Respected Contributor

It is a sad day in Hockeytown.  Gordie Howe has died at 88

He was such a part of my childhood, watching him play for years.

My Dad met him once and actually kissed him on his cheek!!

RIP Mr. Howe.  Thanks for all of the memories

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Honored Contributor

Re: Mr. Hockey Passed Away

[ Edited ]

@redwingsgal,  I can almost echo your post word for word.  I grew up watching the Red Wings with Gordie Howe as well.  I remember when he retired, I couldn't imagine the team surviving without him!  As you say, for those of us growing up in that area and era, he truly was "Mr. Hockey".

Years after he had retired from hockey, my husband had the pleasure of being his seat mate on a flight to Florida.  He said he was the most humble man he'd ever met.

Respected Contributor

How time passes...can't believe the great Gordie Howe was 88. RIP. Yes, he was one of the stars we loved to follow. (Husband was such a hockey fan, he'd read hockey history books outloud in the evening to me and play back old games to demonstrate the superiority of the old style skating.)

Respected Contributor

RIP Gordie Howe.

Trusted Contributor

Lots of great memories when Gordie, Mark and Marty played for the Houston Aeros. I was there for every home game.  RIP Mr. Hockey.

Trusted Contributor

R.I.P. Gordie

Jessa
Honored Contributor

Re: Mr. Hockey Passed Away

[ Edited ]

I was fortunate enough to see Gordie Howe at the of start his professional hockey career, in our city, as a member of the Red Wings minor league farm team. It was then the USHL, and our team was the Omaha Knights. I believe he was only 17 years old at that time. He played only 1 season here before moving up to Detroit.

I was pretty young at the time and just trying to learn about the game of Hockey. Really can't say how much I actually remember about him, but I do remember my mom saying he would go on to become a great hockey player. I do know he was always her favorite player the short time he was here.

No TV back in those days, and not living in Detroit, it was not easy to follow right away the careers of those that left our team to join the NHL. We still had our USHL team and were pretty much limited when it came to knowledge of the NHL.

Gordie Howe/Mr. Hockey, is in our city's Hockey Hall of Fame. I am very proud to say that I was awarded a Dedication to Hockey Award by this same Hall of Fame. Needless to say, to have my name anywhere close to Gordie is a distinct honor for me.

There will never be another Mr. Hockey, that title will forever belong to Gordie Howe. Rest in Peace Mr. Hockey, you will be missed and remembered by millions of anyone and everyone connected to the game you loved.

Condolences to the whole Howe family,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Living the burbs of Detroit my whole life, Gordie was a huge part of my past! My entire family have always been diehard Red Wing fans. Gordie Howe was such a legend. My son, when he was about 12 or so was just infatuated with Mr. Howe. For his birthday, I sent and received (for my son) a hockey stick that Gordie wrote: "To my biggest fan and my sons name". My son also has a personally written letter to him along with other memorabilia. Mr. Howe was such a great role model and a very kind, gentle, thoughtful man.

"Pure Michigan"