Honored Contributor

Re: Jose Fernandez Dies In Boating Accident

It's a shame for all 3 families. BUT what were they doing in a boat in the "early morning hours"? He knew today was a game day. And I'm wondering what toxicology tests will show.

He's young (don't know about the other two) and the young never think anything bad will happen to them, sadly. I am NOT bashing him/them but looking at this realistically. I feel for all the families.

Trusted Contributor

So sad.  It does make you question why he would be taken at such a young age and with such a bright and promising looking future ahead of him.  And I agree with another poster who said it's especially unfair when so many horrible people live amongst us,,,murderers, rapists, child molesters...may this young man rest in peace along with the others that were killed with him. 

Life sure can be cruel

Honored Contributor

From what I read, 3:30am was the time the boat was found. It didn't sound like that was the time of the accident. I guess we will find out soon.

Honored Contributor

proudly: Thanks for the info, I hadn't been aware of that. Such a shame.

Trusted Contributor

I also heard on the news late tonight that his girfriend was pregnant.  How sad for her and a child who will have to grow up without a father.

Valued Contributor

A co-worker of mine was killed exactly the same way in the Chesapeake Bay--only his boat hit a buoy.   Driving speed boats at night is a volatile cocktail.

Honored Contributor

@mercyMe wrote:

A co-worker of mine was killed exactly the same way in the Chesapeake Bay--only his boat hit a buoy.   Driving speed boats at night is a volatile cocktail.

It is very dangerous. You cannot see so many things that are in the water. We had 2 people by me killed when they rammed an anchored barge.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

It's a shame for all 3 families. BUT what were they doing in a boat in the "early morning hours"? He knew today was a game day. And I'm wondering what toxicology tests will show.

He's young (don't know about the other two) and the young never think anything bad will happen to them, sadly. I am NOT bashing him/them but looking at this realistically. I feel for all the families.

ITA.

It's been reported on my sports radio station continually since it happened.  Of course everyone talks about his waxing poetic w/ his work, but one host, who's a HUGE proponent of boat safety, had a different viewpoint.  

- late night

- fast boat

- no life jackets

- most likely, alcohol or worse.

Hard to have sympathy for someone w/ that mindset.

ESPECIALLY since he has a baby on the way.

Honored Contributor

This is a touching video of the time in 2013, Jose's rookie season, when the Marlins surprised him by bringing his grandmother in from Cuba.  He always credited her with introducing him to baseball and teaching him much of what he knew.  Later that year, he won NL Rookie of the Year.  This video makes me sad for his family and sad that we lost such a talented and vibrant young man.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2016/09/jose-fernandezdead-boating-accident-miami-marlins-cuba-escape-15-gra...

Honored Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

ITA.

It's been reported on my sports radio station continually since it happened.  Of course everyone talks about his waxing poetic w/ his work, but one host, who's a HUGE proponent of boat safety, had a different viewpoint.  

- late night

- fast boat

- no life jackets

- most likely, alcohol or worse.

Hard to have sympathy for someone w/ that mindset.

ESPECIALLY since he has a baby on the way.

I will wait for the official report. Obviously speeding at night is a disaster waiting to happen. But I will still wait for the report. I have sympathy for many people. Some even on this forum.