sam Bradford was 17 of 20 passing with one interception that hit the receiver in the hands only to have him tip it into the air for the interception. The defense continues to look good. We'll find out more once the regular season starts, but I'm cautiously optimistic right now. Granted the Colts were playing without eight (I think) defensive starters, so the offense should look good.

Dorial Green-Beckham could become the steal of the century if he pans out. He easily caught a touchdown pass by leaping over a defender last night. The guy's 6'-5" with a reported 39" vertical leap. Guys like that are kind of hard to defend in the red zone. He still doesn't know the offense well, but the coaches and other players really seem to be taking him under their wing and trying to help guide him. I think everyone sees the potential in the kid and wants to get the most out of him.

There were a couple of injuries after the game among the defensive linemen. VInny Curry has a sprained knee, but supposedly it really is just a minor sprain and nothing more serious. (Sprained knees often translate into ACL injuries but everyone's saying it's just a minor sprain, so we'll see.) One of our backup defensive tackles also got a knee injury that looks a bit more serious. We've got about six starting caliber defensive tackles though, so the depth is good there.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

went out last night to sit at a table in the bar......where they had three games going on at once. i am at the beach and you see lots of different fans here......ravens, redskins, steelers, and eagles.

of course, i was watching more of the ravens game and i have to say they looked pretty good against the lions. the only thing i didnt like seeing were the injuries last night. free agent benjamin watson tore his achilles tendon. ken dixon, a 4th round draft pick went down hard with a left knee sprain.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Good Showing after shaky start in Redskin preseason win over the Bills--

After sitting out the Jets game Capt Kirk shook off some rust and it showed with an interception and missing a wide open Ryan Grant. The OL didn't help either with Center Kory L with 3 holding penalties (7 total for the offense)..Garcon dropped a nice pass and Reed dropped 2 nicely thrown passes..but Kirk got them back on track and ended up with TDS on his final 3 drives!!  12/23 188 yds 3 tds 1 int.   Starting RB's Matt Jones and backup Chris Thompson did not play, but rookie Robert Kelley had another impressive game...

On defense OLB Preston Smith had a good game, very disruptive--QB hit and 2 tackles for losses. Breeland and Norman covered the Bill's WR well and Norman broke up a pass in the end zone.

BIG SCARE---

Ryan Kerrigan's groin injury thankfully it's not serious after undergoing an MRI. It's possible Kerrigan might not even miss practice time with the groin injury that sidelined him early in the Bills game.

The Redskins need to be extremely careful with both Kerrigan and sophomore Preston Smith as they are the only two proven edge pass rushers on the team following Junior Galette's injury for the second year in a row.

OL Moses (ankle), CB Dunbar (shin), RB Marshall (left elbow sprain)

@gardenman @sunshine45

Big blow for the Cowboys with the loss of Romo for  6 to 10 games and who knows this could be the end of his career...But Garrett's not ruling Romo out for the opener against the Giants on Sept 11 (REALLY??????)...Well at least the Cowboys have one of the best Offensive Lines whoever plays under center....eyes will see what Dak can do in the REGULAR season and with all their question marks on defense...it could be a loooonnnng season for Da Boyz and their fans........

And with the doom and gloom predictions for Romo out there....Texan fans have to be worrying about their main guy JJ Watt, Mike Golic on ESPN was saying that back injuries are very tricky.....

@sunshine45   Its only preseason but your Ravens are looking Good!

@gardenman  Boy except for that one pass from RGIII to Josh Gordon the Browns offense looked awful....same ole RGIII .....well at least the Brown's fans have the NBA Champs the Cavs to cheer for.....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt. The Cowboys aren't especially sane when it comes to Romo. That injury looked serious from the moment it happened and he should have gone immediately for an MRI. If they play him much before week ten, they'll be taking a chance with him. Romo's looked a bit chunky this year, he was out with the shoulder from September last year until around March when his surgery healed. Unless they're in the playoff hunt, they'll be better off keeping him on the bench and focused on getting ready for next year.

The good news is there should be no game changing injuries in week four preseason games as no starters will be playing this coming week. Second, third and fourth team guys will be playing in week four, so teams may lose a bit of depth, but no starters. 

I'm still nervous facing the Browns in that first game. RGIII is a bit scary. The Browns are going to be short-handed due to suspensions, but they could end up being pretty good when the suspended players come back.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

@Spurt. The Cowboys aren't especially sane when it comes to Romo. That injury looked serious from the moment it happened and he should have gone immediately for an MRI. If they play him much before week ten, they'll be taking a chance with him. Romo's looked a bit chunky this year, he was out with the shoulder from September last year until around March when his surgery healed. Unless they're in the playoff hunt, they'll be better off keeping him on the bench and focused on getting ready for next year.

The good news is there should be no game changing injuries in week four preseason games as no starters will be playing this coming week. Second, third and fourth team guys will be playing in week four, so teams may lose a bit of depth, but no starters. 

I'm still nervous facing the Browns in that first game. RGIII is a bit scary. The Browns are going to be short-handed due to suspensions, but they could end up being pretty good when the suspended players come back.

@gardenman

Well the Cowboys aren't sane when it comes to Romo because of who is running the show....I bet Jerrah is hoping for a playoff year or with what our local sportscasters have said even thinking Superbowl Rolling Eyes Emoticon so anything with common sense and patience goes out the window! And yes Romo did look chunky and less mobile and will be more so as he sits waiting on recovery. .....But Jerrah's hearing those cash registers ring with sales of Cowboy's merchandise if they have a good year.  Now  if I was Stephen Jones and Jason Garrett I would put Jerry on that one way rocket to Mars so they can do the sensible thing with Romo......that won't happen and as long as Jerry is in charge.....you know the rest....(good deal for the rest of us in the NFC East)

As for the Browns....I AM nervous when my Redskins play him just because he will have that extra motivation since my team dumped him.....  He still holds on to the ball too long....and when he's out of the pocket he still looks uncertain as to what he should do....

Coach Gruden already said no starters in preseason game 4

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Esteemed Contributor

The Colts offensive line regressed from the previous week. There were also a lot of defensive starters out. Vontae Davis being out really hurts the team. Now Mewhort is out and Darius Butler hurt his ankle. I'm glad that Luck didn't play the entire game; he was getting too many hits, as he got no protection. Bradford looked good, but the Colts kind of helped him along the way. Bradford should send Indy a "thank you" card.Woman Embarassed

On the positive side, Dorsett and TY Hilton looked good, as well as Moncrief. I think that Moncrief has all the makings of a break out player.

The Colts also signed Stevan Ridley. he will have to work for second place behind Frank Gore, as no one has yet been named as second. I'm not sure how good Ridley is or what to expect from him.

Next week they go to Cincinnati. I don't expect many starters in that game. at least for Indy.

SPURT: I liked your comment about sending Jerry Jones on one way ticket to Mars. That would be way of finding out if aliens do exist: they wouldn't want him and would send him right back to earth!

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain