Esteemed Contributor

Re: What is the difference between Betula and Birkenstock?

On 6/17/2014 Feline Fine said:
On 6/13/2014 faeriemoon said:

Forgot to mention, I have many (probably 75) pairs of Birkis/Papillios/Birkenstocks, but I don't have any Betulas so I cannot speak to the quality of that line.

What about Birkenstock's other 'off-shoots', like AlPro, Footprints, & Tatami?

Ya know, you MUST complete the entire lineup, in order to be a true-blue fan and devotee of Birkenstock! Cool

I can't go through all of the varieties of Birkenstock and who makes what because the family dispute which sent the brand into all these fractured pieces was messy and complicated. I do recall in the days when I did wear Birkies it was the Tatami styles that I preferred and no one on TV sells them. In fact, I don't see Tatami anywhere locally. I suppose if I still had limited options in comfort shoes I would hunt them down online.

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 okiebug said:

I know Alpro is for the service/medical industry - specifically non-skid soles, back straps, closed toes. All the Footprints I've seen look like regular shoes with Birkenstock insoles. Haven't seen any Tatami.

Thanks for nudging my memory - we have a vintage Birkenstock shoe store in town I need to go to. It's not used shoes, they are all new in the boxes, just from the 80's. A lady owned a Birkenstock store in the 80's and rather than having a going out of business sale, just packed everything up and stored it. About a year ago, a young man found out about it, made a business deal with her and opened a store with new "vintage" Birkenstocks. I think it's great that the boxes look the same, there are the same styles, same Birkis, Papillos, Birko-Flor.

Do you live in central NJ? - 'cos I want to go to that store!!! {#emotions_dlg.lol}

Esteemed Contributor

On 6/17/2014 lulu2 said:

When I purchased Birkenstocks and Betulas I found the sizing was different. I wore a 6 and on QVC that was a 36 but on HSN (Betulas) it was a 37. The Betulas were huge. When I ordered their 36, it was shorter and wider than QVC's.

My Betulas were cheaply made. When they got wet the soles fell off. This never happened to my Birkis. The foot bed in my Betulas pilled.

I found the Betula uppers were cheaply made- most of mine are leather but it must be a low grade. Most stretch out and are unwearable! The elastic gore on the side lost it's elasticity on every pair I've owned.

Trusted Contributor

On 6/17/2014 Trix said:

I can't go through all of the varieties of Birkenstock and who makes what because the family dispute which sent the brand into all these fractured pieces was messy and complicated. I do recall in the days when I did wear Birkies it was the Tatami styles that I preferred and no one on TV sells them. In fact, I don't see Tatami anywhere locally. I suppose if I still had limited options in comfort shoes I would hunt them down online.

Trix, you are so right! The funny thing is that in the old (old!) days QVC sold Betulas. (before the whole Christian Birkenstock battle) and at that time they were made in Germany and were of the same quality as (original) Birkenstock, Papillos, Tatami. The low end side of Birkenstock, at that time, was Birkis. I still have a few pairs of the QVC Betulas. And I have ONE pair of Tatami's that I purchased from QVC..but not from a regular Birkenstock show...this one was offered on a FFANY/Shoes on Sale show.

I am (was) lucky as I live very close to one of the QVC outlet stores. I purchased most of my Birkenstock shoes there. I was getting the on air samples and samples used in the still shots. Those days are long gone..but I do still have over 75 pairs!

Cindy

Occasional Contributor

My betula's are made in Spain. My 1 pair of older betula's will not break in. I've been trying for years. I bought a second pair to see if my first pair was odd, because they were cow hide with a zebra print (super cute) but same thing. Mine are holding up unbelievably well, opposite to other people, they won't break in. One pair is leather, the other is cow how. My alpro, birki, papillio, and Birkenstocks are made in Germany. I do not own a tatami, so I can't say. I wish qvc still carried them...and would have a tsv. I guess I'm going to try earth brands and orthaheel, but I wonder what size to order. I fit a 37-38 narrow and wide in birks, the 37 wide is best for me, but all those sizes fit comfortably. I now shop online for my birks, I know my size; ebay, zappos, Sierra trading post, 6pm, etc. Just search birkenstock and you will get a bunch of sellers. Good luck out there looking for birks. I wish qvc still carried them and would do a tsv as soon as possible, this summer please!!!