Occasional Contributor

...if you are eating please don't read further... 😳

I stopped buying Vionic sandals after the second pair. I do not have foot odor. I am grateful for that as there are so many other fun things to contend with... But I have noticed that when I wear my Vionic sandals all day, around 3pm I notice a disturbing odor in my office. It is coming directly from the Vionic sandals. It is so obvious that at home my kids have mentioned it - especially when I take them off to cool my feet. Am I the only one encountering this problem? I love the sandal as I have extremely high arches that need support. But I just can't wear them. 

Valued Contributor

Re: Vionic - An Embarrassment

What material covers the footbed?  If it's a synthetic rather than leather, that could be your answer right there.  Also, the insole itself is made up of a whole assortment of synthetic materials.  Not all the Vionics I've seen on air have a leather footbed, especially the sandals, and that's the first thing I look at when buying any shoe.  If it's not leather, I won't buy it.  

Honored Contributor

I have never experienced that. I own a pair of Vionic sandals and one pair of tall boots. I would think that if there was a problem, I would most certainly smell it from the boots because of the feet being enclosed for long periods of time. So sorry you are having that problem. Smiley Sad

Respected Contributor

Try spraying the footbed with Lysol spray.  Spray generously and let it dry overnight.  You may have to repeat every few days if the odor returns.

If you are desperate, try washing them (either by hand or in the washer) and place in a warm place to dry--outside in the sun or by a heating register indoors.  I've saved some stinky Skecher-type sneakers this way.

Respected Contributor

Is it possible there is an issue with your feet?  How about your other shoes, do you notice an odor too?  (Sorry, don't mean to offend, but we had something like this happen.)

Super Contributor

I own about 5 different tpes of Vionics including sandals but never had that problem. By the way , foot odor problems can be helped by soaking feet in vinegar. I am not saying that is OP 's issue. Just info for those who need it.

Super Contributor

@catherine-grace.  I had that prblem with the slippers.  They are fuzzy faux fur but have a criss cross open design.  I don't have odor in any other shoes or sneakers.  I don't  wear these sandals every day.  I sprayed them with Lysol, it didn't work.  I put baking soda o n a cloth and washed them that way.  That finally worked.  

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the advice. I have no issue with any other shoes/boots. The foot bed is definitely synthetic. It has a soft feel to it. Perhaps what I will try is the baking soda one time a week during the season. I was not aware that man made material could cause issues. I do usually wear leather. I have to remember that! 😾👡

Honored Contributor

I wore them all last summer and never had any smell. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor

I agree with the other ladies here, if the sandal footbed is washable, then try washing them and letting them air dry. EVA footbeds like my Skecher sandals can make your feet sweat and so can the ones with the additional memory foam inserts.