Honored Contributor

Re: Cam Newton's post game comments

The pressure on a quarterback in the Super Bowl is hard to comprehend unless you've been there. If the guy is lucky he'll have a great offensive supporting cast to take the heat off of him. Cam didn't. The Panther's run game wasn't very effective. His receivers weren't getting open. His offensive line didn't block well for him. On the rare occasion when everything went right, his line held their blocks, his receivers got open, he wasn't getting hit, he'd overthrow the receiver. It was just about as bad a game as Cam Newton could have. He had the strip sack recovered for a touchdown by the Broncos. Absolutely nothing went right for him. He just got no help in that game and everything that could go wrong did.

You're apt to see a completely different Cam Newton if the Panthers can find their way back to the Super Bowl in another year or two, but the disappointment he felt yesterday, in both his performance and that of his team. just made the post-game interview torture for the guy. I'm quite sure he never envisioned that game ending like that. The game was there for the taking, the Broncos didn't look great, but he couldn't take it. He feels like he let down his teammates, the fans, the city, his family, it's not a fun spot to be in. Then the press comes in. "So, what happened today?" 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Super Contributor

[ Edited ]

The post game interviews for the losing team are tough, but part of the process.

I've watched many post game interviews with the quarterback when they've lost and I can't remember another one quite like this.

Of course Newton is disappointed, but I always think of the young fans and how they now perceive this behavior.

No one expects the QB to be all smiles and making jokes after a loss, but to me anyways, Newton seemed very selfish and whiny. I'm hoping he will watch this interiew at some point and learn from his behavior. He is young and will probally go on to great things, so hopefully he will mature and realize you can't win em all.

Vicki

Respected Contributor

@vicki is ok wrote:

The post game interviews for the losing team are tough, but part of the process.

I've watched many post game interviews with the quarterback when they've lost and I can't remember another one quite like this.

Of course Newton is disappointed, but I always think of the young fans and how they now perceive this behavior.

No one expects the QB to be all smiles and making jokes after a loss, but to me anyways, Newton seemed very selfish and whiny. I'm hoping he will watch this interiew at some point and learn from his behavior. He is young and will probally go on to great things, so hopefully he will mature and realize you can't win em all.

Vicki

@vicki is ok

Where do you come up wih this 'selfish and whiny' description of Cam.  I have never seen or heard him be selfish and whiny.  Do you think he would be all smiles and act normal after this loss????????????  Good grief...

Trusted Contributor

@KatieB wrote:

@vicki is ok wrote:

Vicki

m you come up wih this 'selfish and whiny' description of Cam.  I have never seen or heard him be selfish and whiny.  Do you think he would be all smiles and act normal after this loss????????????  Good grief...

He is known for lack of maturity and humility.  He still has the obiligation to handle this huge loss LIKE A MAN.  

He demonstrated a lack of leadership if nothing else last night.

Trusted Contributor

I was struck by his behavior on the field after losing.  A gifted player indeed.  But, loss is part and parcel of the game.  I thought to myself, he really has no idea how fortunate he is....there are millions of people that would love to just play in a Superbowl but have missed the mark in one way or another.  Perhaps to temper his defeat, maybe, focusing on that issue alone would help him in his disappointment.

Valued Contributor

Cam Newton is a VERY ARROGANT and spoiled brat.  I was NOT surprised at all by his selfish and immature behavior post game.  He SHOULD learn how to grow up and act like a man  - he could learn many lessons from Peyton.

Valued Contributor

@hopi wrote:

The game was poorly officiated and he probaly was biting his tongue.

Yes, it was very CLEAR the refs were for the Panthers as were the commentators. Glad Peyton proved them wrong!  FINALLY one ref called a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct on the Panthers player - FINALLY!  He had been giving dirty hits during the entire game!

QVC Customer Care

Valued Contributor

I'm a Redskins fan who lives in Phoenix and cheers for the Cardinals as my backup team.  During the last season Cam & the Panthers used both my teams like they were the practice squads.  The games were brutal if you weren't a Panthers fan.  That being said, I still like Cam.  Yup, he needs to do some growing up.  But google his name and birthday party for sick child and you'll see a story about him surprising a young fan who was sick with cancer for his birthday.  He brought a pizza truck and lots of team gear.  He does these sorts of things in his community.  With what we've seen from some of these players over the last season (complete with arrests), walking out of a press conference after a loss is small potatoes.  I don't think he should have walked out but sometimes good hearted people do dumb things.  That's my 2 cents.  And I was glad for Peyton to go out on a high note.

Honored Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I have always felt that the interviews with the losing team is like rubbing salt in a wound, of course we know the team is upset.  He didn't do anything wrong, better to walk off than to cuss or be upset with the interviewer.

Many team players have run away from interviews before, even the winners.

BOO HOO!  If you're old enough to take the field and good enough to take the millions of dollars that fans shell out to watch you, you should be big enough to be a gracious loser.  Period.  GROW UP.