Trusted Contributor

Re: Cam Newton's post game comments

[ Edited ]

@mantaraye wrote:

The Wendy Williams show follows my local news.  I didn't move fast enough to change the channel before she stated the Super Bowl was fixed in order to send Peyton Manning out on a high note.

Last week she said that all people at age 70 need to be evaluated each year.

Yikes!

First the Beyonce stuffing her agenda down our (friends and family) throats and now Wendy trying to take away Peyton Manning's win.  

Kayne West and Wendy have a lot in common.

Esteemed Contributor

I really don't see what the big deal is about that interview.  He said the other team played better, said a few more things (none of which were unkind) and then left. NO BIG DEAL!

Trusted Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I really don't see what the big deal is about that interview.  He said the other team played better, said a few more things (none of which were unkind) and then left. NO BIG DEAL!

These guys are paid millions of dollars to play ball.  They have fans who will support them regardless of a win or loss.  Part of their contract stipulates they have to sit through these interviews.  

If you can't run with the big dogs get back on the porch.  

Regular Contributor

@hopi wrote:

The game was poorly officiated and he probaly was biting his tongue.

I disagreed with one call.  That said The Broncos -played better and deserved to win.  If they had last I am sure Peyton Manning would have been a gracious loser.  My feeling is that Newton's youth and lack of experience (Super Bowl) got the best of him.  He has a ton  of growing up to do.

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I  disagree.  Accepting such a display of insolence, pouting, apathetic body language, blatant rudeness, disrespectful dress, et al.,  is symptomatic of a society gone wrong -- and that is a very big deal.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.
Valued Contributor

Part of sports is winning and losing.    It's not easy to lose especially your first appearance in the big game.

I just hope the Broncos gave credit to their back-up QB who really played more games than Peyton this season and got the team there also.    I don't recall anyone mentioning him much yesterday.    His name is Brock Osweiler.

Respected Contributor

@IamMrsG wrote:

@colliegirls wrote:

I  disagree.  Accepting such a display of insolence, pouting, apathetic body language, blatant rudeness, disrespectful dress, et al.,  is symptomatic of a society gone wrong -- and that is a very big deal.

I agree. I was waiting for him to take his ball and go home. 

Respected Contributor

@Frosted Cake

@Frosted Cake wrote:

Part of sports is winning and losing.    It's not easy to lose especially your first appearance in the big game.

I just hope the Broncos gave credit to their back-up QB who really played more games than Peyton this season and got the team there also.    I don't recall anyone mentioning him much yesterday.    His name is Brock Osweiler.

He's been acknowledged quite a lot locally.  He's the "heir apparent" to the Broncos QB throne if PM decides to hang it up now.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't give this interview much concern, there has been so much worse. This sport accepts abusers, rapists, and dog fighting participators back into their fold thru the years.  Walking off a stage is nothing.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@colliegirls wrote:

I don't give this interview much concern, there has been so much worse. This sport accepts abusers, rapists, and dog fighting participators back into their fold thru the years.  Walking off a stage is nothing.

As a professional athlete, whether one wants it or not, comes the responsibility to be aware of the effect, the power, they have as role models--either good or bad.  I have a young grandson who thinks football players are super-heroes.  There was, may still be, a lengthy thread on this forum about America's disrespectful youth.  One answer to the problem is that our young ones need to be guided, to be shown what grace under pressure looks like.  

Cam Newton's offense wasn't just walking off a stage. Walking off a stage after first sitting there in a slouch, with a hoodie pulled up over his head, mumbling terse answers was not nothing.  It was poor sportsmanship. It was disrespect of himself, his team and his management.  It was evidence of poor upbringing.  It was petulance.  It was classless.   

I agree with you that his outrageous behavior is the tip of the NFL's iceberg, although the crimes you mentioned are not exclusive to the NFL. That said, as with all icebergs, Newton's 'tip' is indicative of much bigger problems below the surface.  Just give him some time, and I am pretty sure he will show how much more there is.

Edited to improve spacing.

Strive for respect instead of attention. It lasts longer.