Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

With a diabetic they are interested in making certain the feet are protected from getting any sores or wounds for reasons that have nothing to do with arch support.  The vionic shoes are for arch support - diabetes is another issue entirely.

@151949   Yes, I know that.

Do a search for "best shoes for pronation".  I did and every single one was a tie athletic shoe including one Vionic.  Not a single flip flop.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@suzyQ3  We're any of your surgeries Successful?  The one I had was to shorten the tendons in the hope they'd give better support.  I was completely off my feet in a wheelchair 6 weeks and then on a walker with a big boot for another 6 weeks.  After all that it didn't work.

That's how I spent my first 3 months of retirement.

I'm so sorry, @Kachina624. Foot surgeries can be a gamble. I'll give you my brief rundown.

About six years ago I was suffering so much from a bunion on my right foot that had also developed a bone spur. So not only did my toe bulge out but also up. I got to the point where I really couldn't wear shoes. So I took the plunge. My surgeon fused my right toe, shortened my second toe, untwisted my fourth toe, and shaved down the bunion on my little toe (bunionette or tailor's bunion). I was in surgery for almost four hours.

A few months later I had similar surgery on my left foot. Sometime after that I had to have a screw that was bothering me removed from my right toe.

The worst was the last. That bunionette on my right foot that he had shaved decided to go full throttle with a growth spurt. It became so painful that I had trouble walking at all. The last thing I wanted was to undergo surgery again, especially since it would be the most complicated of all. But I really had no choice.

All the surgeries were basically successful. I am carefully watch the bunionette on my left foot, but so far so good. I am back to walking my three miles a day. Truly the worst aspect of all this, as you alluded to, is the recuperation. I felt that I would go insane with such restrictions. Or more insane. :-) I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

Because both of my big toes are fused and I still worry about that one bunionette, I will always be very careful of what shoes I wear. Thankfully, my options are better after all the work that's been done, but still.

Are you able to walk without pain, Kachina624? Would you ever consider more surgery?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Respected Contributor

My chiropractor told me that I shouldn't wear flip flops, not good for the back.

Honored Contributor

I sympathize with your surgery trials.  When your feet hurt, you feel bad all over.

Unfortunately I have a lower back problem that includes most things that could go wrong.  Surgery isn't an option.  I can only stand and/or walk about 5 minutes then must sit.  There are many things I can no longer do.  So I try to grin and bear it.  Thank goodness for QVC shopping and Amazon.  I can make it through the grocery store on the electric carts.  Otherwise, I don't get out much.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Joakim on left, Liam on right

Honored Contributor

@SharkE

Liam on left, Joakim on right

Honored Contributor

Thanks for the clarification ! They've like my sister and I. people always call her by my name we resemble, so. LOL

I couldn't quite figure it out. Never watch the show, but, came across it as I was flipping channels and go "what"? LOL

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I sympathize with your surgery trials.  When your feet hurt, you feel bad all over.

Unfortunately I have a lower back problem that includes most things that could go wrong.  Surgery isn't an option.  I can only stand and/or walk about 5 minutes then must sit.  There are many things I can no longer do.  So I try to grin and bear it.  Thank goodness for QVC shopping and Amazon.  I can make it through the grocery store on the electric carts.  Otherwise, I don't get out much.

(((((@Kachina624))))

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@151949 wrote:

IMO his magic marker demo is very effective at demonstrating what these shoes do for you that other shoes can't do. 

There are many shoes that have built in arch supports and claim to correct pronation.  I have a serious pronation problem and even had unsuccessful surgery to try to correct it.  I know those slides Vionic sell by the bus load offer no support, in fact most of their shoes don't.  You'll never see an knowledgeable shoe fitter sell a shoe to a person who pronates unless the shoe surrounds and supports the foot.

While I have a serious, crippling pronation and Vionic shoes are one of only 2-3 brands (and the best of those) that allow me to walk pain-free. I rely totally on Vionics for my pronation issues and they have never let me down, while many other brands others swear by don't do a thing for my feet.

I prefer their closed shoes but wear their thongs also.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

IMO his magic marker demo is very effective at demonstrating what these shoes do for you that other shoes can't do. 

Well said, @151949! I absolutely agree. And while some of us may have seen it too often, remember that new people tune in every day and have never seen it before. Why would he skip such an effective demo when those new people might benefit from it? That would be foolish.

I don't need to see it anymore, but I also don't need to see people wear shoes before I buy them. I just search the site for new Vionics and buy the ones I want, same as I do any other shoe store. I do check out the video to see if they mention that this shoe or that runs wide or whatever, but I can skip through the demo for that.