Honored Contributor

Baseball Hall Of Fame Induction

Let me state that I'm a big Mets fan and bias, I loved watching Mike Piazza getting inducted into the Baseball Hall Of Fame. I thought his speech was beautiful, he thanked so many people who helped him along the way and was so grateful to the Mets. It was so touching when he spoke about his father. You tend to think sports jocks are rough and tough but it was nice to see Mike as just a human being who seemed so humble of the HOF honor. I'm so happy he enjoyed his time in Queens and went in as a Met. He will now join Tom Seaver as the two Mets players in the HOF. Congrats to Mike Piazza and Ken Griffey Jr.

Honored Contributor

Re: Baseball Hall Of Fame Induction

There was a nice article in today's paper about Mike Piazza and his induction into the Hall of Fame. Also, the article talked about how the Phillies should have drafted him in 1985 and 1986 since he was a local boy.

It was always fun to watch the Piazza family ( and Tommy Lasorda)  in the stands when the Mets came to town.

Trusted Contributor

Completely agree. The sweetest, most tender hearted speech. His father looked so proud and of course so emotional. Both speeches made me teary and both  men inducted yesterday were amazing ball players. Happy

to see them join the many talented men in the Baseball Hall of Fame!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Huge Piazza fan here too!! Heart I'll have to catch (pun intended??! Woman Wink) his speech on line. I was at the Mets game when he was inducted into the Mets Hall of Fame. It was incredibly moving and tears were flowing. both Mike - and the crowd!!! His Dad was very ill then- he was in a  wheelchair and appeared to have  limited time.  I'm very glad to read his Dad was also in Cooperstown !!

Honored Contributor

I love Mike Piazza. I'm 68 and until a few years ago lived in So. Cal. (Torrance), and moved to WA state a year after my DH died. Never cared for Griffey, but Piazza, oh boy! I just read a sample of his book, Long Shot, on my Kindle, and I may buy the whole book.

I did miss him when the Dodgers did that sneaky deal with Miami but Mike got the best of it when he went to the Mets. I always preferred the Mets to the Yankees ha ha. I also loved his speech. I have to say, I had enough of Lasorda to last me a lifetime but hey, it was about Mike, not TL!!  I loved that he mentioned all those who helped him along the way. A good guy.

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114 wrote:

Huge Piazza fan here too!! Heart I'll have to catch (pun intended??! Woman Wink) his speech on line. I was at the Mets game when he was inducted into the Mets Hall of Fame. It was incredibly moving and tears were flowing. both Mike - and the crowd!!! His Dad was very ill then- he was in a  wheelchair and appeared to have  limited time.  I'm very glad to read his Dad was also in Cooperstown !!

@Ibby114 if your a huge fan you must see the beautiful speech he gave. I'm sure if you Google it you'll find it.

Honored Contributor

Yankees fan here......I loved his speech! It showed a soft, emotional  heart.   I always enjoyed watching him play. Can you tell,  I have a soft spot for him.  lol

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.
Honored Contributor

I just watched the Mets ceremony retiring Mike Piazza's number, 31. Enjoyed it so much! Now the Mets need to retire the numbers of Doc Gooden, Darryl Strawberry, Gary Carter, and Keith Hernandez. It's really a shame the organization hasn't honored them yet. 

Honored Contributor

Hi @Jordan2 

I just watched the ceremony!!  So wonderful!!   You can feel all the love from the fans!!  I agree, there needs to be other numbers retired!!

Good luck to the Mets tonight!! 

You can take the girl out of Jersey, but you can't take Jersey out of the girl. Jersey Girl living in CNY.