Honored Contributor

ESPN MASS EXODUS AND HOUSE CLEANING

[ Edited ]

I don't know if anyone has seen the news about the mass exit and/or house cleaning from ESPN that is taking place.....

So far---

Keyshawn Johnson's contract was not renewed.......

Mike Tirico will be leaving ESPN for NBC in June....

Skip Bayless has left for FOX SPORTS 1

Also let go are:-----

Cris Carter

Ray Lewis

And Trent Dilfer left ESPN in a salary dispute....he denies the rumor he is joining the 49ers organization.....

And in a cost cutting move also laid off 300 (behind the scenes employees).......

Any comments?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-espn-talent-leaving-20160428-story.html

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

Re: ESPN MASS EXODUS AND HOUSE CLEANING

I only know one thing, I won' t miss Skip Bayless, I can't stand the blowhard. !!

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Respected Contributor

Gee, it couldn't be because so many of them stick their noses into p*litics?  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

That explains why they announced there will be a new play-by-play announcer for Monday Night Football (I think I heard them say it will be Dan Shulman who does the Sunday Night Baseball games but I'm not quite sure). The NFL shows became unwatchable for me with Keyshawn & Chris Berman. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Tirico show up on the Golf Channel.

I wonder if this had anything to do with Riobert Flores' departure although none of the names you listed were anchors.. He is now a studio host on the MLB Network.

Honored Contributor

Sad for all of the employees that lost their jobs. Hopefully all of them will be placed at different networks.

Honored Contributor

i was a bit upset about them letting ray lewis go, but i know he was not always the best, but he had his moments. a little too unpredictable.....

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

@sunshine45 wrote:

i was a bit upset about them letting ray lewis go, but i know he was not always the best, but he had his moments. a little too unpredictable.....

@sunshine45  I liked Ray....I didn't think they really gave him much time to talk....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@brewhaha wrote:

That explains why they announced there will be a new play-by-play announcer for Monday Night Football (I think I heard them say it will be Dan Shulman who does the Sunday Night Baseball games but I'm not quite sure). The NFL shows became unwatchable for me with Keyshawn & Chris Berman. I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike Tirico show up on the Golf Channel.

I wonder if this had anything to do with Riobert Flores' departure although none of the names you listed were anchors.. He is now a studio host on the MLB Network.

@brewhaha  Yep, brew Dan Shulman is the guy that will be taking over.....some fans like him, while others say he's boring, and others say he is arrogant......And some think Jon Gruden (aka "Chuckie) shouldve been replaced too---LOL!!!  MNF sure isn't the same the way it was in its hay day with Cosell, Gifford, and Don Meredith.....

I couldn't stand Keyshawn......thank God and greyhound he's gone.....

I really like Trey Wingo and wish he would just take over the MNF studio duties...

It seems the ESPN cuts went through all levels of jobs.....

A lot of it has to do with ESPN charging the cable companies more to carry their networks....Then a lot of the cable companies were offering smaller packages (minus ESPN) to lower the cable rates and to keep customers since many were heading to Hulu and Netflicks.....so ESPN subscribers numbers really went down and therefore the revenue they received....and they need it to pay the big bucks to broadcast MNF, MLB, NBA, etc etc....Someone also mentioned that Cris Carter had a dalience with an ESPN makeup artist (and perhaps that is why he got cut)......and this same woman also filed a harrassment greviance against Berman (ESPN settled out of court, they said her story wasn't viable, but it would cost more to defend, and less to settle---so they settled (OR SO THEY SAY) .....Maybe the network needs to add an employee Soap Opera Channel....LOL!

I would like the NFL Network Sunday Morning Pre-Game crew if they dumped Michael Irvin...YUCCK!!! That network needs to make some cuts too in terms of watchability!

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I only know one thing, I won' t miss Skip Bayless, I can't stand the blowhard. !!

@QVCkitty1  As much as I didn't like Skip (we called him Skip BRAINLESS) at least he liked my NBA Spurs....now they won't be mentioned at all I'm afraid....

Honored Contributor

Lately I 've been watching Colin Cowherd on FS1 or listening on IHeart radio. He used to be on ESPN, and he is very opinionated, but he has good guests and an entertaining show.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan