Honored Contributor

@Tantallum  You must have a difficult foot to fit.  I wear a size 11B, have ordered dozens of shoes from Zulily sight unseen and have only had one pair be too short, a pair by Spring Step which I now know always run short.  They've all been okay in the width.  If they're a little loose, I just insert another insole.

Do you not have a local shoe store where you can try shoes before buying?  There are many brands that have removable insoles so orthotics can be inserted.  See if you can find a store with a pedorthoist on staff.  They are trained to fit shoes.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Valued Contributor

Thank you @Kachina624, I live in Chicago in the middle of the city, so there are plenty of shoe stores, however I have not found one that regularly stocks 11 WIDE.   Many carry 11 medium now but rarely do places carry 11 wide.  I think my problem is that I am on the cusp of wide and regular so if a wide is running even a little wide, it will be too big and if an 11 medium is running even a little narrow I won't be able to wear that. 

Because of my issues with past stress fractures and such, I am especially picky about the fit of my shoe and unless it is really well fitting, I just can't wear it.  I am afraid I will get another stress fracture.  I feel pretty defeated WRT online shopping, so I think I will have to hit the shoe stores to try on 11 mediums and hope I run into some that are running wide...

Trusted Contributor

I feel your pain as I am also a size 11 W.........very wide. Due to being crippled as well I cannot wear heels and such. My go to shoes are Birkenstocks and I like the Fisherman sandles that have adjustable straps. I have yet to find a boot that will fit except UGGS and they fit well. I have to size up to 42 in Euro sizes. I hope you find a good shoe to fit as my search also continues.

Honored Contributor

Re: Sizing rant

[ Edited ]

No such thing as consistency in shoe or clothing sizes these days. It makes it difficult.

Depending on brand and style, I may wear a size 7, 7.5, or 8. The size often varies within a brand. It is trial & error. I'm very careful where I order shoes from & don't think I have ever paid return shipping. If I return a shoe it is usually an exchange for a different size.

Trusted Contributor

I totally agree. I used to buy all my shoes at QVC because I, too, need an 11 W and the stores don't carry that size. Well, after ordering several pairs of Ryka all in 11 W, the last 3 didn't fit and had to be returned for $7 & the original $5. So 3 times and you're out---I am done.  $36 and no shoes.  Now I go to Amazone or onlineshoes or zappos or any of several websites that feature free shipping and free returns. Plus they are cheaper for the same shoe. Win-win for me and lose-lose for the Q.

Honored Contributor

Perhaps you can find an on-line store that offers free shipping in both directions so that it won't be so costly for you.  

New Contributor

I thought I was the only one having a problem with shoes from QVC I have ordered 5 pair of shoes and have had to send every pair back and they were from 3 different makers they were all too narrow and I ordered wide

Esteemed Contributor

I only buy shoes online at J C Penney or Macy's since I can return them to the store if they don't fit....

Honored Contributor

The QVC issue is the postage, not the sizing.  

Most shoe mfg have issues with continually changing the lasts of their shows, i.e. not keeping size and shape/width/toe toom, etc. consistent. It's a big mistake IMO, but the shoe mfg don't care about my opinion. And since QVC doesn't make the shoes, the sizing discrepancies are nothing to do with QVC. If a Clark's shoe or a Ryka, Vionic, Skechers, etc. doesn't fit when ordered from QVC, it wouldn't have fit if you bought it at the Clark's or Skechers store either.

I am certainly one who buys from free shipping & return shoe sites, for the obvious reasons. Within the past 2 weeks I researched a pair of Vionics. The price of the shoes was the same everywhere. QVC shipped it free. The Vionic site charges for shipping but returns are free (big deal - you have to pay for shipping again if you want to try a different size). I bought this particular pair from Zappos because of the free shipping/returns policy, but several others do it to. I also use Shoebuy. Although I doubted I'd need to return them (I didn't), the idea that I'd have to fork out $5-8 to do so plus more to exchange a size meant I just will not do that if I have a choice.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Frequent Contributor

Tantallum99,

You might want to check out www.reyers.com. Reyers is a shoe department store located in Sharon, PA (about 1.5 hours north of Pittsburgh) and they specialize in offering a selection of (not just one or two pair) fashionable (not ugly) shoes for hard-to-fit feet. My ex-husband had an unusual foot size (13B), and Reyers was the only place we could find attractive shoes for him. His sister also had very large, very narrow feet, and she never had trouble finding good-looking ladies shoes there.