Respected Contributor

LeBron James SI sportsman of the year

I am very happy for LeBron and he deserved to win this award.  But they should have given the award to the entire team.

I also think that the Chicago Cubs were more deserving of this award this year.   

Both teams won in historic fashion but I think 108 years without a championship is more deserving. 

What does everyone else think?  

Esteemed Contributor

Re: LeBron James SI sportsman of the year

Fine with LeBron

It's embarrassing that it to so long and cost a real big money to build the Cubs winner.  No loyalty or familiarity with the team your either real good or gone. 

Esteemed Contributor

SI Sportsperson of the year is given to an individual.  Teams cannot win it .  As a result it is not often that the recipient of the honor is a team sports player.  They's had one nonhuman winner -- Secretariat.  

Usually when a player from a team sport is awarded the honor the reason extends beyond the person's performance on the field for his/her team to the impact that individual has over their entire league.  A couple of examples of that would be things like teams which may not usully sell out games do so because that guy is coming to town; that guy draws huge national TV ratings... which all teams profit from; coaches alter game plans; makes his team great just because he's on it, etc.

I feel James was a good choice for 2016, and I watch everything -- including the individual sports.

Honored Contributor

I would have nominated Steph Curry

@Susan25 wrote:

I am very happy for LeBron and he deserved to win this award.  But they should have given the award to the entire team.

I also think that the Chicago Cubs were more deserving of this award this year.   

Both teams won in historic fashion but I think 108 years without a championship is more deserving. 

What does everyone else think?  

Respected Contributor

It should have been the Chicago Cubs. 

Honored Contributor

This "sportsman" got his former head coach David Blatt fired. I guess it depends on how you define "sportsman".

Valued Contributor

@brewhaha wrote:

This "sportsman" got his former head coach David Blatt fired. I guess it depends on how you define "sportsman".

LeBron James is a very generous individual who despite growing up under very trying circustances, became a great husband, father and role model. The situation with David Blatt being fired was a result of him not being able to control his team. Getting rid of him was the best thing ever. DH watches every Cav's game and was not a fan of Blatt. 

Respected Contributor

@Trix wrote:

SI Sportsperson of the year is given to an individual.  Teams cannot win it .  As a result it is not often that the recipient of the honor is a team sports player.  They's had one nonhuman winner -- Secretariat.  

Usually when a player from a team sport is awarded the honor the reason extends beyond the person's performance on the field for his/her team to the impact that individual has over their entire league.  A couple of examples of that would be things like teams which may not usully sell out games do so because that guy is coming to town; that guy draws huge national TV ratings... which all teams profit from; coaches alter game plans; makes his team great just because he's on it, etc.

I feel James was a good choice for 2016, and I watch everything -- including the individual sports.

I couldn't copy it but in 1980 the US hockey team won this award, in 1999 the US women's soccer team won and 2004 the Boston Red Sox won so teams can win this award. Look it up if you don't believe me !   

I was ok with LeBron winning it but really believe that either the Cleveland Cavaliers basketball  team or Chicago Cubs should have won instead.   

Respected Contributor

@Catty2 wrote:

It should have been the Chicago Cubs. 

I agree with you @Catty2  that the Chicago Cubs would have been my first choice.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Susan25, I've has a subscription to SI since I was 12 so I know that.   I shouldn't have wrote teams cannot win, but rather that it's not likely and exceptionaly rare. I suppose the editors of SI did not find 108 years between World Series titles for the Cubs as compelling as the '04 Red Sox, Miracle on Ice, or the Women's Soccer victory.  Only the editors of SI can explain their reason and most of them are East Coast folks (hence perhaps the Red Sox selection).  The other two crossed the lines of having immense impact outside of the sports world, whereas the Cubs title run did not.  Sure, it was off the charts here locally and a huge story for baseball and those who follow the game. 

By the way, I enjoyed the Cubs parade!