Occasional Contributor

Squeaky shoes with bare feet.

Can anyone tell me how to stop the squeak when wearing a heel in bare feet? If I put on a sock, there is no squeak, so it is not a faulty shoe.  Purchased the GILI kitten heels. Love them, but they squeak in bare feet.  help!  Thanks

Honored Contributor

Re: Squeaky shoes with bare feet.

Powder your feet and the sole of the shoe. Magic!

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for the powder tip, @violann!

@Samdog, I have the GILI "Estelle" kitten heels. I had to go up 1/2-size in the Estelle because they are very narrow in the front, and they are comfortable. Do you have the newest ones? Are they true-to-size? Thanks for help re sizing on the latest ones. (There isn't any information re size/fit on the video.)

Occasional Contributor

I wear a 7M and that is what I ordered in these new Georgette kitten heels. Got both the snake and cork.  They just arrived today, so have not worn them out,  but tried them on and they fit me true to size and are comfortable. For me, I would not go up a half size, but all our feet are different. The point seems to be past the toe area and does not pinch them. Very comfortable and cute, especially the snake. Want to keep both.   I just need to figure out the squeak that is happening with bare feet. I am sure the powder sounds like it might work, but I do not want to powder the shoes or my feet and then have to return them with powder showing. Thanks for the comments.

Honored Contributor

Powdering them will work for a short time.  I sometimes have that then it goes away and bla bla.

I wear Birkenstock sandals around the house, barefoot.  Suddenly (I guess my feet (sasquatch size 10 1/2 ) sweat!  If you are sure it is the feet and not the shoe.  If it's the shoe it would be from the 'shank' in the shoe.

Regular Contributor

Wouldn't the powder only work temporarily? Maybe there's a stick-on insert?

Honored Contributor

The "squeek" usually results from moisture from the foot adhering to the instep of the shoe.

Powder is the fastest way to determine whether or not that is the reason for the problem.

I know of nothing else but wearing a shoe liner, but except for walking in a library or church, I'm more bothered by lumpy shoe liners than by squeaks, and of course shoe liners are silly looking with sandals. 

There ARE some shoe liners that have a fabric covering, but they work about the same as the sock type.

Is putting a bit of powder into the shoe each time it's worn problematic?

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Samdog, many thanks for your size and fit info! 

Edited to add: During my search for a good fit in the GILI Estelle, I tried a pair that squeaked. (I always wear with bare feet these days -- no "nylons/pantyhose.") I didn't know the "powder tip" at the time or I would have tried it. I returned them and later bought them "as is" in size 8, and they were fine (no squeak). I put the details in the Community Q/A section. There may be an issue with the shoes -- you might want to exchange for another pair of the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been putting those Foot Petal inserts in all of my shoes from sneakers to sandals. They are gel inserts and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Works for me.

Honored Contributor

@Fressa wrote:

I've been putting those Foot Petal inserts in all of my shoes from sneakers to sandals. They are gel inserts and come in a variety of shapes and sizes. Works for me.

They're great and very thin!