Valued Contributor

Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch

Bryce Harper had to hold all of Katie Ledecky's Olympic medals during first pitch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3PlEUTEttg

Valued Contributor

Re: Katie Ledecky throws out first pitch

Cqqf9uGUIAA-any.jpg

Respected Contributor

I love her!  Of all of the US participants, I found her to be the most grounded and humble!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jpie wrote:

I love her!  Of all of the US participants, I found her to be the most grounded and humble!

Grounded and well taken care of her father is mega rich.

He is part owner of the Wizards and Capitals. 

She grew up meeting the most accomplished along with the rich and famous and having the best training available.

Honored Contributor

@hopi wrote:

@jpie wrote:

She grew up meeting the most accomplished along with the rich and famous and having the best training available.

I thought her father was an attorney.  Can't seem to find his connection to the sports teams other than as a fan.  Source?  Thanks!

Honored Contributor

Bryce making himself useful again.  They say Katie will return the favor by letting Bryce swim the ceremonial first lap at one of her upcoming competitions.  Smiley Happy

Valued Contributor

I like these 3 quotes by Katie Ledecky and thought I'd share with you:

When I was six, right before I started swimming, we went to a national competition here in Maryland and watched Michael Phelps swim, and I got to meet him afterwards, and I got his autograph. Fast forward nine years, and I'm at the Olympics with him, and it's like: 'Woah.'

I just like to swim…fast. I don't think about the distance.

WHAT I’VE DONE OVER THE PAST COUPLE YEARS HAS BEEN PRETTY GREAT, BUT EVEN THAT DOESN’T DEFINE MY SWIMMING. WORKING HARD AND DOING EVERYTHING I CAN TO BE SUCCESSFUL SHOULD BE MY IDENTITY.

Valued Contributor

This just in:
Katie has turned down $5 million in endorsement contracts.  She wants to maintain her amateur status and swim for her college team, Stanford.

http://ijr.com/2016/08/680397-american-swimmer-katie-ledecky-is-turning-down-5-million-a-year-for-th...

Honored Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

@hopi wrote:

@jpie wrote:

I thought her father was an attorney.  Can't seem to find his connection to the sports teams other than as a fan.  Source?  Thanks!

this is what i found......her UNCLE JON was a minority owner of the wizards and now he is a majority owner of the new york islanders.

http://heavy.com/sports/2016/08/katie-ledecky-parents-uncle-jon-islanders-owner-college-stanford-bro...

Her dad, David, a Harvard and Yale-trained lawyer, left his job as an attorney in 2011 to help her train, according to The Washington Post. Ledecky told WBUR that she was inspired to start swimming at age six when her older brother Michael joined a swim team — and she wanted to follow his lead. "I just always enjoyed swimming with him and I think that's how I really found my love of the sport," she said. I think if I didn't have my brother swimming with me, I don't know if I would have loved it as much as I did and still do."

http://www.bustle.com/articles/178548-katie-ledeckys-parents-helped-pave-the-way-for-the-olympic-rec...

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein