Esteemed Contributor

Cam Newton's post game comments

Not a football fan and not vested at all in either team but was just reading about Cam Newton's post game news conference.  I understand he was disapointed but perhaps some lessons in how to handle disappointment with some grace and class would be in order.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cam Newton's post game comments

I have always felt that the interviews with the losing team is like rubbing salt in a wound, of course we know the team is upset.  He didn't do anything wrong, better to walk off than to cuss or be upset with the interviewer.

Many team players have run away from interviews before, even the winners.

Honored Contributor

It was too bad, but he is young and I think he will learn how to deal with these situations as he matures.  Post game interviews with the losers of any game always are uncomfortable for me to watch.

Esteemed Contributor

The game was poorly officiated and he probaly was biting his tongue.

Respected Contributor

I didn't see the interview but I can't imagine anyone sticking a microphone in my face after a major disappointment like that.  Some of the people who do these interviews ask the most stupid questions. 

Honored Contributor

I think Cam Newton is a young and very gifted athlete who is going to have a monster career but part of that will include losses and he needs to learn to accept that too.

For me it started when I saw he did not have his hand over his heart during the National Anthem and then progressed throughout the game.  You could see him getting more and more emotional and frustrated culminating in throwing himself on the ground like a child after the Bronco's last touchdown.

This had to be a devastating loss for the Panthers especially after the year they had.  I'm sure their confidence was over the top and to lose had to be tough and quite a shock but this is a well paid, professional young man that need to grow up.

I agree those post game interviews for the losers can be excruciating but I have always been impressed with those that could buck up and answer the questions as best they could without drama.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I understand him being upset, but by now, they should know only one team wins.

I think his ego was hurt.

Valued Contributor

His actions throughout the year on the field have shown his immaturity, and they were encouraged by his team, fans, and the media. His behavior throughout the game reinforced that. When the ball was knocked out of his hand and he backed off rather than going after it to get it back, it said volumes. The little scene when he was sacked /tackled and apparrently thought there should have been a call was also telling. 

I am not a football fan, and could care less which team won, since I am primarily a baseball fan. I do follow sports by reading online, however, and try to be able to participate with the family when they watch it! 

In any competition, one team wins, and one team loses. It is just good sportsmanship and class to congratulate the winning team and lick your wounds (and show your disappointment) in private. 

Honored Contributor

He sure wasn't very gracious............of course, the other team got a bigger paycheck.....................

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

KathyPet wrote:

Not a football fan and not vested at all in either team but was just reading about Cam Newton's post game news conference.  I understand he was disapointed but perhaps some lessons in how to handle disappointment with some grace and class would be in order.

ITA. I know that's exactly how Peyton Manning would have handled the situation had his team lost.

-------------------------------

All of my children have paws  =^..^=